1985 BMW E28 520i - Good-byes

SiC

2 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Have always fancied giving one of these a shot, sadly too expensive really for something I may or may not like these days.  Plus being a saloon isn't great as it complicates travel with dog.

...Granted, a hatchback with a boot that's stuck closed isn't great either.

Tbf they are a classic that either holds their value and/or increases. So even if you don't like it, chances are you can sell it without a loss*.

* Hopefully!

13 hours ago, cort16 said:

I wouldn't sell it short especially when you want to treat it as an accumulator for your next car.  

Not sure what you paid or spent on it but think it's worth £3500 as a relatively easy sale?

This one is 6 grand and okay it looks a bit tidier than your but it's similar mileage/story and it's a less desirable auto.

1987 BMW E28 520i auto For Sale (picture 1 of 6)

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1253774

I've just added up all the bills and 3500 is actually pretty much nearly what I've spent on it. While I'm not in doing this for a profit but I do like to get my money back on what I've spent without making an almighty loss! 

So I guess for the general public I'll put it up for like £3750 and see where I get to from there. Unless someone wants it on here then I guess offers around the 3500 price point.

I'm going to do a walk around video after I've given it a good clean, so if someone is interested on here, ping me a message and I'll send it on when I've done it. 

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Tbf they are a classic that either holds their value and/or increases. So even if you don't like it, chances are you can sell it without a loss*.

* Hopefully!

Also means dealing with selling a car which I hate these days.

...Which is one of the main reasons most likely that my fleet keeps getting larger rather than shrinking.

Swaps with members here are far less hassle!

Had to go to the post office earlier, so I took this out. I originally picked up the keys to the Boxster, but my mind changed to "why not".

Getting in, I wasn't greeted with the strong smells like last time. In fact thinking back I don't remember smelling any cigarettes. This is despite it being sat in the sun. Perhaps the run out on Tuesday with the fresh air through has helped remove the stagnant air? I think some of the smell that I associated with cigarettes is actually the horse hair stuffed seats (if they have them). My mind possibly associates old furniture with that. Definitely has been a smokers car previously but the ozone generator and fresh air has removed that as the original overwhelming smell.

It was only a couple of miles local run, but it drove really well. Super smooth both from the engine and ride. Corners with a fair bit of body roll as you might expect with long throw suspension, but it did it without any protest from the aged tyres on the steel rims. I need to get the alloys on with their fresher rubber and compare.

8fcdb0620a7225ac354aea62e5857e45.jpg

Definitely still on the list for selling. Maybe not quite as urgently as I originally intended...

I still want a Mini, but perhaps those desires have weakened a tad now this has redeemed itself a bit. Worse case anyway is that I'll park it up in storage for a bit if necessary and have it rotate around occasionally on the toy on drive list.

You're going to end up keeping this I think if you're like me. I think it's a quality motor car. 

I had a Carina E that I bought as a stopgap. Was just "a car" with a test to get me by, planned to keep it until the test ran out. Ended up getting rather fond of it and kept it for 2 years more. I either have to get rid quickly or I keep em for a few years, I get attached too easy. Used to have to give them to my dad to sell as he had none of the attachment issues I did! 

1 minute ago, Spurious said:

You're going to end up keeping this I think if you're like me. I think it's a quality motor car. 

I had a Carina E that I bought as a stopgap. Was just "a car" with a test to get me by, planned to keep it until the test ran out. Ended up getting rather fond of it and kept it for 2 years more. I either have to get rid quickly or I keep em for a few years, I get attached too easy. Used to have to give them to my dad to sell as he had none of the attachment issues I did! 

Problem is that I really want a mini! They're pricey enough that I can't afford to have both. :(

• SiC changed the title to 1985 BMW E28 520i - Maybe for sale, maybe not 🤷‍♂️
29 minutes ago, SiC said:

horse hair stuffed seats (if they have them)

Or something similar; the drivers seat bolster was knackered on mine, and something that certainly looked like horse hair was poking out.

Stick the alloys and decent boots on, it may be enough to change your mind a bit.

14 minutes ago, holbeck said:

Keeping it eh?

In that case you've saved me having 'the conversation' with Mrs h.

Don't worry, I'm still going to do a for sale listing on Car & Classic! Perhaps a bit more tad on the pricey side. So if it doesn't sell too quickly, I won't be that bothered. But if it does then I actually make more than break even!

Clutch fluid level has dropped again. :(
I thought it was the remote clutch reservoir or its pipe, but there appears to be a spot left on the floor. It's right around the bell housing, so almost certain from that. It dropped about a centimeter in the reservoir
38085a0bfe8022785b152ba7b5abfec3.jpg

Hopefully it's just the slave, rather than the super expensive master or difficult to get hold of flexi. I can pick the slave up from a local GSF for £20. Won't really know until I get back underneath and have a look.

Cars.

Looks like to me it's leaking at the front of the clutch slave. Can't be massive as it doesn't leak loads. Probably 25ml ish after a 30 minute drive on back roads in countryside working the pedal a lot.
b5f814e8ce04c9bbc9fa27427c3ec139.jpg
6d610445c13032039fb5923bc5f11499.jpg

Stuffed some paper up there to stop dripping all over the drive.
44d126a886801f58202e6c58b8c03db1.jpg
9bc031e9033ad3c85de63cf1f2bf6332.jpg

Can't quibble at this price. I imagine it's shared with loads of other BMWs too. Hopefully it should be the right fit but so far everything from GSF has been (I've tempted fate haven't I!). Only standard is the available for immediate collection from my local GSF branch. Premium I'd have to order and have posted in. So standard it is!
23818e96f97215b9d1f6847fa3de520a.jpg

Bought new slave
454aee1c7750f261126ca93bf4312fe0.jpg

Cobbled together pressure bleeder from eezibleed caps and Sealey pressure bleeder.
d9aca20c67b26aa7e8d84e446ed9428c.jpg

Replaced the remote master reservoir with shiny new one and fresh pipe. Pipe was a tad on the narrow side, so took a bit of wrestling to get on the nipple. At least it won't be coming off any time soon.
31681392b9959ab7355754a9ed043863.jpg

Unbolted old slave. This was soaked on the plunger end. Definitely the seals have failed and this is the bit that was leaking.
06e4e1fff4df31e5a762c2e3b58f85f4.jpg

Double checked it was identical. New one had the plunger out slightly further but I think that's because the rubber end is not fully pushed in.
f6edb308285720bf517a2acc37975176.jpg

A lot of swearing was required to remove the union. Ended up putting a clamp on the body and tapping a small bar attached to a crows foot. Thankfully it broke the attachment without breaking or damaging the pipe. I was praying it wasn't going to do any damage as I really didn't want to source a replacement pipe.
b7974383249b4ad14438a0f95bd9d1bf.jpg

Attached new master. At this point I bled it. Firstly by pushing on the plunger with the bleeder facing up and opening the bleed nipple. Did this a couple of times. Then used the pressure bleeder with the bleed nipple pointing up again. Didn't take too much fluid to have fluid flowing out.
0066a8660533454df47c727607dce1f1.jpg

Bolted new slave on. Took a bit of faff to get the top nut on.
5d3d671bb25f587b893b0b17a4bc915f.jpg

Then went for a short test drive. Gear changes felt no different but crucially the fluid is at the same level.
6a04b9ea41fcf62a4bf261e68041fa43.jpg

I'll go for a longer test drive and similar route to what I did earlier today before replacing the slave. If that keeps the level identical then I know it's all good. Not much else it could be though. Flexi is fine and master is not leaking out either on the bellows end or cylinder end. Thankfully!

• SiC changed the title to 1985 BMW E28 520i - Going to be for sale for sure (I think)

I'd invest in a tub of Jizer and spend a day giving the engine bay a deep clean, and touching in those areas where the black paint has come off. It's ridiculous really, but a spanking clean engine bay will really sway me towards buying a car almost regardless of the condition of the rest of it. Like every car dealer knows, clean glass and wheels are what sell cars in photos, and I think clean engine bays can definitely be added to that list

That really is a good looking motor; I like the styling of BMWs of this era (and as far back as Neue Klasse & '02); from the mid 1990s they look like flabby middle-aged men (like myself). Manual 'box, straight-6 and comfort all add to the win; really good to see you've saved it and kept it original, GLWTS

I'd invest in a tub of Jizer and spend a day giving the engine bay a deep clean, and touching in those areas where the black paint has come off. It's ridiculous really, but a spanking clean engine bay will really sway me towards buying a car almost regardless of the condition of the rest of it. Like every car dealer knows, clean glass and wheels are what sell cars in photos, and I think clean engine bays can definitely be added to that list

I've never cleaned an engine bay. Always too nervous water will get somewhere that it really shouldn't be! Maybe I'll leave out the engine bay picture.

• 2 months later...
  • SiC changed the title to 1985 BMW E28 520i - Good-byes

Of course it started. I remember mine was more like an ON switch, stick the key in, give it a flick and the engine was running like it had been for an hour already. I've never had such a fast starting car in my life.

Hope the new owner enjoys it, they're amazingly good cars, even on today's roads.