AS communal Rover 75 / MG ZT lickers thread

Cookiesouwest

You done the lower engine mount? Example below different ones for different engines 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232194510957?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=or0_JL91Q2q&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=r9gf1jboSn-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Well the 75 has been added to the list of cars in the fleet suffering from water ingress (which is most of them at the moment - only the 107 seems to be 100% watertight).  I went in the boot earlier and noticed that the headlining was literally dripping wet.  I'd noticed dampness in the boot before but assumed it was coming in through the tail light or one of the tailgate seals, but given the state of the headlining I can only conclude that it's coming in round the GPS antenna on the roof.  Which I imagine is going to be a right twat to sort.  Still, that explains why the car has been steaming up so badly the last few weeks.

Did the lower engine mount today. Old one clearly past its best.

Pretty straightforward job, especially as I already had the undertray off. Jack up, remove two bolts, weren't too tight. Only issue was one bolt fouled the exhaust manifold which required a bit of jiggery pokery, jacking the engine up from the sump until I found just enough clearance.  

Out driving and it is much, much improved. There is still a mild clunk at points particularly changing up at about 25mph.  Dunno if it might be the third mount I haven't changed...

20230114_160959.jpg

Frustratingly still getting a bit of clunking, not much when going into drive or reverse anymore but at certain speeds and much more violently if I drive quickly.   Could it be the third mount I haven't changed, though it looks visibly fine? Something else? Perhaps I didn't get the lower mlunt tight enough no space to use torque wrench on rear bolt

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 1:22 PM, Mally said:

Having being lured away by a sexy 9-3 Cabriolet, I sold my 75 tourer 3 years ago for £300 ish,

It's still MOT'd, but SORN and I know not where.

After the Saab, I am now the proud* owner of a Streetka, which is a fine machine, but has a useless carrying capacity.

My Granddaughter will soon be racing and we need another tow vehicle. Need's to be a 2.0 diesel. I'm in no rush, March will do.

It seems the cheapest 75's are from the club. I'm still listed there, but  will have to renew my subscription to reply to ads, I think.

I'm at the cheaper end of the market, scruffy, or in need of a little repair is fine, but must drive, or be very close to OL15.

It will be kept in the manor it's accustomed  to, either way.  

Anything turns up give me a shout please. 

Quoting myself is nothing new. I talk to myself all the time.

Now what was it I wanted? Scruffy, cheaper end of the market, auto, towbar.

At 3am this morning I bought this, unseen. Which corresponds to exactly none of my above requirements.

IMG_0795.jpg.45a9167e11f6a4376d119994dbc09306.jpg

Rover 75 and zt club £900,  paid the man and drove it home. Exactly like my last one but newer and maybe a little better, only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Mally said:

At 3am this morning I bought this, unseen. Which corresponds to exactly non of my above requirements.

Rover 75 and zt club £900,  paid the man and drove it home. Exactly like my last one but newer and maybe a little better, only time will tell.

What mill and box does it have in it then?

3 hours ago, Mally said:

At 3am this morning I bought this, unseen. Which corresponds to exactly none of my above requirements.

Looks OK. Had a trip out in the MG today, effortless as usual. Must check their site more regularly.

I used the windscreen washers today as the roads were filthy and my wipers wouldn't turn back off. I eventually managed to stop them by skooshing again.

75/ZT Facebook group naturally don't have a clue other than predictably asking if the plenum are dry, which they always have been.

They haven't done it since but I'll need to jeep an eye on it.

I bought it for my son who came over to us for Christmas with his family from Brazil. It was cheaper to buy this, insure it and tax it than to rent a car for seven weeks. Now he has gone back I get to keep it. It makes good company for the Jaguar X type we bought to replace the last Rover 75 we had. 

IMG_20191215_152445.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A random here.

I was cleaning out my garage today- anything to avoid actual woring on a car - and reached deep, deep under the depths of the workbench cabinet to get my small cheater bar scaffold pole and behind it was a pretty unused Rover 75 Jack. I wouldn't say mint but it doesnt appear to have been used much if at all and as I don't own a 75 (yet - this must be another "I forgot to clear my shit out of the house" gift from  the previous owner) this maybe of use to someone here. Free yadda yadda,  I'm in south Wales/shitely/post if your desperate etc no kad rushes it doesnt take up any space and I didnt know I had it till 2pm today.

On 28/01/2023 at 15:42, Split_Pin said:

I used the windscreen washers today as the roads were filthy and my wipers wouldn't turn back off. I eventually managed to stop them by skooshing again.

75/ZT Facebook group naturally don't have a clue other than predictably asking if the plenum are dry, which they always have been.

They haven't done it since but I'll need to jeep an eye on it.

I had similar faults on a metro turbo and a mini 850 

On the metro Occasionally when you pressed the brake, the wipers took a single sweep. Cured by removing the park relay.  

On the mini, it took to not parking, wouldn't stop. Cured by taking the wiper apart and the park gubbins, and rewiring it so it had no park function. Either off or fast on or slow on. 

Lucas wiring. We used to make the switches for the Rover 75 in Burnley in Rosedale Road. Now owned by TRW if you need to break in and see if they have some old stock🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Hey 75 apologists, check out the state of this:

FB_IMG_1678695539503.jpg

FB_IMG_1678695548699.jpg

FB_IMG_1678695555894.jpg

I've never seen any with rust on the main chassis rails at the front subframe.

FB_IMG_1678695528475.jpg

Obviously this is an exceptional case as this car has been left standing a long time. Spares only but at least the deep sea green Personal Line interior has been saved.