Cheap shite 4x4

Mr_Bo11ox

I recently read on the Prickheads website that any car being towed with any wheels on the ground has to be taxed and insured.

If you suspend the two front or two rear wheels off the deck (as with a spec lift for example) then it's legal. However if all four wheels are on the deck (ala A-frame) then the towed vehicle has to be taxed, tested and insured. Plenty of people get away with it but personally I wouldn't want to risk it, especially on a long journey.*Edit: trade plates do not cover vehicles with no MOT.

No-one knows the rules I think. When does a car cease to be a car and become a trailer??I mean for instance when we A-framed Seth's Oxford to the dungeon it was minus engine and gearbox and interior... car shaped, but does that still constitute a car? Probably the only 'legal' a-framing I have done was tugging a mini on one, which was dead easy, I reckon towing a camping trailer is more hassle. A man from the RAC told me recently that if you are using an A-frame or similar for recovery that you may not exceed 20mph, which is a new one on me.

I recently read on the Prickheads website that any car being towed with any wheels on the ground has to be taxed and insured.

Ok, this is from the cops that pulled me on the M6 and the rules and regs are basically as followsany Vehicle/trailer over 0.75 tonne must be brakedany vehicle/trailer must not exceed the tow vehicles towing limitThe A Frame makes the towed vehicle into a trailer therefor trailer regs applythe vehicle does not need to be taxed and Mot'd, but must still meet trailer safety regsthe entire combo must not exceed your liecence class weights...ie 3.5t without the 7.5t provision etcUnbraked frames can be used on over weight vehicles, if the broken down vehicle is recovered within a "reasonable" distance....this is where they screw you if you get caught without a braked frame, I was told that they themselves considered it to be 20 miles or less, but others may notthe long and the short is most vehicles need a braked A Frame to be legal and if stopped you "trailer" stays where they stop you until you recover it in what is deemed a legal mannerthe only other legal, but grey area is if you have a driver in the towed vehicle that can work the brakes, although frowned upon it is legalish as it leads to other regulations being brought into play etc, etcit cost me a lot of money to sort out my problem so beleive me, get a braked A Frame and enjoy being legal :wink: hope this helps :)

Hey WVM, do you know anything about the brake systems that can be used with an A-frame? I know a braked A-frame exists, but I think there is some sort of other thing which can be fitted to an ordinary frame to give some sort of rudimentary braking ability. Its mentioned HERE but theres no picture or description.

I've looked into it several times, the long and the short is its a caravan hitch with a cable to a pedel pusher, it can be fabricated at home if you have the skill....you do, you can weld, I'll take a load of pics later and I'm happy to help anyone make a conversion up :)

Guest Tony Hayers

Not mentioned yet, but what about a Transit 4X4?

Posted Image

Ticks all the boxes, plus you have the option being able to collect scrap from Council estates and weigh it in. WINNAR!

I'd imagine there's a fair bit of "don't take the piss" when it comes to not getting stopped by the 5-0 towing something on an A-Frame.If you're using a wrecked Landrover to A-Frame with smoke pouring out of the exhaust, leaking oil on the road and smashed lights, you're gonna get pulled. Choose an ex-RAC Transit complete with beacons and wear a high-vis and they might just turn a blind eye.....

not really, they have been clamping down on A Framing for the last few years, too many pikeys using them instead of propper motors, plus most folk that use them have no idea what they are doing or have insurance that will cover them, hence- income for plod............... :cry:

The A-frame discussion is interesting! I've used one loads of times, with a 1600cc Skoda Fun as the towing vehicle, complete with amber flashing lights on the roof, "on tow" and extra number plate sign for the back of the towed vehicle and all the rear lights on a board, hung from elastic spiders, attached to the back of the towed vehicle. I also wear a high visibility jacket when using it.I've no idea of the unladen weight of a Skoda Fun, but I never exceed 40 mph when towing and always try to keep on major roads. I've been overtaken by police patrol cars on dozens of occasions while using it and although I always receive a glance from the officers, it's usually followed by a "thumbs up", suggesting that the beacons, signs, yellow coloured towing vehicle, steady speed and "high vis" coat have satisfied them I have SOME idea as to what I'm doing!I know that I have recovered cars that weigh more than my Fun; a Citroen Xsara and a Volvo 760 MUST weigh more than a Fun, not to mention a Renault Megane Espace.. Careful now.....

Hey, don't get a Kia Sportage petrol if you want to tow anything more substantial than a postage stamp (unfranked) attatched to some lightweight fishing line with a 200mph wind behind you.

Hey Bol, I'd go for a Rangie too, even one with quarter of a million on the clock is like driving a 80s leather 3-p suite around and is better for long distance and towing than a Trooper/Frontera/Jeep. Discos are shit - not shite, shit - Don't see the attraction at all when you can have a RR for less/the same mulah. Nice Rangies are only going to appreciate in value, they slowly are already, 40th anniversary for them is coming up and minters are coming out of the woodwork for ££££. Will a Terrano or Frontera do the same?? On LPG and towing I doubt they'll be much in it fuel wise and bear in mind a RR is full time 4wd and less likely to be pushed around.However there is still loads of choddish ones out there cheap and capable of good service, my mate has just bought one for £700 of eBay, 3.5 V8 auto with gas, proper Lady Jane Off Lovejoy spec and it's great! He dragged a Lancia Beta on a 'A' from Leicester to Brighton just the other weekend and the Fens - Sussex run numerous times without problems. I personally haven't had a Rangie for two years, mine was a G reg Vogue SE with all the bells and whistles, cost me £500 and I sold it for the same to two PC staffers six months later. Not everything worked but it was like driving an armchair and it never broke down. Dog's bollocks for towing as well, the only thing better is a LWB Land Rover with a decent engine.The VM dizzler ones aren't as bad as folk make out - cheap too - Tdis with the LR lump will be more money/out of your target range but they are solid pullers. My dad has a 1995 one with the 300Tdi, one of the last made and it is lovely.

That is a barg. I dont think that would have come off eBay! I'd love a rangie, they look absolutley GR9, I love the styling of em. But I cant help seeing them as having some level of desirability in their own right! thus making them a more expensive initial purchase than some of these other old crates.

The main thing with Range Rovers I believe is rust? Discoverys are the same but more so, and I'm told that access to fix all the trim bits is worse.I quite like the look of an early Discovery, but the chequerplate boys have been all over them.Are they all tall? My Series 3 109 was too tall for a few carparks, which made things a bit tedious.

Who knows.

I can understand maybe doing the bit in the back where your dog sits, and the bit under your feet, and maybe even the wing-tops as they make excellent places to stand and inspect forthcoming terrain, but the rest is just twattery.

hardcore land-rover types are a very strange bunch altogether though.

Posted Image