Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Born in the USA, Living in Wales: We got us a misfire!

brownnova

That's ace and so different from Euro MPVs! Please bring to FOD so I can have a go. It looks almost identical to this one seen at a local show back in pre-Covid times, also UK reg from new so it looks like some enterprising soul was importing them back in the day.

K283 XOG - 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport 3800 GT

And this blue one was an unexpected on the road spot, another UK reg from new.

J797 LDL - 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport 3100 SE

I had the Majorette toy too in both red and black forms.

Calls MoT centre... 

“can I book in for an MoT please” 

“3PM today sir?”

”Erm... ok then”

”What car is it”

”A Pontiac Trans Sport”

“Erm.. how do you spell that?”

Thats a bit quicker than planned. I had planned to wire brush the sills and treat them pre test as there’s some surface corrosion... but I think they’ll be ok.

The moment of truth will be sooner than expected... great buy or massive mistake? 

• brownnova changed the title to Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Test booked “How do you spell Pontiac?”
14 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Marvellous.

I lived in the states for seven years and I genuinely can't remember seeing one on the road. In Texas at least they are extinct.

I've seen a few around here. There's even a ratty looking Aztek.

Americans really had forgotten how to do "coherent styling" hadn't they.  That looks like it was designed by three people who weren't talking to each other.  One did up to the B-pillar, one did behind it, and the other one did from the waistline down.

I rather like the three-spoke wheels on the red one though.  Properly 80s style about them.

6 hours ago, brownnova said:

”A Pontiac Trans Sport”

“Erm.. how do you spell that?”

In the olden days, before we did woke or even PC, an American I met with a particularly red neck told me that Pontiac was in fact an acronymn 

Poor Old N*****, Thinks It's A Cadillac.

I apologise in advance for any offence caused to anyone, or on behalf of someone else.

• brownnova changed the title to Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Bonk the Magic Wagon failed its MoT... (but not too badly)

Arrived at the test station full of trepidation. As ever (when I arrive in something old and interesting) the tyre fitters came out in force to have a gander. P the tester expressed that he thought I was a nutter and set to the ground based tests...

9BF279F4-87B6-490F-AEF2-62A0DF915A9C.jpeg

Within a few minutes he started making noises about how impressed he was... and then started gushing about how much he liked it! P is a good one, and I trust his judgement, so I was pleased when the on the ground tests were concluded with a flying pass... 

Of course it was the corrosion aspect which gave me the most worries... so up we go.. 

85AD4517-DA2F-4078-BD49-6DB2030A10E1.jpeg

Now my check underneath hasn’t revealed any issues and the front of the car was passed as in good nick (a 20p sized hole in a non-prescribed area notwithstanding) but I’d spotted the problem before he did... the spring mounting looked very suspect! 
A4D16269-170A-4C7F-8D1A-CA33E323A846.jpeg

From the ground it was impossible to see just how bad it was... but that ain’t good! The rest of the axle looks good, so he suggested a friend who could weld it... the other side was slightly better but not much... so both sides will be done. 

The wobble things about part of the test was next and the track rod end ball joint was “a bit shot” Very fair fails and on all other counts a “very impressed” 

So the magic wagon is already with the welder and it’s getting it’s attention tomorrow. Need to source a track rod end and get it fitted. One advisory for a tyre which tbh I don’t much like the look of either. So that’ll be changed too. Then we’ll be back in action! 

29 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

And if you choose the 3 day shipping it really is, also with the benefit of prepaid VAT and Duty. I ordered a part on Thursday and it arrived today as promised, at less than the cost of a UK supplier quoting a 10 day delivery.

And as a super bonus you get a free fridge / toolbox magnet.

1616442636232796798464594036090.jpg

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I hope that turns out to be as easy as it sounds!

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I knew as someone said that someone else would find it for me 😂😂

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

I knew as someone said that someone else would find it for me 😂😂

To be fair, that took seconds, as Rock Auto is the easiest site to use of EVAH - it'll be your best friend for Pontiac bits. Do check what you can get for your other cars from them too as parts are ultra reasonable - I've had quite a few Honda bits off them for my Civics and Rovers in the past - including fuel relays and auto shifter cables that Rover bods in the UK think are NLA.