N19's fleet - OMGHGF

N19

They are incredibly straightforward engines, time wise sticking another engine in but have you got the set up to do that and also chances are stuck another clutch in? Personally I’d have the head off and see the damage, if it’s serviceable skim it and belt it back up. 

What’s the top end like? Sometimes they rattle like fuck as they get old. If it’s not using oil etc it’s probably good to go again. 

I haven't the ability or time to do it myself, so I'd be asking the garage to work on it. Clearly this comes with a cost. Cambelt done 4 years ago and a clutch put on 3 years ago so it's not that it's been undisturbed forever.

I suppose I've nothing to lose.

16 minutes ago, sierraman said:

What’s the top end like? Sometimes they rattle like fuck as they get old. If it’s not using oil etc it’s probably good to go again. 

No noticeable oil loss prior to the issue, and no major rattles etc. An odd wandering idle occasionally, but that's it.

From looking through this thread I think you could do it no problem. Time it up with the locking pins, belt off, exhaust manifold off the front, lift the inlet manifold out the way, from memory release the camshaft top shells in a fashion that releases them gradually, lift the cams out then undo the cylinder head bolts. As engines go these are very basic. 

+1 

I've seen what you've done with the Capri and I reckon pulling the head on the Mondeo will be child's play. 

FWIW I've had the head on and off my Maestro about five times recently and I got the time down to about 4 hours to remove and refit. Admittedly it's an 8v but it is OHC and FWD. 

Thanks guys.

I guess it's a confidence thing on my part - not wanting to start having it to bits and then getting stuck, or doing something stupid.

But, as you say, what have I got to lose? The car is effectively un-usable as it stands.

And, I suppose, doing it myself will save quite a bit on labour costs...

2 hours ago, N19 said:

Thanks guys.

I guess it's a confidence thing on my part - not wanting to start having it to bits and then getting stuck, or doing something stupid.

But, as you say, what have I got to lose? The car is effectively un-usable as it stands.

Also build confidence and widen mechanical knowledge. Plenty of help here from those who know them intimately.

3 hours ago, N19 said:

Thanks guys.

If a ham fisted idiot like me can do a head gasket on a DOHC engine (Saab 900), then anyone can.

Just be methodical. It'll give you a great sense of achievement, after THE FEAR has long since vanished.