Haynes Manuels

sierraman

I have a stack of them here if anyone wants one, there's some fairly obscure models in there - Chrysler 180 anyone?  I don't know how many earlier 70s Datsun Cherries and Toyota 1000s are left, either.

The Cavalier one's gone but I think all the others are still here.

Edit: I lie, the Chrysler one is actually an Autodata book.  

I have sold a lot on ebay,  and some have gone for up to £20 though a minimal profit is the case for those where there are more manuals than demand.  I had one for I think a Renault 30.  I looked on Howmanyleft.com and there were about ten, but there were 13 manuals for sale on ebay.  Thinking that my chances were slim, I advertised it and was surprised that it sold to someone in Germany.  I got a load from a man who died but it was mostly re-homing rather than getting rich.  I'll never know why he had quite so many.

1 minute ago, lisbon_road said:

I have sold a lot on ebay,  and some have gone for up to £20 though a minimal profit is the case for those where there are more manuals than demand.  I had one for I think a Renault 30.  I looked on Howmanyleft.com and there were about ten, but there were 13 manuals for sale on ebay.  Thinking that my chances were slim, I advertised it and was surprised that it sold to someone in Germany.  I got a load from a man who died but it was mostly re-homing rather than getting rich.  I'll never know why he had quite so many.

I've got two for a Mazda Montrose. I think there are only 6 left on the road and one owner is on here!

I used to buy Haynes manuals because I have always been interested in the nuts and bolts of car design and before the internet, there was little else cheaply available to shine a light into these oily corners.

For an owner / mechanic, some of the manuals were encouragingly thin - Princess / Ambassador for example.

And some were uselessly thick - Audi 80 mk1: pages and pages of generalised information and useless wiring info.  Useless because wiring varied so much from model to model. This was also the first Haynes I found errors in. 

I do have a Haynes Porsche 911 manual, for pre ‘83 cars. It really is pretty comprehensive and whilst I am now unlikely to own such a car, it does tell me a lot about 911s that nothing else as cheap would tell me.

That 914 manual that @JimH referred to: weirdly that was one of two manuals available in the mobile library that visited when I was a teenager. The other was for Mk3 Zephyr/Zodiac...

1 hour ago, Blake's Den said:

went to photographs as they were easier for the average person to understand.

I suspect these were just easier to obtain or cheaper to produce.

It may also be that manufacturers simply refused to share their drawings with Mr. Haynes.

22 minutes ago, Bitzer said:

I suspect these were just easier to obtain or cheaper to produce.

It may also be that manufacturers simply refused to share their drawings with Mr. Haynes.

I don't think that is quite the case. I've got a book which covers the history of Haynes and the feedback that they had in the early 90s was that many did not understand a technical cut away of a gearbox.

They say it was actually harder to do the photographs (pre digital of course)