Rolling mot exception ending?

Rustybullethole

8 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Yes.  They're still needed for 4x4 vehicles where you cannot rotate one wheel at a time due to viscous couplings.  It's also much easier to get a pass using a tapley than it is on the rollers.  This would be one of the items I'd think was reasonable in the "reduced" MOT mentioned above.. just a simple tapley meter deceleraton test.

Meggersdog has this weird little calibrated accelerometer thing that does the same job; it looks like one of the remote mines from Goldeneye 64 but bright green. 

He stuck it on the seat and did some going and stopping to see what values it came up with. 

You use one in place of a floor mounted Tapley, I believe. 

He had to use it the last time he tested my Piazza as it has a 'jst drop in Chevette m9' LSD fitted. 

Also used when the vehicle in question is too narrow to fit on the rollers as per this amusing anecdote from the RUM car forums :)

I used to own an AC Acedes Model 67 invalid tricycle.  I took it to my local garage for an MoT where it was found to be too narrow to fit their rolling road for the brake test.  The examiner had me driving up the road outside the garage with a Tapley meter on the floor with him following behind in the works truck.  When he flashed his lights, I pushed the brake lever as hard as I could and he would rush round to note the reading on the decelerometer. 

We did this three times to get an average reading before the garage owner, mindful of the time that his mechanic was taking, told him to write me a f***ing ticket, get the f***ing heap of s**t out of his garage and f**k off.