tyre prices

bezzabsa

What the Death bit?? I admit Chairman Mao did his bit, but i'm sure some of these Chinese tyres have managed to bring the kill count up..

Yes they're getting better, same as their Bikes and even (shock horror) Cars...

But the tyres will continue to have a reputation regardless the same as Lada & Skoda did to the great unwashed and Non A/S members!!

7 minutes ago, petermchugh79 said:

Price of rubber has gone up due to oil increases, also the Chinese death ring prices have risen due to the factory closures during the first lock down and now with less cargo ships on the seas the price of containers has rocketed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

I was talking to a customer at work the other week who has his 'good for resale' manufactured in the PRC. He said that the price of a container full of product from Shenzhen to Felixstowe at the current time has risen from £1400 to over £20k. per container. 

Let that sink in for a moment. 

So, you were asking why budget tyres from SE Asia were expensive, right?

8 minutes ago, Stanky said:

I was talking to a customer at work the other week who has his 'good for resale' manufactured in the PRC. He said that the price of a container full of product from Shenzhen to Felixstowe at the current time has risen from £1400 to over £20k. per container. 

Let that sink in for a moment. 

So, you were asking why budget tyres from SE Asia were expensive, right?

Depends on the value of the contents. 

It’s bad news because if the “B” thing is going to discourage European or Asian suppliers from shipping to the U.K., people like Kwik Fit might be the only player left standing.  And less competition only means one thing for prices.  

It’s why even own branded oil filters here cost the same as a Mahle in the U.K.  You can only buy three or four brands here versus about 30 on Autodoc, and ECP and GSF have a couple of their own too.  

Competition  keeps prices down.  I might write to Jacinda and ask if she’ll pay for me to go to Germany and negotiate some shipping deals with Febi, Mahle, and Fuchs to help folk like me out!

16 hours ago, Parky said:

I can get you Michelin Pilot Sports for $681 plus shipping.  Or £350 each!  Mortgage one option, kidney another

Might as well send a container load as they are so cheap. 😂

Kidney option isnt realistic as my left one stopped working in protest at being bounced off the back of a Hillman Hunter into a set of traffic lights on 12/10/76/  🤪

Tyre prices have definitely gone up in my area. Luckily I was jammy enough to buy a pair of as new Khumo tyres off a fellow AS member in the FS last yr, at less than the cost of 1 new budget tyre.

I wanted to get the Stilo tracking sorted  ( thanks to the million potholes round here ) and it's seams they have stuck the prices up for that too.

Most places round here used to charge £35, now it's £50 for the front! Or £75+ for 4 wheel alignment. 

A local independent did offer me front wheel for £35+ vat or £35 for cash, so I'm hopefully going the cash monies option asap next week.  

Then I'll have to pray I can avoid another pothole for the rest of my natural.