Endurance Racing in a £200 Car. You guys would love it.

cozmcrae

driftland/lochgelly is not motosport uk licensed for racing, you dont have the medical support you do at knockhill nor are the marshals msuk trained, plus knowing a few lads that have done these events they are a bit rough and ready.... the car might be cheap but any driver would still want decent safety gear like race suit, gloves, boots and helmet. allow about a grand for that

4 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

driftland/lochgelly is not motosport uk licensed for racing, you dont have the medical support you do at knockhill nor are the marshals msuk trained, plus knowing a few lads that have done these events they are a bit rough and ready.... the car might be cheap but any driver would still want decent safety gear like race suit, gloves, boots and helmet. allow about a grand for that

I've got all that as I race in a few MSUK/FIA series. I also have a Corsa that's functionally good but worthless. Match made in heaven!

1 minute ago, big_al_granvia said:

The cheapest race series in the UK that are licensed are the C1 cup and the KA series and they both cost around 15k a piece for everything. Thats ludicrous amounts of money for your normal person so I am all for these rough and ready events that allow people to get a taste of racing without bankrupting themselves. Everyone there was only wearing a helmet so there are definitely loads of people who are happy  to give it a go. 

46 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

Also, as it is not MSUK registered, if you take part in it and MSUK find out, they will revoke your licence and give you a lifetime ban.

MSUK - Promoting grass roots motorsport........

2 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

you wont get a ban. for me it is the safety aspect

Certainly up to two years ago (not checked more recently) the blue book contains details of not entering non MSUK events and the consequences are up to a lifetime ban.

I am a registered MSUK Marshall so am supposed to follow this stuff. Agree with the bit about safety though.

14 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Certainly up to two years ago (not checked more recently) the blue book contains details of not entering non MSUK events and the consequences are up to a lifetime ban.

I am a registered MSUK Marshall so am supposed to follow this stuff. Agree with the bit about safety though.

They'd have to ban half the sprint lads and a huge number of rally lads if that was the case, not to mention the huge number of banger racers who also do MUK sanctioned events. I can find no mention of this anywhere in section C (Judicial) or Section H (Licenses). If it's somewhere else it simply isn't enforced.

48 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

Aye the hardies are running it on a day to day basis

Jeek and Rennie leaving seemed a bit of the blue but you never know what is going on in the background. 
I mind a few years ago a few rumours there were secret plans to extend the track to try and make it a full size circuit. 

Where are these events running, fairly sure the EA would have something to say about impromptu racing events involving cars potentially pissing fluids out all over the place. 

Reading the rules it just sounds like a free for all, which is fair enough if all the participants are sensible but I’d seriously doubt that. It only takes one idiot, at least on a track day there is some expectation of discipline.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:28 AM, Bpirie1000 said:

When is the next one? Sure we could get a few northern entrants... dunno about driving it home tomAberdeen though...,

You really would need a trailer/low loader. We were incredibly lucky to be able to drive home. 

Don't know when the next one is yet. There was supposed to be one in January but it was cancelled due to covid. 

Did look like good fun... to a point...

If it were for like minded individuals who were actually trying to adhere to a basic level of discipline and a hint of safety and self preservation.... it would be fantastic.

Your video does look like a free for all - with folk being spun out by other entrants for the hell of it.  The goal being to hit - spin as many competitors as possible rather than actual endurance. 

Credit where due and all that - you clearly tried to avoid contact and managed to drive home!!

Targa rallying is now the grass roots of motorsport - with the necessary affiliation mentioned previously. Club level auto-testing is another avenue in to budget motorsport.

Many years ago I raced a fiesta in a one make circuit racing series, with three separate heats or races on each same day. I was on a tight budget and I drove my car to and from (almost) every round. I was the only competitor in that entire race series to do so - including the other series that ran simultaneously on the same day for other marques. Added to that..... in the early days I couldn’t afford a road car and a race car.. so yes I daily drove the fiesta to work... the following Monday morning... most of the time!

CF239ED4-4B42-410E-BB1B-1D02CDC9B78D.jpeg

14 hours ago, Faker said:

Did look like good fun... to a point...

If it were for like minded individuals who were actually trying to adhere to a basic level of discipline and a hint of safety and self preservation.... it would be fantastic.

Your video does look like a free for all - with folk being spun out by other entrants for the hell of it.  The goal being to hit - spin as many competitors as possible rather than actual endurance.

I did purposeley pick out the nastiest footage for the purpose of the video. People tend to want to see spins, crashes and flips more than just uneventful clean racing on YouTube. 

We were spun by another driver once and it was more of an accident tbh. Everyone was there to have a good time and the biggest danger was the 'riskier' driving. Because the cars were garbage, the track was so narrow and 'rubbing' was less of a problem, quite a few drivers were carrying out some hella ballsy overtakes etc that you wouldnt see in a real race series. Also from what I saw, the most aggressive drivers had the most bashed up cars at the end. It wasn't just 2 or 3 d-heads wrecking everyone else's car then laughing at the end. 

9 minutes ago, cozmcrae said:

I did purposeley pick out the nastiest footage for the purpose of the video. People tend to want to see spins, crashes and flips more than just uneventful clean racing on YouTube. 

We were spun by another driver once and it was more of an accident tbh. Everyone was there to have a good time and the biggest danger was the 'riskier' driving. Because the cars were garbage, the track was so narrow and 'rubbing' was less of a problem, quite a few drivers were carrying out some hella ballsy overtakes etc that you wouldnt see in a real race series. Also from what I saw, the most aggressive drivers had the most bashed up cars at the end. It wasn't just 2 or 3 d-heads wrecking everyone else's car then laughing at the end. 

Clever editing?!!

Nice to see more Aberdeen-based shiters turning up!

I'd be interested in at least spectating one of these events, or I could even offer my services as a driver. I don't have storage or transport facilities though, but I can bodge competently.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, Faker said:

Targa rallying is now the grass roots of motorsport - with the necessary affiliation mentioned previously. Club level auto-testing is another avenue in to budget motorsport.

I'd add 12 car rallies to the grass roots list to (I'd argue even more grassroots than targa!). 2-3 hours of competitive navigational rallying for less than the cost of a restaurant meal! Was planning to start doing it last year to tide me over til stage rallies but Covid put paid to that.