Enfield 8000 Restoration

Will on Syros

22 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Amazing! All that time, effort and ££ has finally paid off. Is it road legal now? Did you manage to bring the batteries back to life?

With the UK plates it is legal. Within 6 months it must get Greek plates to remain legal.  There has been some progress in that battle and hopefully I will know within the next 2 weeks if the car will stay here or not.

The control battery was buggered, but the 12 6v golf cart batteries survived and seem fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

The very first E8000 to ever go through an MoT test in Greece made a little bit of history today at the KTEO testing centre on Syros. It passed with a few minor comments. All the engineers wanted a turn driving it and it was all done free of charge...it was an honour for them, they said.

Giannos Goulandris was never given permission to even test the cars on the roads of Syros where they were made, let alone sell them in Greece. After the months of stress and bureaucratic unpleasantness, the car will get its new numberplates this week...the first road legal E8000 here. It's a lovely feeling.

20211108_174629.jpg

Just now, Will on Syros said:

The very first E8000 to ever go through an MoT test in Greece made a little bit of history today at the KTEO testing centre on Syros. It passed with a few minor comments. All the engineers wanted a turn driving it and it was all done free of charge...it was an honour for them, they said.

Giannos Goulandris was never given permission to even test the cars on the roads of Syros where they were made, let alone sell them in Greece. After the months of stress and bureaucratic unpleasantness, the car will get its new numberplates this week...the first road legal E8000 here. It's a lovely feeling.

20211108_174629.jpg

awesome to see its passed its Greek MOT and its on the road and that the traction batteries survived the whole ordeal :) 

and very happy to hear you managed to solve the whole greek registration stuff in the end, it would be interesting to hear how you managed that in the end if you are able to/up for sharing the details:)

and I am very much looking forward to seeing more on this lovely machine! :) 

2 hours ago, Will on Syros said:

All the engineers wanted a turn driving it and it was all done free of charge...it was an honour for them, they said.

Sounds like they had more pride in it than the beaurocrats when they were made. I wonder if will be a free pass to get you into other things too.

I'm pleased to say that today, the little red Enfield 8000 got its Greek plates...and insurance.  It is the first road legal Enfield 8000 ever in Greece.  It took a while to find a company who'd insure the car, but in the end it was done.  I drove the car home as the sun set and it's outside now charging.  It is pleasant to just sit in it in my own yard hearing the clicking noise of the charger  and looking out at the lights of village and the moonlight on the sea.  It has been expensive and stressful...but now I get to enjoy this car properly. Tomorrow I have a photoshoot! The list of people who want to be driven about in it grows longer each day.

49 minutes ago, Will on Syros said:

I'm pleased to say that today, the little red Enfield 8000 got its Greek plates...and insurance.  It is the first road legal Enfield 8000 ever in Greece.  It took a while to find a company who'd insure the car, but in the end it was done.  I drove the car home as the sun set and it's outside now charging.  It is pleasant to just sit in it in my own yard hearing the clicking noise of the charger  and looking out at the lights of village and the moonlight on the sea.  It has been expensive and stressful...but now I get to enjoy this car properly. Tomorrow I have a photoshoot! The list of people who want to be driven about in it grows longer each day.

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!!!

That is brilliant news! Well done for persevering with it and making it happen. I look forward to this becoming the most famous little red car in Greece!

2 hours ago, Will on Syros said:

We need a pic of that for a Calendar shot. Well done, against all the beaurocratic odds.

• 2 months later...

I'm in discussions with some guys who promote the industrial history of the island to get the car seen more....also offering rides as prizes for a good cause.  Looking forward to the nicer weather to use the car more.  The recurring problem with the microswitches on the accelerator pole is a real pain...started up again on the ride home tonight...and also will need a new "ignition" as this ones worn out finally after nearly 50 years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2022 at 21:23, High Jetter said:

Sod the locals, I'd hope Will is a national hero! I wonder if there's any income potential from tourists - chaffeur-driven tours of the area perhaps?

Me and my motor got into the colour supplement of Greece's biggest Sunday newspaper this week :-)  Fame!!!

https://www.kathimerini.gr/k/k-magazine/561706549/syros-pos-einai-na-zeis-se-ena-kykladitiko-nisi-olo-ton-chrono/

You may need Google Translate for the relevant bit...

Ένα όραμα πολύ φιλόδοξο, τρελό, θα έλεγε κανείς, είχε κι ένας άλλος σημαντικός άνδρας της ελληνικής ναυτιλίας, ο Γιάννης Γουλανδρής, όταν αποφάσισε τη δεκαετία του ’70 να κάνει την Ερμούπολη τόπο παραγωγής ενός ηλεκτροκίνητου αυτοκινήτου. Σε ένα εργοστάσιο κοντά στο Νεώριο φτιάχτηκαν μόνο 112 τέτοια αυτοκίνητα. Και πρόσφατα, ένας Άγγλος μαθηματικός που έχει μετοικήσει μόνιμα στο νησί με τον  Έλληνα σύντροφό του, οδηγεί στους δρόμους της Ερμούπολης ένα από αυτά. Όταν τον πετυχαίνουμε τυχαία στον δρόμο, έχει παρκάρει το γοητευτικό, φευγαλέο ηλεκτρικό όχημα δίπλα στην αναμνηστική πλακέτα που έχει τοποθετηθεί μπροστά από το εργοστάσιο που κατασκεύαζε αυτό το αυτοκίνητο. «Απλώς το πάρκαρα εδώ όσο ο φίλος μου είναι στο σούπερ μάρκετ», λέει γελώντας, αναγνωρίζοντας με αυτοσαρκασμό τη θεατρικότητα της κίνησής του. Είναι όμως μια κίνηση συγκινητική, καθώς προδίδει την αγάπη του, το πάθος γι’ αυτό το όχημα και την τόσο παράδοξη και ιδιαίτερη ιστορία του. Δεν μοιάζει παράξενο, όμως, πως η συνηθισμένη σε ιστορίες πρωτοπορίας Ερμούπολη αποτέλεσε και θέατρο παραγωγής ενός ηλεκτροκίνητου οχήματος, δεκαετίες πριν αυτό γίνει τάση στην αγορά.