The rusty £150 focus

Tock

Until now ive been driving around in a 3 door 231k mk4 golf tdi.

But with having a 13 year old step daughter and as a family we like to go camping once a year.

The golf with its comically small boot was just way to small.

This came in for an mot at my works.

From the front its okay but its gone where all mk1 focuses go in the inner wheel arches.

Its a one owner 143k 2.0 zetec estate.

If it lives it lives if its just too bad rot wise it will by cubed.

Also i need to do discs and pads on the front and sort out the rear handbrake as the osr is doing jack all.

Am i brave?

Am i stupid?

For £150 its a gamble that may well pay off!

Comments critisms and questions most welcome!7d9b5c6813dc888860d0d54406aeea65.jpg2269ad46ea939120590b4ae7e41cd710.jpg27be02bd9325861409ba1f5ba66ea449.jpgc6c7fc2aa75781080c3a2292cc261748.jpg24032cbc430472042a41dd3762597e43.jpg9e0ecc0a8bb43739c705172e2fbbb608.jpge83274fb0683dbdcbc25f46265c67c59.jpgb18d93d93407e2be5f5eed3812d3cf87.jpg

Looks a great buy. And you clearly know what you’re doing so it has to end up being a bargain.
A mate of mine swears by his Focus estate for cheap motoring.
Its very rusty and that maybe its undoing.
Going to the welders this tuesday.
Great cars but boy the know how to rot!!

I’ve seen worse. Those 2.0 are bloody thirsty for what they are though. You are doing it right way though plate it from inside then paste seam sealer on it from inside arches. 

Assuming cause it’s a 2.0 it’ll be discs on the back? Could be the callipers but just as likely to be the cable seized in the sheathing. 

my old man got a 1.6 zetec on an 03 plate brand new on motab. he handed it back 3 years later with 489 miles on the clock.  it had actually done 18,000 but the speedo failed the week before handover. new speedo fitted. on handover day  (for a fucking cmax that was dogshit) the sales manager thought the 489 miles was genuine and asked my old man why he handt driven it. im sure they sold it as new.....

Awwww, my condolences. On the more positive note, seats for Mk1 Focus are readily available and the upjolstery textile looks like very common pattern.

Too late for such good advice*, but I think the rot was not exactly terminal and I would personally be happy with a handful of bean cans, a tube of a generic body caulk and a box of pop rivets to prevent water ingress.

Do not give up, the car looks worth saving. Fingers crossed.

I always thought the Mk4 Golf boots were pretty generous, and I've got two of them (And a Volvo) Honestly I've never looked at a Focus but I'm guessing they're pretty impressive. 

I assume you're keeping the Golf to run alongside this? At 231k it's just run in shirley?

40 minutes ago, Bitzer said:

Awwww, my condolences. On the more positive note, seats for Mk1 Focus are readily available and the upjolstery textile looks like very common pattern.

Too late for such good advice*, but I think the rot was not exactly terminal and I would personally be happy with a handful of bean cans, a tube of a generic body caulk and a box of pop rivets to prevent water ingress.

Do not give up, the car looks worth saving. Fingers crossed.

Right by a rear seat belt mount ? 
Note to self - don’t buy a car off you !!! 

Hopefully you can save this. 

I had 3 focus estates as company cars they were great 

NG02UFD

AV53???

BG04WVX 

the last one locked me out the car with the engine running, I’d nipped into the gatehouse at a customers to sign in, went back to the car and it was locked. Had to wait 3 hours for the AA man to turn up and we wedged the drivers door open slightly and used a long metal rod to press the boot open button on the dash to get in through the boot. 

All mine had zero rust but to be fair they were brand new at the time 

I always thought the Mk4 Golf boots were pretty generous, and I've got two of them (And a Volvo) Honestly I've never looked at a Focus but I'm guessing they're pretty impressive. 
I assume you're keeping the Golf to run alongside this? At 231k it's just run in shirley?
The golf would of been sold or scraped.
Its abit tappy but still pulls like a train and does 50mpg every where.