AS communal Rover 75 / MG ZT lickers thread

Cookiesouwest

On 7/25/2021 at 5:38 PM, Yoss said:

There were plans afoot on the forum to have it restored but it certainly hadn't happened by this point. It was even on trims, which are quite rare in themselves. 

20170414_122630.thumb.jpg.d262bcbb784d8e53f28d1d2d90db020d.jpg

For those not aux-fait with OVP, It now has its own Forum over on the ZT/75 Forum owners

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Fully restored and rocks up to car shows regularly.

That's good to know, I hadn't been over to the 75/ZT forum for ages. There are some photos almost identical the ones I posted above on the restoration thread, even down to the red 75 and mk1 Fabia VRS on the other side of the road. I had to do a double take to make sure they weren't my pics! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Rover 75 pervs.... 

Not sure if it's common knowledge, but the 75 was immortalised in diecast to 1:43 scale – I had no idea until now.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.18225f91b6943bb2cb49f28370d988f9.jpg

Made by Schuco, so probably of pretty good quality. Unlikely to ever be found at anything approaching impulse buy money, though. This one was priced at £69.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114875913488?hash=item1abf235510:g:0uMAAOSw9Rtg3zco

That's all. Just thought I'd mention it.

• 2 weeks later...

My real 75 is being a complete twat.

I took it down to the garage for an oil & filter change, transmission fluid change, brake pads & exhaust repair. All sorted without bother but then on its test drive it went into limp mode coupled with lots of random electrical things not working as they should. Apparently it's reputed to be a common failing; a wire under the rear wheel arch that's been chafed by the rear suspension. Now all he has to do is find the little bastard, but he seems confident enough...

On 3/7/2021 at 7:51 PM, HMC said:

I’ve had- 3 if memory serves. 

Pre preproduction chassis build jan 99. They certainly learnt on this one as various trim pieces had been hand cut, plus the body engineering wasn’t all that hot. The rear 1/4 panels had been poorly sealed where they crimped against the recess for the boot jamb. Water ingress as a phrase doesnt quite cover it. 

I also have an early production estate which was a diesel manual. Dog slow until I went Through it and made it acceptably fast. Final was a 190+ mg estate in gunmetal  which was nice. 

Just a bit more detail on formerly my pre production saloon (I was briefly Italianjob)

And the only pic I have of my early tourer (built 06/01)

B43F5861-9B13-46E9-ADDA-C3D1CC23700E.thumb.png.40dc4237705c3251ba19158f25e9ffdb.png

And a cheap as chips MG-zt-t I nearly bought a few years ago thanks to a link from @gadgetgricey

4E237DFD-EBDE-4552-B546-37CCF1B134BA.thumb.png.fb775e131e7204dacf78439930105b68.png

Another zt-t I did own, a grey 190+ I don’t seem to have any images for.

Which brings us up to date with this diesel connoisseur se tourer…

323A09E1-479C-4D04-B3DE-FAC4B9054E5E.thumb.jpeg.debea5a47a2c0ffc0b45ea2ba92f60e8.jpeg

On 8/17/2021 at 5:29 PM, barefoot said:

My real 75 is being a complete twat.

I took it down to the garage for an oil & filter change, transmission fluid change, brake pads & exhaust repair. All sorted without bother but then on its test drive it went into limp mode coupled with lots of random electrical things not working as they should. Apparently it's reputed to be a common failing; a wire under the rear wheel arch that's been chafed by the rear suspension. Now all he has to do is find the little bastard, but he seems confident enough...

Have you checked the plenum drains in the bulkhead?

I have also had 3 75s.

First was this manual Diesel Connoisseur SE with driver intelligence pack I bought I March 2018.

FB_IMG_1629311035989.thumb.jpg.168d9f9aee0557f4d128ee6bcead1786.jpgFB_IMG_1629311071522.thumb.jpg.c2cbca179dd9ed5f495ec6a45cf3cdb3.jpg

It was a nice car and drove ok but was very much end of life, it was only £300 with 6 months MOT though so no complaints from me. The clutch release bearing was noisy, it leaked every fluid heavily except thankfully brake fluid but it was quite tidy. I didn't keep it long although I did get the rear arms replaced. Now in @Tams field of dreams.

The next was another diesel manual, this time in Classic SE trim in September 2018.

FB_IMG_1629311089633.jpg.57f2a479921161e612e721d7a07476c1.jpg

Still only £600 with just 106000k on the clock. I really liked the cloth trim on this one. Sold when I won the Audi 80 in a roffle on here. Also in @Tams FOD.

Finally to May 2020, I bought this during lockdown via a WhatsApp viewing.

20210409_171729.thumb.jpg.3712c1ad5adaa0e12bbcf28817dc24cc.jpg

The car was already known to me and I work in the same company as the previous owner so I was happy to commit. He even delivered it to me! Diesel auto with a remap, Contemporary SE trim. I've been tempted by other wafts cars meantime but none have persuaded me to part with this one. The PO spent a vast sum in having the whole rear suspension  changed, 4 gearboxes until he was happy and most of the other 75 niggles dealt with. This was £900 as the paint isn't the best, although still comfortable a 10 footer.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

I still have a bit of metal rod that is the absolute perfect length and diameter for shoving down the plenum drains. And they did block up quite quickly with leaf mulch and the like, I did them every year when I changed the oil. 

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Not recently, but during my ownership. 

9 hours ago, Yoss said:

I still have a bit of metal rod that is the absolute perfect length and diameter for shoving down the plenum drains. And they did block up quite quickly with leaf mulch and the like, I did them every year when I changed the oil. 

I have the official tool from the owner's club!

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Auto wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror and rear parking sensors, all of which my current Contemporary SE has.

Interesting - I have the auto dimming mirror and parking sensors but no auto wipers...

(I mean they do vary their speed in line with the speed the car is moving but there's no rain sensor or owt like that.)

52 minutes ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

Ta. And ignore manuals?

Also have to admit rather liking the MG crashed into Halfords ones a lot. Both type saloons look more gangsta than same era jags.

Manuals are fine, but when the slave goes (and it will), its a gearbox off job.

You can get some good quality aftermarket cylinders that will last, but some are bloody awful.

A lot of people scrap them sadly, when the clutch goes.

The ZT is great. I prefer the mk1 cause I'm old lol, but I'm warming to the mk2. They are getting pricier. It use to be hard to give them away, but good ones are getting harder to find and starting to attract strong (ish) money.

Also the mk2 R75 with contemporary spec, because they have the ZT seats.

2 hours ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

Ta. And ignore manuals?

Also have to admit rather liking the MG crashed into Halfords ones a lot. Both type saloons look more gangsta than same era jags.

Ah yes, but you could have a Connoisseur SE with the V6 Auto and feel like you're driving a Roller.

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Interesting - I have the auto dimming mirror and parking sensors but no auto wipers...

(I mean they do vary their speed in line with the speed the car is moving but there's no rain sensor or owt like that.)

If the wipers work furiously when it's spitting and barely ever sweepnwhen it's lashing down then you have auto wipers!

22 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Auto wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror and rear parking sensors, all of which my current Contemporary SE has.

My Connie SE has all of those things and until about a week ago they all worked. Now nothing works at all.

I'd take issue with some of the comments about the ride quality on here though; my example is a very early tourer - a Mk1 '02 - running on 15 inch wheels & relatively tall 65 profile tyres. The ride is OK but I doubt it's Rolls Royce quality, its certainly not a patch on my old XJ-8 or even the AS Vel Satis.

My '02 tourer rode like that, OK but I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Had it 3 years, cost me very little. I decided it was bound to break soon and sold it.

Couldn't get rid on here at £350, although it was a beautiful car with no faults.

Sold to a 75 owners club member who travelled many miles.

It recently passed a clean MOT.

I much prefer driving  my Saab.