Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Born in the USA, Living in Wales: We got us a misfire!

brownnova

Just saw Dollywobbler's video on Bonk. First time i actually see a car starting its AS life and then airing in a video! 

That cubby hole in the roof with the "PUSH" referred in there would be to tape a garage door opener in there, with the "PUSH" rubber button making pressure on the garage remote itself

11 hours ago, OM646 said:

Just saw Dollywobbler's video on Bonk. First time i actually see a car starting its AS life and then airing in a video! 

That cubby hole in the roof with the "PUSH" referred in there would be to tape a garage door opener in there, with the "PUSH" rubber button making pressure on the garage remote itself

Ahhh... I did wonder! Now I know! Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Never realised quite how long these were until seeing a couple of the photos above.

I really do need to get something American on fleet one day.  Still fancy an early Cherokee...

Amazingly it’s only 12 CMS longer than the C5 we have... and only 3 CMS wider. Shows how cars have bloated. 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Shows how cars have bloated

True. Pretty much everything on the road dwarfs my W203, and yet everyone still sees it as a "big car" around here 

On 10/04/2021 at 07:49, brownnova said:

Ahhh... I did wonder! Now I know! Thanks! 

Amazingly it’s only 12 CMS longer than the C5 we have... and only 3 CMS wider. Shows how cars have bloated. 

Didn't realise @cms206 had become a form of measurement now? Is it an American thing? 

Thought about installing the cheap Chinese radio I’d bought today...

A44421E6-A614-439F-B3D3-86C3EDCF72AA.jpeg

Gotta love random wire colouring none of them match! So it’s off to the HBOL for the wiring diagram and play match the colours... but there’s no red one on the wiring diagram! 

Then realise I have no wire connectors anyway... goody.

Hadn’t used bonk the magic wagon much this week, the MX5 has been preferred for commuting due to that yellow thing being in the sky here in Wales.

Today we took it to the far off and mystical land of England! Via a short walk in Wales where I parked it next to a huge bloated modern car... 

C7B78681-B091-423F-B8B0-8DA611531D49.jpeg

But the biggest development was that I filled the big hole in the centre console... 

910BFD16-D239-461C-A8C3-DB9795A93DFC.jpeg

2BC395CE-E0FA-4859-B334-4FEDFD73E075.jpeg

Cheap Chinese shit (under £25 off Amazon). But it has Bluetooth and an aux port, and considering I didn’t actually know if any of it would work it wasn’t worth spending much! The biggest challenge was mental rather than anything else. Matching the wires up meant going back to the HBOL and looking at the wiring diagram, and then writing a list of what wire does what with its corresponding wires from the stereo in the stereo manual. Once at the car I realised that the colours on the actual wires near no resemblance to those listed on the stereo itself... there’s a sticker with the correct wiring on the top though, so that was sorted fairly quickly... and... 

• brownnova changed the title to Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Born in the USA, MoT’d in Wales! Cheap ICE.
37 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Hadn’t used bonk the magic wagon much this week, the MX5 has been preferred for commuting due to that yellow thing being in the sky here in Wales.

Today we took it to the far off and mystical land of England! Via a short walk in Wales where I parked it next to a huge bloated modern car... 

But the biggest development was that I filled the big hole in the centre console... 

Cheap Chinese shit (under £25 off Amazon). But it has Bluetooth and an aux port, and considering I didn’t actually know if any of it would work it wasn’t worth spending much! The biggest challenge was mental rather than anything else. Matching the wires up meant going back to the HBOL and looking at the wiring diagram, and then writing a list of what wire does what with its corresponding wires from the stereo in the stereo manual. Once at the car I realised that the colours on the actual wires near no resemblance to those listed on the stereo itself... there’s a sticker with the correct wiring on the top though, so that was sorted fairly quickly... and... 

IMG_9637.MOV 34.99 MB · 1 download

Perfect choonz,  needs a playlist (or Now 6-10...)

10 hours ago, brownnova said:

IMG_9637.MOV 34.99 MB · 3 downloads

It's a shame it's playing shit music, I'd send it back and complain. 

10 hours ago, Tim_E said:

It's a shame it's playing shit music, I'd send it back and complain. 

I can’t control what greatest hits radio was playing, previously it was SOS by Abba... which was equally appropriate! 

(I’m more of a rock man myself, but it would do Bluetooth music and video at the same time)

• brownnova changed the title to Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Born in the USA, Living in Wales: Mirror mirror on the wall…

Has it really been 9 months since I last updated the Trans Sport thread!!?

In that year we have been to shows: 

B466E244-FBD2-42FD-8DF9-68B748B9F7F5.jpeg

Found a TransSport fwend: 

6BE74A94-5C7C-4AB4-ACE7-B8261754B405.jpegEDC6CB9F-3348-4327-B6E2-6F4C9C75E193.jpeg

Been in a magazine photo shoot for Cheshire life: 

2B43BE3E-DDBE-469A-ACDF-46AA1723A762.jpeg2863F652-FC1A-405E-B666-FD2DB7626EF0.jpeg

And back to car events this month! 
7F456463-D5AB-4F99-961A-E81CA68D7482.jpeg

Part of the reason for few updates is the lack of issues it has presented me with. I’ve used it a good bit over the last 12 months and beyond a small job on the back brakes it’s been pretty reliable. Even after I took it off the road for a couple of months over the winter it fired up first time.

One thing which was a minor issue from when I bought it was the wrong mirror on the passenger side was broken, so I ordered up a replacement from Latvia, and it arrived. But as I wasn’t using it over winter I left it be. Until yesterday… it was snowing on and off and my daughter was napping in the car so it seemed the most appropriate time to do a little job. 
0BAE07E8-9D5C-44E9-BB07-A39721242AB7.jpeg

The old one came off in two pieces which of the new one had hadnt had rounded screws would have been simple as I would have needed only remove the actual mirror part. So with the first a doddle to remove, but the second part involves recessed bolts and I had to buy a long reach socket to get it off. 
2A6B3F5A-4EA0-4A8D-B78A-0CE9E9F24556.jpeg

Once off it was a very simple 5 min job to fit the new one… although I did manage to break a clip on the door trim… d’oh! 
CE8F790A-ACD6-498C-BEA7-8D5D67367B0C.jpeg

Result! 

Next job is to be able to see this light again… 

C701F2FF-ECC7-4FCE-BA48-62D5620C39C3.jpeg

The boot lock seems to have jammed, so we’ve not been able to open the boot for a few months. Not quite sure how to approach that one… 

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

The 3800 V6 is an ultra-reliable lump. Goes forever, doesn't go wrong. 

The bloke with the 800 in the Cheshire Life pic has one of my old 416s. I regret selling that one but he's done a fantastic job restoring it. 

Chris is a nice chap, he has a helluva collection! I’d love to go and see it! 

1 hour ago, Sunny Jim said:

Can you climb into the boot and remove the trim from the tailgate? It might* reveal part of a mechanism you can pull to release it.

*worked for me on my BX but the button is above the lock and I was able to pull the connecting rod

IMG_20200814_174243.thumb.jpg.7a7ed6b7402b4ade76f518282809bad8.jpg

sadly it looks like you can’t remove the trim easily without the boot open… but I’m going to interrogate the various manuals and see. 

5 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

Can you climb into the boot and remove the trim from the tailgate? It might* reveal part of a mechanism you can pull to release it.

*worked for me on my BX but the button is above the lock and I was able to pull the connecting rod

You can do the same via the number plate light lenses, should you ever get locked out (or wish to take up a (very limited) life of crime breaking into BXs).