AS communal Rover 75 / MG ZT lickers thread

Cookiesouwest

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had an ever slight judder with the 75 on braking recently, and it having sat still for a few weeks I took it for a quick spin this evening and the judder is more pronounced and on heavy braking I get a quite audible grinding sensation/sound.  I've had a quick look and there is plenty of life in the front pads and the front discs look fine.  The rear brakes were entirely rebuilt about 18 months ago.  Any idea what might be causing it? 

With the hole in the sill and an MOT in June it may not be long for this world ...

I hit this with some of the Fuso99 wax and it's really brought out the colour. 

This is still firmly a daily driver but I'm now trying to preserve it a little too. Rovers are getting fewer and fewer it seems, there'll never be more of them.

If something were to happen to it such as an accident or whatever, I'd be tempted to just go all out and get a really nice MK1 V6 example in a top spec as a pure 'hobby' car.

20220409_161117.jpg

20220409_161056.jpg

Mine is still doing its best impression of a Copperleaf garden ornament.  I'm sending the ECU back tomorrow - hopefully he'll be able to sort it, if it turns out the ECU isn't at fault then I'm going to have to try to find somebody with T4 who does home visits (and doesn't charge the earth...).

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Mine is still doing its best impression of a Copperleaf garden ornament.  I'm sending the ECU back tomorrow - hopefully he'll be able to sort it, if it turns out the ECU isn't at fault then I'm going to have to try to find somebody with T4 who does home visits (and doesn't charge the earth...).

Is repairing the original ECU off the cards?

12 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Is repairing the original ECU off the cards?

Pretty much, aye - the fuel pump control pin has snapped off, and that's a bastard to get to as it's in the bottom row of pins so buried under three other rows.

19 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Where are you based about? 

Force Tuning in Leominster have an excellent reputation. Or there's Chris Marshall in St Albans.

I'm in Norfolk.  There is a chap with a T4 but he's on the other side of the county - don't know if he travels, if not I'd have to hire a trailer and drag the car down to him (although I'm not sure what with, the 75 is my tow car, and I doubt my 1.8-litre petrol Carina E would take too kindly to being asked to drag over two tonnes of 75-and-trailer the 40 miles to the Suffolk border...).

3 hours ago, PrinceRupert said:

I've had an ever slight judder with the 75 on braking recently, and it having sat still for a few weeks I took it for a quick spin this evening and the judder is more pronounced and on heavy braking I get a quite audible grinding sensation/sound.  I've had a quick look and there is plenty of life in the front pads and the front discs look fine.  The rear brakes were entirely rebuilt about 18 months ago.  Any idea what might be causing it? 

With the hole in the sill and an MOT in June it may not be long for this world ...

I had those symptoms from a rear wheel bearing needing replaced. Wouldn't have believed but computer (T4) said so. I was also getting dash warnings aswell though.

3 minutes ago, Tam said:

I had those symptoms from a rear wheel bearing needing replaced. Wouldn't have believed but computer (T4) said so. I was also getting dash warnings aswell though.

Really!? Surely must have been an ABS pickup fault though I'd have thought hence a sensation through the pedal if ABS was malfunctioning 🤔

Cant possibly imagine a defective wheel bearing brining up a fault, more like the pickup ring being damaged which is integrated with the bearing in some cases

I stand to be corrected, but just never seen that before!

47 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Pretty much, aye - the fuel pump control pin has snapped off, and that's a bastard to get to as it's in the bottom row of pins so buried under three other rows.

I'm in Norfolk.  There is a chap with a T4 but he's on the other side of the county - don't know if he travels, if not I'd have to hire a trailer and drag the car down to him (although I'm not sure what with, the 75 is my tow car, and I doubt my 1.8-litre petrol Carina E would take too kindly to being asked to drag over two tonnes of 75-and-trailer the 40 miles to the Suffolk border...).

Trikey on the 75 Forum is your nearest man with T4 I think. Is that who you mean?

3 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Really!? Surely must have been an ABS pickup fault though I'd have thought hence a sensation through the pedal if ABS was malfunctioning 🤔

Cant possibly imagine a defective wheel bearing brining up a fault, more like the pickup ring being damaged which is integrated with the bearing in some cases

I stand to be corrected, but just never seen that before!

Yeah. I didn't write that very well! I was convinced the grinding noise was coming from front drivers side brakes but T4 showed ABS fault on rear. The easiest fix was to replace the whole rear bearing as you say containing the ABS gubbins. The old bearing fell apart once out.

Fitted this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272071849535

7 hours ago, Tam said:

Yeah. I didn't write that very well! I was convinced the grinding noise was coming from front drivers side brakes but T4 showed ABS fault on rear. The easiest fix was to replace the whole rear bearing as you say containing the ABS gubbins. The old bearing fell apart once out.

Fitted this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272071849535

Ahh that makes sense :)

I completely get what you mean, the wheel bearing was causing the noise and flagged up an ABS fault, so you found it was the wheel bearing thanks to the ABS fault being logged :)

• 2 weeks later...

Having a browse of how many left. It seems 75's have halved in numbers in the space of 3 years (2018-2021) from 28k to 14k. 

There seems to be 9x 1998 models left, so that's very few S- reg ones, though its hard to know exactly as S plate overlapped to Feb 1999. 

I suspect these are going to be one of those cars you just dont see anymore as they disappear seemingly overnight :(

8 minutes ago, DirtyDaily said:
10 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:
Might last 5 minutes emoji6.png
'just bloody replace it m8' emoji3.png

I have ultimate faith in JB Weld. A new one is £100 which is infinitely more than the car cost literally. I'm going to build up more jb Weld over the top of that as well so we shall see how it holds up. I've had success with similar bodges.

Was only pulling your leg 😁

I've done plenty of similar things before. 

If it works, it works! 

14 hours ago, DirtyDaily said:

My exhaust had a boo boo. JB Weld to the rescue. Hopefully that'll stop the rattling 20220402_112515.jpg20220402_112506.jpg20220422_191925.jpg

That's pretty much exactly what the exhaust on mine did.  I bought a replacement section in two halves from Poland for about 45 quid delivered.  Obvs I had to join the two sections together with the sleeve (provided), but being in two bits made it a lot easier to fit.

16 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Having a browse of how many left. It seems 75's have halved in numbers in the space of 3 years (2018-2021) from 28k to 14k. 

There seems to be 9x 1998 models left, so that's very few S- reg ones, though its hard to know exactly as S plate overlapped to Feb 1999. 

I suspect these are going to be one of those cars you just dont see anymore as they disappear seemingly overnight :(

Tis the way of all things. I'd actually say 75s have lasted better than a lot of 20 year old stuff. But it's generally the same with all cars once the price of a new clutch or something costs more than the value of the car they disappear quite rapidly. But the well looked after ones survive and again I think the 75/ZT will do better than most as they already have quite a following.