LMC - Life-Making Chod, a business diary.

R9UKE

Looks like you've got some interesting stuff, and power to you for making such a brave decision. 

I've often thought about doing something similar, but honestly I don't think my nerves could take it. I still worry about cars I sold two years ago and hope they're working reliably/not letting the new owners down. If I multiplied that by several each month I don't think I'd ever manage to sleep!

Thanks guys, great to be back!

9 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

The million dollar question here though is how do you manage to earn reasonable coin from it? I guess location is key? 

Well, yes.  I gradually phased out a badly paid insurance job, so I didn't jump straight in.  I'm lucky in that Northern Ireland has a relatively small pool of independent dealers, each into their separate thing.  I'm probably one of a handful who will market 10+ year old, £580 tax bracket stuff.  It also helps that Auto Trader charge Northern Ireland traders about 20% of what they charge mainlanders.

8 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

What the deal with the Legend, was it impossible to sell or is it a keeper? I have a bit of a mild perversion for big Hondas and I keep looking at one to replace my Lexus RX.

The Lexus RX, another of my favourites.  It'll feel familiar with it's classically -yank laidback V6  and AWD, but it's not as comfy and the ride is surprisingly firm.  This was another trade-in that I'll get around to.  In short, the last owner could not find anyone who could solve an engine management fault.  It runs ever so slightly lumpy, and stores a code for a multiple cylinder misfire.  He was happy with £1k for it in p/ex so my attitude was just to drive it over winter (it had 11 months MOT and a full set of new Michelin Pilot tyres).  It thoroughly impressed, but I should really get someone to investigate the fault properly now.

IMG_0749.thumb.jpeg.d7a80cd5e6b01ccebbd77451da8164b4.jpeg

Again, thank you for the kind words.  This forum has made me some great friends over the years, you really are a fantastic bunch of nutters. 

11 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I remembers those legends seeming super high tech when they came out they weren’t cheap either .

Ridiculously so. Get too close to someone and it tugs the drivers seatbelt to warn you, get far too close and it auto brakes. It also steers its own lane on the motorway. Yet has the same shitty key as a Honda Jazz....

The 407 was declared a Cat N for some ridiculously minor front bumper damage - a couple of plastic clips are broken.  It has 62k and cost me £550  

On 3/8/2021 at 9:18 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Where's @Datsuncog when you need him?

Presumed lost in an avalanche of local government transport policy disasters...

But, for completeness, probably worth showcasing one of LMC Motors' finest deals, in my utterly biased opinion - KAZ, the immortal bASe-spec Phase 1 Laguna RN.

post-17915-0-19092200-1520210626_thumb.jpg

Blimey, I miss that car.

Good to see you back, dude!

{EDIT: I don't know why the pic's so tiny! If you click on it, it'll appear full-size.]

1 hour ago, skoda_fan said:

The expression "living the dream" is overused but it certainly applies here. 

Absolutely!  It may seem a bit foggy when you're trying to explain to a 50-year-old man how to drive an automatic for the first time, but yes, for the most part!!

1 hour ago, KWhite said:

Cracking thread. I'm proud of you dude! And the youtube channel has made for fantastic viewing of late!

Dude, I still owe you massively for finding me this.  Can't wait to get around to reviewing this properly on the channel

IMG_2647.thumb.jpeg.4ff18078e9254e6b02cda66262a10174.jpeg

1 hour ago, warninglight said:

LMC Volvo delivery service thoroughly recommended too! 

Sometimes when I wake up in the night, if I listen closely, I can still hear the distant thrum of an XC90 wheel bearing.

1 hour ago, AndyIggs said:

What a great thread, I've subscribed to the channel too. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, really appreciate the kind comments.

Today was a typical Manic Monday.  It usually consists of moving a lot of cars to where they need to be for getting worked on (various mechanics, bodywork, electrical.... the logistics of it all can be quite tiring).  But late this afternoon I had a really enthusiastic woman come to view my Xsara Picasso, and she turned up.... in a Xsara Picasso.  "This will be my fifth, I just love them".  Mine was a rather posh Exclusive model so once she heard about the automatic wipers and electrically folding mirrors, she was sold.  She nearly had kittens when she saw the old shopping trolley still in the boot.

IMG_2036.thumb.jpeg.10cceb428891074420a9aecd45be7cd9.jpeg

IMG_2023.thumb.jpeg.8b303fbcf92f3193d15c4645fa2c2519.jpeg

IMG_2006.thumb.jpeg.f9d9485e4a407785b292bd2902c06b07.jpeg

As she bounced in to drive it home she said "I look forward to getting to know this one.  They always have a quirk.  With my current one, the rear wiper swipes once when I unlock it.  With the one before that, the radio turned off if I used the passenger electric window."  You, my dear, are just the perfect French car customer - Embrace it, it's not a fault, it's character!!

4 minutes ago, R9UKE said:

Absolutely!  It may seem a bit foggy when you're trying to explain to a 50-year-old man how to drive an automatic for the first time, but yes, for the most part!!

Dude, I still owe you massively for finding me this.  Can't wait to get around to reviewing this properly on the channel

IMG_2647.thumb.jpeg.4ff18078e9254e6b02cda66262a10174.jpeg

Sometimes when I wake up in the night, if I listen closely, I can still hear the distant thrum of an XC90 wheel bearing.

Thank you, really appreciate the kind comments.

Today was a typical Manic Monday.  It usually consists of moving a lot of cars to where they need to be for getting worked on (various mechanics, bodywork, electrical.... the logistics of it all can be quite tiring).  But late this afternoon I had a really enthusiastic woman come to view my Xsara Picasso, and she turned up.... in a Xsara Picasso.  "This will be my fifth, I just love them".  Mine was a rather posh Exclusive model so once she heard about the automatic wipers and electrically folding mirrors, she was sold.  She nearly had kittens when she saw the old shopping trolley still in the boot.

IMG_2036.thumb.jpeg.10cceb428891074420a9aecd45be7cd9.jpeg

IMG_2023.thumb.jpeg.8b303fbcf92f3193d15c4645fa2c2519.jpeg

IMG_2006.thumb.jpeg.f9d9485e4a407785b292bd2902c06b07.jpeg

As she bounced in to drive it home she said "I look forward to getting to know this one.  They always have a quirk.  With my current one, the rear wiper swipes once when I unlock it.  With the one before that, the radio turned off if I used the passenger electric window."  You, my dear, are just the perfect French car customer - Embrace it, it's not a fault, it's character!!

You're more than welcome. I know how much you wanted one, so I just had to tell you when I saw it up for sale! I'm glad it went to someone who appreciates it for what it is and I look forward to seeing it reviewed!

16 hours ago, morris_ital_lover said:

Good to see you back - I seem to remember you picked up a nice old yellow Volvo 240 and a mint Rover 800 back in the day, are they still in the fleet?

Honestly, selling the 244 was one of my biggest motoring regrets.  I didn't have indoor storage at the time and I could see it starting to deteriorate.  I put it on eBay and it sold for a couple of hundred.... I should've just kept it, I could kick myself.  The Rover on the other hand got an appreciative home and fetched good money!

IMG_0742.thumb.jpeg.4ba6120fbd63ce8198184a765fb9ea28.jpeg

I'm honestly quite ashamed of myself for letting it go.  But, lesson learnt, my BX is going nowhere.  Same story with it, totally original South Belfast car.  

Not much to report today, apart from another juicy-engined drop top coming in.  I've wanted to try one of these for a while but not really enough to actively source one out.  I was on eBay on Sunday morning and saw this ending in 30 minutes, and it was local.  3 litre auto with red leather and wood.  Needs a few bits doing - passenger regulator has failed, EML on, wheel bearing drone.... but it has only 97k miles, good history and it'll clean up into a nice car.  Unfortunately Audi thought a CVT box was a good match for a throaty V6.  It is not.

IMG_2353.thumb.jpeg.749ddfa22d64bece9e9157ceae1240f3.jpeg

My £395 Hyundai Accent was due to go out yesterday.  An hour before the buyer arrived, there was a horrific noise from the front left wheel and it transpired that the disc had split in two!!  Just glad it happened before it left.  All good again, the buyer should be coming to collect at 5pm.  It's not officially the best driving car you'll get for £395 🤣

IMG_2355.thumb.jpeg.0de630d6d2fc3681c64fb8b6962bfacd.jpeg