The rusty £150 focus

Tock

Bet that was a brown trousers moment for the welder! One thing I am paranoid about when I do any welding
Ive done that welding before.
I can see it from his point of view but it still owes me £350.
Im trying to not be a nob about it.
The trade is hard enough as it is.
If he gives me £300 ill wash my hands with it.
And spend the money on the golf.

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Right by a rear seat belt mount ? 
Note to self - don’t buy a car off you !!! 

Do not worry, the chances of this happening are about those of me opening my front door only to find Jon Bon Jovi tap-dancing with a turkey over his head and yodeling "Tannenbaum" with a Scottish accent.

45 minutes ago, Tock said:

Within 30cm of seat belt mounting point.
Not worth my license and thats why testers lose there jobs.
Theres only one way to repair that and thats a countinous seam weld.

Live dangerously.

live dangerously.jpg

1 hour ago, Rovorsche said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103099940356

2001 Ford Focus estate tdi 108,000 miles Good condition throughout. MOT Nov 2021, unfortunately just stopped running one day perfect for someone who has time to fix No rust Spares or repairs timming belt replacement 2018 only 10'000 miles ago. Blue, 5+ owners, £250

Might just need the instrument cluster resoldering, might have shat its cam belt.

Tin Worm makes me nervous.

£250 for a non running 20 year old focus. I don't think so.

9 hours ago, Tock said:

The golf would of been sold or scraped.
Its abit tappy but still pulls like a train and does 50mpg every where.

That's a shame man. 

Left field suggestion but I'd honestly consider keeping the Golf and spending the £150 on a trailer or a roof box.

12 hours ago, Bitzer said:

If you see 1.8 TDDi, run, baby, run.  The number of the beast.

Your friends are called Zetec, either bog standard 1.6 74 kW or fancypants 1.8 85 kW.

Instrument cluster resoldering is a thing of MkIIs.

Just out of interest, what is the issue with the TDDi ? I had 2 of these and also a TDCi and they seemed ok 

14 hours ago, Tock said:

So far its to have the welding for free or he gives me scrap value.
As it stands she owes me £350

Get it welded for free in my opinion.

If you get it back afterwards and change your mind - you can still get scrap value anyway so it's of no benefit to you not get the welding done.

I think him offering scrap value is taking the piss to be honest if he's the one that fucked it up - he's not doing you a favour giving you scrap value - he's just phoning a scrapyard for you. If he's a friend, reconsider. If he's a garage, push for more or at least leave an honest review when it's done....

Really he should offer to weld it + cost of interior repairs at least.

Just now, SmokinWaffle said:

Get it welded for free in my opinion.

If you get it back afterwards and change your mind - you can still get scrap value anyway so it's of no benefit to you not get the welding done.

I think him offering scrap value is taking the piss to be honest if he's the one that fucked it up - he's not doing you a favour giving you scrap value - he's just phoning a scrapyard for you.

As above. If you are still not happy punt it on - with the welding having being done.

1 hour ago, goosey said:

Just out of interest, what is the issue with the TDDi ?

Poor starting in sub-zero conditions. The engine is supposedly prone to premature loss of compression (compared to e.g. JTD or TDI). It must be said I have no personal experience with the crude oil stoves, I simply avoid them.

21 hours ago, Shirley Knott said:

I always thought the Mk4 Golf boots were pretty generous, and I've got two of them (And a Volvo) Honestly I've never looked at a Focus but I'm guessing they're pretty impressive. 

They're ridiculously huge given it's meant to be a small hatch back. Bigger than a BMW 530 and my Subaru Forester.

14 hours ago, Tock said:

So ive managed to get the guy to agree on £300 and he keeps the focus.
So i guess this will now turn into a thread about this now?

Suprise suprise the focus will be ending its days round the ring....

Its left a bitter taste in my mouth7b710c8422d576a1d51d374a41c00ff7.jpg

Liked because of Golf rather than Focus fiasco.

I think there's about half a dozen of us here now running them in various guises.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:40 PM, Rovorsche said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103099940356

2001 Ford Focus estate tdi 108,000 miles Good condition throughout. MOT Nov 2021, unfortunately just stopped running one day perfect for someone who has time to fix No rust Spares or repairs timming belt replacement 2018 only 10'000 miles ago. Blue, 5+ owners, £250

Might just need the instrument cluster resoldering, might have shat its cam belt.

Tin Worm makes me nervous.

Focus TDCI suddenly stopped working? Could well be the fuel pump on those, also it says ‘no rust’ the amount of cars I’ve seen that are rust free to someone with cataracts yet get on your hands and knees and the sills are weetabix.

5 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

That’s a duratec isn’t it ? Mazda lump ?

That’s right. The 2.0 petrol on the Mk2 rarely gives trouble, in fact it’s a good unit in those Focus apart from the EGR sticking on them. Decent economy as well. 

I’d forget the 1.8/2.0 on the Mk1 as well, slow and thirsty. 

Despite all this it’s the rust that really is the problem now, in so far as I’d consider an Astra better in that respect. 

1 hour ago, Shirley Knott said:

Liked because of Golf rather than Focus fiasco.

I think there's about half a dozen of us here now running them in various guises.

True. Mines just gone through another 12 months MOT only needing a lower balljoint. Good cars, not exciting but effective. Bloody HUGE boot as well @Tock 🤭

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

Nooo! Avoid the 1.8 it’s very prone to the oil control rings failing. 

Dunno anything about it. My 1.8 85 kW Zetec definitely was not smoking or drinking oil at 300 kkm. The only reason I had to scrap the car was the van which hit it from behind.

Bloody disgrace they decided to replace them with those Duratec buggers.

4 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

I couldnt cope with mk4 golfs appetite for window regs and door locks. Piss poor engineering.

Mine decided to deadlock the drivers door and drivers side rear so I had to climb in through the passenger side (luckily I was a svelte 20st 😂) I didn't fancy smashing through the door cards to get the lock off so I sold it spares or repairs.

44 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I think on those Golfs you take the actual door skin off to access the innards of the door. No joke!

No you don't you remove the trim panel from the inside of the door, done it many times.

Its a piss easy job to change the window reg and/or the door lock on them, it takes 30 minutes once you know how.

47 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I think on those Golfs you take the actual door skin off to access the innards of the door. No joke!

I think thats on the MK5, the MK4 is done from the inside, instead of fixing it I bought a MK5 SDi which filled its sump with diesel.......that was enough Golf shaped headaches for me so I bought a Focus then a Ceed.