AS communal Rover 75 / MG ZT lickers thread

Cookiesouwest

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

Like on my old XJ-8, there is no position 1.

Ah okay, well that’s sort of good news that it’s not capable of being locked in to “1” with an out of adjustment cable. 

It does sound like a weird way operate at the moment though. Good luck, I’m out of ideas too now!

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Are you doing doing this when the engine is cold?

When going up a hill, mine stays in second for absolutely ages unless you toe it. I think its something to do with warming the engine up more quickly. When it's warm it changes up from 2nd to 3rd up a hill at much lower revs.  Very annoying but I think its a feature.

No, well up to temp.

• 1 month later...

Some of you may remember that I was on a somewhat unsuccessful hunt for a 75 Tourer recently. Well, good things come to those who wait and after viewing some rough and badly described ones I managed to drop on this beauty a couple of weekends ago. Took a chance on a terrible Facebook ad, which had basically no information and some interesting photographs but which turned out to be something of a gem.

Owned by a retired couple since 2014, it has only done the mildest of pottering in their ownership and was apparently mainly used to cart the dogs and Grandkids around. Seemed to be well looked after in their ownership, with plenty of service and maintenance receipts and on the test drive it pulled like a train and was absent of the creaks and squeaks the others I'd driven had.

It's not perfect, and if it ends up staying with me (which if I continue to be this smitten it definitely will be) it'll need a fair amount of paint here and there. It's also got an intermittent airbag light which I'll need to get to the bottom of before MOT time as well as a rear wiper which may well be haunted but all in all, it's a lovely bus. Was up for £995, but when I turned up and wasn't looking to scrap it or break it for parts the old boy was happy to do a deal and we settled at £825, which with the way prices seem to be going on these, seemed like an excellent deal. 

Let's see if I still think that after a few months of ownership.

PSX_20220825_123948.jpg

That's a very nice colour.

What spec is it? 

Airbag is 99% of the time the yellow under seat connector. To save you from my dulcet tones, its the one you can see under the seat on the left in the below thumbnail. The 'accepted' fix is to cut out the plug and solder the wires together. If you're lazy like me you can just give the connector a squeeze (with the ignition off) which will extinguish the light for a day or two.

2 hours ago, WillCarter said:

Some of you may remember that I was on a somewhat unsuccessful hunt for a 75 Tourer recently. Well, good things come to those who wait and after viewing some rough and badly described ones I managed to drop on this beauty a couple of weekends ago. Took a chance on a terrible Facebook ad, which had basically no information and some interesting photographs but which turned out to be something of a gem.

Owned by a retired couple since 2014, it has only done the mildest of pottering in their ownership and was apparently mainly used to cart the dogs and Grandkids around. Seemed to be well looked after in their ownership, with plenty of service and maintenance receipts and on the test drive it pulled like a train and was absent of the creaks and squeaks the others I'd driven had.

It's not perfect, and if it ends up staying with me (which if I continue to be this smitten it definitely will be) it'll need a fair amount of paint here and there. It's also got an intermittent airbag light which I'll need to get to the bottom of before MOT time as well as a rear wiper which may well be haunted but all in all, it's a lovely bus. Was up for £995, but when I turned up and wasn't looking to scrap it or break it for parts the old boy was happy to do a deal and we settled at £825, which with the way prices seem to be going on these, seemed like an excellent deal. 

PSX_20220825_123948.jpg

Moar info needed, looks well bought!

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

That's a very nice colour.

What spec is it? 

Airbag is 99% of the time the yellow under seat connector. To save you from my dulcet tones, its the one you can see under the seat on the left in the below thumbnail. The 'accepted' fix is to cut out the plug and solder the wires together. If you're lazy like me you can just give the connector a squeeze (with the ignition off) which will extinguish the light for a day or two.

Thanks for that mate, I had read that it was likely the connectors under the seat but had yet to have a rummage. I'll give your video a watch after work and then go and investigate.

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Moar info needed, looks well bought!

Cheers mate, as @wuvvumsays below, it's a Club SE which if my admittedly limited knowledge on these is right basically makes it a Connoisseur minus the the electric leather. Like everyone else I was after a Connoisseur really, but I'm getting to quite like the cloth interior now and the main requirement was that it was a CDTi Auto, which this one is, so I can live with out a bit of cow skin.

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Nicely bought!  Club SE Auto is a slightly unusual spec.

Seems that way, or at least in terms of the ones that have survived. Did think about retrofitting a Connoisseur interior but I think it'll be staying as it is.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, WillCarter said:

PSX_20220825_123948.jpg

Phoooaarrr that is chodtastic 

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

The Rover 75 heated seats are pretty shit anyway - at least mine are, they take ages to warm up and don't get particularly hot.  Contrast that to the seats in the Rover 45 which barbecue your arse cheeks within about 10 seconds of being switched on.

Mine suck as well. Someone once told me it was because the leather was so thick and luxurious the heat didn't get through. I'm not sure I believed it ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Having being lured away by a sexy 9-3 Cabriolet, I sold my 75 tourer 3 years ago for £300 ish,

It's still MOT'd, but SORN and I know not where.

After the Saab, I am now the proud* owner of a Streetka, which is a fine machine, but has a useless carrying capacity.

My Granddaughter will soon be racing and we need another tow vehicle. Need's to be a 2.0 diesel. I'm in no rush, March will do.

It seems the cheapest 75's are from the club. I'm still listed there, but  will have to renew my subscription to reply to ads, I think.

I'm at the cheaper end of the market, scruffy, or in need of a little repair is fine, but must drive, or be very close to OL15.

It will be kept in the manor it's accustomed  to, either way.  

Anything turns up give me a shout please. 

I think my 75 might be near the end of its time with me.   2.5l V6 Conny SE with about 65k miles on the clock.   Not for Mally but maybe for someone else. 

It's been a good, reliable car for two and a half years or so and generally drives nicely, never left me stranded or not started.  It needs welding to the front right sill (other side seems solid).  It also needs a hydra engine mount, which is leaking and causing clunking / engine movement - I have the replacement mount, but haven't fitted it as the front sill is soft and holey and I didn't know where to put the axle stand, and couldn't really be bothered wrestling with the undertray in the cold weather.   It needs cosmetic work to rear quarter - interacted with a lampost a while back.  There are a few other cosmetic imperfections but otherwise presents reasonbly nicely.  Inside it is fairly nice, headlining is saggy at front and has come loose at the back, rear pockets are broken, but everything works - air con, cruise, heated seats, parking sensors (though sometimes they stick on beeping), rear sunblind, six cd changer.  It's had rear brakes, a backbox, a thermostat, a suspension arm, and a few other bits and pieces in its time with me.  It has the typical KV6 thing of non working VIS motors due to a hollowed out inlet manifold.   Doesn't seem to impact driveability that much.

With a bit of tlc it could could be a good car, given it is low mileage and high spec.  If going to a good home would be available for not much more than scrap money, if anyone might be interested, let me know.  Will be after buying a new car in the NY.  Otherwise it might be at risk of getting scrapped, which would be a shame.  

I know it's not the AS way but but if you do scrap it they apparently have good cats on them. When I had the roffle win diesel on my drive I had someone after it as a breaker who let on about the cats, specifically on the V6.

1 hour ago, DeanH said:

I know it's not the AS way but but if you do scrap it they apparently have good cats on them. When I had the roffle win diesel on my drive I had someone after it as a breaker who let on about the cats, specifically on the V6.

Maybe that explains why I keep getting leaflets stuck to it asking if I'm looking to scrap it ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

I did the hydramount today, which I figured need replaced as it seemed to be leaking oil and I was getting a loud "clunk" and vigorous engine movement when going from neutral to drive or reverse and also at points when changing gear on the move.

I had been putting it off for a while due to the weather and my inability to our an axle stand on one sill due to the sill no longer being complete.

Other than getting the blasted undertray off (and it ain't going back on), it all went quite smoothly, until I had to take the hydramount itself off.  I didn't have the special tool (£90!) and I couldn't find my drift to try and force it round. So instead I got a chain wrench round it and somehow managed to use a pry bar to get it moving. It would only move a few mm at a time though due to access being tight so it was quite a painful process getting it off. Once it was off was easy enough to get everything back together, though no way of getting the hydramount more than hand tight.

Took it for a quick spin. I'm still getting a pronounced double clunk on moving from neutral to drive, though it is less severe than before. I don't seem to be getting the clunk whilst driving. I can't see that I fitted it wrong so perhaps one of the other mounts also needs done?

I'm only trying to nurse it to June ie it's MOT, which is also when the new car I've ordered should arrive...!