anglia car auction yesterday

hairnet

4 hours ago, Mr Laurence said:

£11,000 for an 80’s Mayfair(!)

Apparently a Mk3 Sceptre sold for over eight grand there today. It’s like mediocre old cars are the new Bitcoin or something.

On the other hand though, was surprised to see that 205 go for only £750.

12 hours ago, 2flags said:

Some of the prices!!! I did fancy the 420G, and the S Type seemed good at £750. The Mini though! How much?

Indeed.  I was chatting with friend on Saturday  about  a purchase and  prices for stuff is just bonkers all round in the older/classic/odd chod market. He thinks once lockdown ends it will return to some form of normality and I'm inclined to agree with him (and the bastard in me wants the prices to bottom out a bit and pick up a few bargains, cos I'm an awful human bean etc)

I agree with you there. There was a scabby 1.6 Capri that went for stupid money, but what got me was the 1.6L Cortina! FFS it was the basic rep mobile! Not even the GL or the Ghia! There was a little Polo that went for something stupid as well. Can't remember the exact prices but, FFS! It looks like buy up all the cheap bangers, give them a good wash and polish, then chuck them in the auction and call them 'classics' and away you go!

On 3/1/2021 at 8:29 AM, 2flags said:

I agree with you there. There was a scabby 1.6 Capri that went for stupid money, but what got me was the 1.6L Cortina! FFS it was the basic rep mobile! Not even the GL or the Ghia! There was a little Polo that went for something stupid as well. Can't remember the exact prices but, FFS! It looks like buy up all the cheap bangers, give them a good wash and polish, then chuck them in the auction and call them 'classics' and away you go!

Whilst I think Cortina’s are the greatest car ever made  even I would not be excited by that ropey L model. A GL or Ghia on the other hand mind........

I have just seen a trailer for the new Top Gear and it looks like the same Cortina at the end?
I may have to try and watch that tedious programme just to get a glimpse of a Cortina, although I doubt I could endure watching from start to finish, it has not been the same since Michele Newman left.

All cars at the auction went well above where I would value them.

On 3/3/2021 at 11:23 AM, 95 quid Peugeot said:

Blimey.

I've just finished watching those, Mrs 95 is quite switched on car wise. and her view was (bearing in mind we've bought from ACA previously)

" Cor there's a few people using their covid business loans to try and make a few quid" 

Funnily enough, i don't think shes far off

Agreed. I also think as the future is not as certain as it was just over a year ago people are finding comfort from things they have owned in the past. The prices of old toys have gone a bit silly as well.

• 1 month later...

Back on again this weekend. 

Not much shite in the catalogue but some very nice looking stuff. 

There is a 2.8 Capri that has a guide which looks cheap, but it's half "restored" and missing the gearbox. 

Starts at 10am

Edit : memorabilia starts at 10, cars on YouTube from 12