tyre prices

bezzabsa

I've went down the part worn route for the Bora. I've just bot two Michelin cross climate in 205/55/16 for £70 for it. Local tyre man fits for a tenner each so that will be £90 for both fitted. They are dated from late 2019 and have 7mm of tread. It was a choice of them or chinese death rings about the same money.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Replaced the two aging Winglong Happyday Ditchfinders on the back of the Kia last weekend for Falkens 195/60 R16 (i think) £70 something each, got the tracking done, £175 all in, not bad considering Costco wanted £250 for a pair of "premium" tyres (Goodyear IIRC)

My first time sourcing tyres online back in January as my usual independent tyre fitter was incommunicado. Blackcircles did me five Vredestein Quadtrac 165/60/14 for fifty quid each. I thought this was actually pretty good as they were less than a tenner each more than the basic value tyre listed on ASDAtyres where they won't even provide you a brand name to do a bit of research!

I have had some decent deals recently. My local place seems to have decent deals at times on certain brands. I had Maxxis the first time and recently we had another brand that was actually just continental but I can't remember the name. 195/55/15 as well so similar size. Around £55 a tyre. May have been slightly less.

Depends and the car though. I needed a spare doing on the van and the local used place did me what looked like a brand new khumo for £15 fitted. I was amazed. 

4 hours ago, Daviemck2006 said:

I've went down the part worn route for the Bora. I've just bot two Michelin cross climate in 205/55/16 for £70 for it. Local tyre man fits for a tenner each so that will be £90 for both fitted. They are dated from late 2019 and have 7mm of tread. It was a choice of them or chinese death rings about the same money.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

That’s a bargain, where did you get them from? I was looking at part worns on eBay but they’re either not that cheap or really old. 

I bought a set of Falkens for my Saab last week for £70 each, 215/45/17. Thought that wasn't too bad considering they are A rated. That was Halfords as well!  Feel just as grippy as the Bridgestones I spent 80 odd a corner on last year for the other Saab. 

A good set of tyres can genuinely transform a car, one of those things that are definitely worth spending a bit more on if you can.

4 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

anyone else noticed tyre prices have gone up !!

just cost me £90 for 2 who flung dung chinese death rims...Named stuff was all over £70..185/55 15 for the pickarse!!

Unless my local place has stung me big time??

£45 each isn’t that much is it? They’re £39 in that size at the cheapest place I know of round here. 

Back last year we needed 4 tyres for the Renault. National Tyre did a very good deal on their budget tyres. A rated in the wet as well. About £24 a corner. Had them do the tracking at the same time. Very pleased with them.

I just bought a set of GT Radial 13” 165/80s for £46 each from E-Tyres.

I hadn’t heard of this “mid range” brand before but, for this type of tyre, both the safety ratings and online reviews were as good or better than the more expensive premium names.

I had four new death rings fitted to the Multipla for £130 as barely legal partworns were £25 a pop (£32 a corner seemed a bargain) and a few pence last year. They’ve been absolutely fine except for a frozen cowshit related incident in -14c that was a scary understeer moment.

They’ve not worn noticeably either in several thousand miles most loaded up to the roof with shite.

F1 auto centres finest.

14 hours ago, SRi05 said:

I bought a set of Falkens for my Saab last week for £70 each, 215/45/17. Thought that wasn't too bad considering they are A rated. That was Halfords as well!  Feel just as grippy as the Bridgestones I spent 80 odd a corner on last year for the other Saab. 

A good set of tyres can genuinely transform a car, one of those things that are definitely worth spending a bit more on if you can.

We run 16" Falken Ziex on our E91. They've been excellent and I've recently replaced them all with the same after just over three years of use. I'm tempted to stick a set on the MR2 as it's due four tyres within the next few months. 

Formula 1 have been unbeatable on price for the last three sets I've had, but I only buy good name brands (Goodyear Efficient Grip is my preference). They were also very careful with my freshly painted wheels. 

I'll need a couple more soon so we'll see if they're still competitive 

16 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

have I finally reached the age where "It were all cheaper n better in't my day" ??????

Possibly.  I have to constantly remind myself that inflation means that prices are now approx double compared to the mid-90s, which I also have to keep reminding myself is "a long time ago".  Consequently, tyres that were £30 a pop are now £60, a running car with MOT that used to be £200 is now £400 and the fuel that was 50p a litre is now... oh, ok, that actually has gone up by more than inflation, but you know what I mean.

I think also tyres have been deceptively cheap for a while.  The race-for-the-bottom pricing has combined with inflation over the last 15 years to mean that the numerical value has stayed the same for a while.  Now inflation is making itself felt again, as you simply can't make tyres any more cheaply (IE the race for the bottom has hit the finish line)

19 hours ago, 320touring said:

Fuck sake, this place really is slipping..

The correct answer is...

"It's inflation"

FFS😁

Barum tish.. 

Just read this in MCN.. buy your tyres soon!

"Aluminium has ballooned from £1075 a tonne to £1433, iron ore has nearly doubled and rubber prices are up by over 100%. It’s all thanks to high demand for the materials, particularly in China, allied to reductions in supply due to the pandemic"

6 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

My 14" Mizzi alloys are shod with Landsail 'deathrings'.... @£50 a corner.

Cheapest 175/70-14 deathrings ATS could get ordered in :(

I've had several cars with Landsail tyres and I've never found them to be noticeably worse than any other budget tyre.

Prices seem to be highly dependent on size - I got a 145/70R12 for the Innocenti for £19.95 brand new, which is the cheapest I've ever seen them.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:39 PM, bezzabsa said:

who flung dung chinese death rims

21 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

have I finally reached the age where "It were all cheaper n better in't my day" ??????

Yes, you probably have. The 1970s casual racism kinda dates you, too.

Try moving here and buying a Pirelli P7 in 205/55/16 flavour.  

$361.  At the current exchange rate of 1.94:1, that equates to £186.  And that’s supplied, not fitted which will be a further £15.

Blackcircles?  They will supply the same for £59.62.  That’s three times the price to buy it here.  If anyone wonders why I still try and order stuff form the U.K., there’s your logic.

That said Hankook Optimos are cheap at $100 on special.  Otherwise it’s mainly names I haven’t heard of such as Laufenn, Roadstone, or Farroad.  We have a lot of Asian branded tyres here, some of which are actually pretty good.  Marshal tyres for example are Kumho’s budget brand where they take the moulds from their tyres of yesteryear and get them produced in some cheap ass backwater to get the prices down.  Factories are in Vietnam, Korea, and incredibly they make them in Birmingham too!  

I don’t know if Marshal are easy to get in Britain but they are basically a Kumho Solus from five years ago apparently.  Probably perfectly adequate for a daily

Tyres here need to be durable.  Our lower speed limit negates some of the need for ultimate grip but of course it still rains here.  We also have a lot of unmade roads so reinforced tyres are pretty much standard.  This is one country where a 4wd actually makes a lot of sense.  Am tempted to try and get a RAV4 or Vitara before winter closes in as we are a bit rural and it’s not unlikely we will be cut off in winter

4 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

I will need a pair of 265/35/18 at some point. Not sure whether to take out a mortage or draw down from my  pension ! 

I can get you Michelin Pilot Sports for $681 plus shipping.  Or £350 each!  Mortgage one option, kidney another