Enfield 8000 Restoration

Will on Syros

• 5 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

PICT1926.thumb.JPG.c2e779c7f2e1e481ec1054e1e66b3ad1.JPG

The Manchester Museum of Science & Technology used to have an 8000 on display.

It did...but they auctioned it off.  It was bought by the owner/creator of the Hellenic Motorcycle Museum in Athens and is one of only 3 Enfields that have returned to the country where they were built.  Mine will be the fourth, and the only one that that will be on the roads here.

13 hours ago, vulgalour said:

That looks superb, the hubcaps were a good investment too, they really finish the whole package off nicely.

I bought 2 sets of 4 courtesy of Alec in Birmingham (see teh link on the Enfield owners club page on Weebly).  They're quite a bit deeper than the mini hubs as they were not a good fit.  He claims to have the original machinery used to make them...bought when the IoW factory closed.

20 hours ago, Will on Syros said:

After a pause while my bro-in-law had to work on the restoraion of another car, an update has been received!

Wheels painted and the hubs are on...they look great :-)

The restored chairs are back in, and this E8000 is once more on the move.

Next up...getting it ready to pass its MoT test...

WithHubs3.thumb.jpeg.8580b226603de368c77a1c8b3c064292.jpeg

WithHubs2.thumb.jpeg.d8eabfe2984ec2d5e38dc6967ac485e3.jpeg

WithHubs1.thumb.jpeg.04cd4ca84a6ec3f202b2deb4c6008ef9.jpeg

Are they Mini Cooper wheels on the rear?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Twice now, the V5 document has gone to the DVLA to have the colour changed to red...and both times it returns still saying blue. Yet, on the vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk website, the colour is showing as red.  So somewhere, there is a miscommunication at the DVLA...the colour is both blue and red at the same time, but to bring the car to Greece, the V5 document needs to say red...not blue.

I am tempted to start taking bets on how long it will take before I finally get a V5 with the colour that agrees with the government database.  With British institutoinal incompetence at new and dizzying heights lately, I wonder how many months this is going to take to fix.  While I wait, the car sits in a wooden box ready to be shipped.

5 minutes ago, Will on Syros said:

Twice now, the V5 document has gone to the DVLA to have the colour changed to red...and both times it returns still saying blue. Yet, on the vehicleenquiry.servie.gov.uk website, the colour is showing as red.  So somewhere, there is a miscommunication at the DVLA...the colour is both blue and red at the same time, but to bring the car to Greece, the V5 document needs to say red...not blue.

I am tempted to start taling bets on ow long it will take before I finally get a V5 with the colour that agrees with the government database.  With British institutoinal incompetence at new and dizzying heights lately, I wonder how many months this is going to take to fix.  While I wait, the car sits in a wooden box ready to be shipped.

that is very strange, I have never seen a discrepancy between what the V5 says and the online 1st party record says, since the V5 printer so to speak and the online checker both get their vehicle data from the same place

however I notice its had a V5 issued yesterday, perhaps this is the V5 with the colour update

image.thumb.png.f8f6913144a1535518a9612afbfe6390.png

and the V5's you had come back showing blue was simply the DVLA returning the old V5 to you for some reason?

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

that is very strange, I have never seen a discrepancy between what the V5 says and the online 1st party record says, since the V5 printer so to speak and the online checker both get their vehicle data from the same place

however I notice its had a V5 issued yesterday, perhaps this is the V5 with the colour update

and the V5's you had come back showing blue was simply the DVLA returning the old V5 to you for some reason?

It arrived yesterday. Date on the document was 26th July. Yes...it is very strange. I am concerned that somehow the data are mixed up and this will take ages to fix...alternatively, an issue with the database may already have been noticed and an update maybe sent out yesterday. 

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Not the old one returned as it was dated last Tuesday...but no changes made.

24 minutes ago, Will on Syros said:

It arrived yesterday...and was sent back today. Yes...it is very strange. I am concerned that somehow the data are mixed up and this will take ages to fix.

you say it arrived yesterday the 30th of July but the last V5c issued for your enfield was only issued on the 29th, the DVLA dont normally use 24 hour delivery services (it normally takes at least a couple days for a V5c to arrive from the date it was issued)

so are you sure the V5 that arrived yesterday was the 29th of July V5?, it may of been the old V5c they where returning to you for some reason while they processed the data change and issued you a new V5c

(perhaps they did this so you where not V5c less incase things got delayed on their end? although normally the DVLA do just hold V5C's until things are processed)

all V5's since about 1979 have a date on them in short hand of when they where issued, you can use this in conjunction with the DVLA checker online to check that the V5c your holding for a vehicle is indeed the latest V5 issued for the vehicle in question

on a modern V5 you can find this date on the vehicle details page on the bottom left hand corner

for example on my Car, it last had a V5c issued on the 28th of May 2020

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2021-02-28-00_03_31.png

so on the V5c this is written as "28 05 20" on the bottom left corner of the vehicle details page

8 minutes ago, Will on Syros said:

Not the old one returned as it was dated last Tuesday...but no changes made.

last Tuesday was the 27th not the 29th of July

so what you sent back today was Still an old V5c as far as the DVLA is concerned

next time its worth holding off a few days, as if there is a data discrepancy like this the DVLA are pretty good at sorting it automatically

which it looks that have done in this case with issuing of the 29th of July V5c which I bet when it arrives will have the correct colour on it :) 

(I know past cases where back when the DVLA still included who the previous keeper was on the V5c, where a V5c was issued with it empty and then a few days later a new v5c with the previous keeper details and a letter explaining what happened automatically arrived from the DVLA)

by sending off the 27th of July V5c you are risking confusing the matter

for now I would just hold your guns until this 29th of July V5c arrives then go from there depending if its details are finally correct or not :) 

I blame* you and your Enfield 80000 (other zeros are available) for my application and this subsequent  rejection.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying for the position of Special Scientist (FOSS2021SS-03) at the FOSS Research Centre for Sustainable Energy of the University of Cyprus.

We have completed the evaluation of applications and we would like to inform you that unfortunately you have not been selected for this post. 

Overall, there has been a strong interest for this position from a number of good candidates.

We take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in joining our research activities at FOSS and hope to collaborate with you in the future for another opening.

Sincerely,

Prof. George E. Georghiou

Professor at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Cyprus

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

you say it arrived yesterday the 30th of July but the last V5c issued for your enfield was only issued on the 29th, the DVLA dont normally use 24 hour delivery services (it normally takes at least a couple days for a V5c to arrive from the date it was issued)

so are you sure the V5 that arrived yesterday was the 29th of July V5?, it may of been the old V5c they where returning to you for some reason while they processed the data change and issued you a new V5c

(perhaps they did this so you where not V5c less incase things got delayed on their end? although normally the DVLA do just hold V5C's until things are processed)

all V5's since about 1979 have a date on them in short hand of when they where issued, you can use this in conjunction with the DVLA checker online to check that the V5c your holding for a vehicle is indeed the latest V5 issued for the vehicle in question

on a modern V5 you can find this date on the vehicle details page on the bottom left hand corner

for example on my Car, it last had a V5c issued on the 28th of May 2020

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2021-02-28-00_03_31.png

so on the V5c this is written as "28 05 20" on the bottom left corner of the vehicle details page

last Tuesday was the 27th not the 29th of July

so what you sent back today was Still an old V5c as far as the DVLA is concerned

next time its worth holding off a few days, as if there is a data discrepancy like this the DVLA are pretty good at sorting it automatically

which it looks that have done in this case with issuing of the 29th of July V5c which I bet when it arrives will have the correct colour on it :) 

(I know past cases where back when the DVLA still included who the previous keeper was on the V5c, where a V5c was issued with it empty and then a few days later a new v5c with the previous keeper details and a letter explaining what happened automatically arrived from the DVLA)

by sending off the 27th of July V5c you are risking confusing the matter

for now I would just hold your guns until this 29th of July V5c arrives then go from there depending if its details are finally correct or not :) 

The date on the V5 that arrived yesterday is the 26th...so I guess they may have noticed the mistake and corrected it. With luck, a new one will arrive on Monday.  The one dated 26th was sent back with a covering letter.

IMG-20210730-WA0031.jpg

4 hours ago, castros_bro said:

I blame* you and your Enfield 80000 (other zeros are available) for my application and this subsequent  rejection.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying for the position of Special Scientist (FOSS2021SS-03) at the FOSS Research Centre for Sustainable Energy of the University of Cyprus.

We have completed the evaluation of applications and we would like to inform you that unfortunately you have not been selected for this post. 

Overall, there has been a strong interest for this position from a number of good candidates.

We take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in joining our research activities at FOSS and hope to collaborate with you in the future for another opening.

Sincerely,

Prof. George E. Georghiou

Professor at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Cyprus

Better luck next time 🙄