What have I done the Mrs is now officially worse than me for collecting chod caution pineapple content

Vince70

My other half decided she wanted a cheap convertible the other day for the summer months and won’t risk driving my Z3 as she said the bonnet was too long and she already has a Ka and an old diesel A class that she wants to run on vegetable oil once fuel is banned lol.

This time I didn’t have a say on the matter as she found the car herself on Facebook for £500 with a long ticket so off we went back to my old stomping ground of South London for about a 130 mile round trip to the road next to where my family came from so I put that down to a good omen.

So this morning at 730 am I bumped started the E36 as the crap ECP battery that’s just over 2 years old had gone flat.

Well this is what she bought and it’s a real beautiful car and looking at the condition you would think it was about 2 years old so she’s a lot better at buying chod than me.

Shes decided not to use it till April so I will most probably give it a service and also luckily the cambelt is recent but it’s got an exhaust blow that will get looked at.

Its also poverty spec as it’s a 1.4 petrol and I never knew this but it has a manual roof which is a real bonus as I really hate electric roofs with a vengeance after repairing my one on my old E36 cabriolet.

The seller was a real nice bloke as well and just handed us the keys and said go for a drive and I asked if he wanted to come along and said no it’s okay just let us know if you want it when you’re finished.

It even came with a full tank of juice 

21466C67-2982-4B46-9193-876FDFE27E4F.png

DCEF4C4E-8A22-41B4-B562-07D239236EEB.png

9643C4A0-BF57-4723-8F55-A0C877C6EBFD.png

60697809-3884-4ED4-A907-7743462DEF1C.jpeg

E97FAF5B-6FD0-4C13-A99D-2A6F71186F8C.png

858E5AEB-C999-477A-8878-A46113F80904.png

I quite like driving them myself as I had a very early RHD new beetle about 8 years ago and the only real downside I found was it didn’t have a temperature gauge and you needed binoculars to see out the windscreen as you were so far away but apart from that it was a great motor.

It did have one annoying fault though and that was a horrible rattle coming from behind the door card and when I took it off to investigate some had put a couple of hot wheels cars in the door lol.

It was also Australian spec lol.

347989E8-9603-40EE-9DBB-AD21311BC992.jpeg

EE4A3AEA-A05D-4307-BFBF-F22768B44D0E.jpeg

9 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

you sure the A class will take veggie????

I wasn’t sure as it’s quite new being an 04 1700 cc and I did tell she wanted and old Volkswagen 1.9 or an old Peugeot/Citroen diesel 1.9.

Thats what started the search for a new car and why she ended up with a 1.4 petrol Cabriolet lol.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Cats seem to like sitting on convertible tops.  I often used to find a cat asleep on the roof of my MX-5.

I think it's because the material heats up in the sun* and it's relatively soft compared to a tin roof.

Apologies if you'd worked that out already.

ETA. Foxes (and cats) like trampolines in gardens for the same reason.

Normally you find on the new Beetle damaged sills as my old ones we’re knackered and I used a slide hammer on them and a skim of filler and some Poundland black and Lacquer and they came up like new.

This one though has straight sills which is a miracle especially for a London car which has most probably bounced up a few kerbs.