JMotor's project car thread.

JMotor

Some Daewoo update. 

Had to run this to work for a while. 

Discovered the clutch release bearing is chattering like nowt else. Skeleton in a biscuit tin bad. 

Screenshot_20220428-201232.thumb.png.c9ccfb2d0da0ff5823b9b2fac06b2c6f.png

Had to laugh, it's no more expensive to buy a clutch kit than the bearing its self. 

Taking it back down to the VBOA show again in July. So I would like to sort some niggles before then. 

The bolts you see are for the ReidChap I pulled outa the Nova. Mucking about with flywheels and stuff. 

SAWZALL GOES BRRRRR. 

Time for the donor Corsa to give up areas I still need for the Aquamarine car. 

Windscreen scuttle first. 

DSC_0192.thumb.JPG.f00dd419b4c09468fe4230c4bd504b78.JPG

Afterwards attacked the B posts.

DSC_0193.thumb.JPG.7025454773a02eee9b91f6f5d0526e6f.JPG

This car had mint B posts. Not cracked like mine has. As they started fitting reinforcement plates on post 97's cars after a certain point. This one had said plates.

• 1 month later...

Time for the Nexia to come in. 

DSC_0221.thumb.JPG.28444fd2e3ba436203ac423910aa5ed3.JPG

Clutch replacement job. After checking the service history, this will be the car's THIRD clutch. 'Kin hell!

These are very wierd in their choices of gearboxes to engines. 

It's a GM "Big block" F16 gearbox, on to a "Small block" engine. Then the inner CV's adapt to a small driveshaft. If your a Vauxhall nut, these are the same as Mk2 Cavalier 1.6 ones, as used on Redtop swaps on Corsas and Novas. 

Sorry! Anyway. 

Pulled the gearbag out. Not a hard job at all, not even a subframe to get in your road. Just slightly awkward. 

DSC_0224.thumb.JPG.df66ff4810dd7632a5836cc6b0264099.JPG

Gave the gearbox a good clean up too. As the last clutch job, they didn't bother cleaning out the bellhousing. Loads of crud and strands of buggered original clutch were still in there. 

New release bearing fitted, annoyingly the friction and pressure plates looked to be reusable. So I wouldn't be surprised if they just banged those two in and kicked it out of the door. Changed them both anyway, well I had them so I'll just use them. 

Need to remember to sort the dizzy o-ring out too. As the engine was clabbered in oil. Aye its pishing out good to warrant a look see. 

13 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Nice to see a Nexia that has survived can not remember the last time I saw one but it is a long time ago.

Same with the not seeing one too. 

Think it was genuinely waaaayy over ten years since I had seen one as well. 

It was a 5dr Ruby red one too. Unfortunately it was sat in a scrapyard...

wish it was still there! 😂 

I'd of robbed the bugger blind of parts! 

• 2 weeks later...

A not so good update. 

Had been thinking long and hard about cars. 

Long story short. I have too many. Plus after looking over the Vectra. It's not looking great. 

DSC_0228.thumb.JPG.266cdc659951b4a13c9b8c77ab27e31d.JPG

It's more rusty than I forseen. Just keep finding areas like that. So have called time on it. I'll strip what I can off and get rid of the shell. Sucks, but it's a decision that had to be made. 

306 is going up for sale soon. Then the Nexia. It's two cars doing one job. Twice the expenses and hassle. 

The Opel and Corsa are staying. Corsa is 80% there on the rust repair front. Opel I've had nearly ten years. Seven of those was me promising to get it done. 

It's not totally bad though. As I've bought a car to replace the Woo and the 306.

received_1324769181381270.jpeg.8fc57eb825c100123bbdb4a083ad4fa8.jpeg

Ignore the Lexus badge. It's an Altezza RS200. Went down the fresh import route. Does need some paint and the wheels thrown tae feck. It should do the job of both cars in one. Have to wait on it though, as it's still on the boat. 

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Gutted that the Vectra is going, but it's probably for the best, aye.

😔. It was a hard decision. But might benefit me more in the long run. 

57 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Lovely suede seats , been passenger in a GS300 back in the day , also had some Lexus on fleet last year ....one had the full chocolate interior Inc dash ... Yum 

Nice.

Mentioning interiors. The car I'm getting has some interesting seat covers. Proper fitted leather seats covers. Unfortunately the drivers one is worn, but the original RS200 ones don't look to bad and hopefully the covers have preserved them. 

received_703577394180577.jpeg.412d641800a0d86718fea93ab7f3d8f9.jpeg

DSC_0243.thumb.JPG.66f62d519689bdbfdc0844fca7c4dc51.JPG

Swapped cars about. 

Couple of silly niggles. Didn't push the gear linkage pivot pin down far enough. As the gear lever was as floppy as a Numan customer after a short drive. 

Clutch pedal needed a re-adjust. 

An new O-ring fixed the leaky dizzy. Thank goodness. As having to dump a load of brake clean on the hur everytime is boring and costs me. 

Drives like any other Astra/Kadett/Le mans. An inoffensive squidgy lump of plain.

Now need to fix the following issues. 

Air con. Nae gas in the system again. Annoyingly I'd of thought the last time they'd tested for leaks before gassing it.

Unless it was mint at the time and something else has let go? Probably more likely as its probably never been properly used since the day it was made. Still annoying. 

Drivers winda is proper pissing me aff. Borked when I got it. Replaced the mech, then borked that one too. The glass doesn't go up smoothly. Might smash winda and use a Tarff Valley feed bag instead. 

A pal has got me some tyres for the steelies. As those alloys are temp jobs, those are meant for the Corsa! So I'll throw those on soon. 

Busy again this weekend. 

DSC_0246.thumb.JPG.c78088035fc1d7d1d61d69a45128fe51.JPG

Stripped that Corsa donor. I took a good bit from that car. It's good to get a whole car to pick from. Instead of picking through picked clean shite at the scrappies. 

Afterwards, I then decided the remains were now in my way. So me and three other friends got it shoved on to a trailer. 

Next weekend will see it weighed in and the Vectra up for the chopping block. 

I wanna at least get something back from it and give other owners the chance of parts from it too. 

Oh pls no! 

Massive want.... 

Best engine in it too. The X18XE1/Z18XE engines are fantastic! It's why the Corsa has one, because I thrashed the shit out of the donor car and it kept coming back for more! So it can do it all again in a lighter car! 

But no! 

Only as I went and got a dull four door with the Lidi version VTEC enijn in it 😂

1 minute ago, JMotor said:

Oh pls no! 

Massive want.... 

Best engine in it too. The X18XE1/Z18XE engines are fantastic! It's why the Corsa has one, because I thrashed the shit out of the donor car and it kept coming back for more! So it can do it all again in a lighter car! 

But no! 

Only as I went and got a dull four door with the Lidi version VTEC enijn in it 😂

My Granda's had that engine. LS spec four door saloon (VU51NPN, as pictured below). Ex-demonstrator IIRC.

VU51NPN.jpg.76401a8956c2c6e3780dd465c1d82b11.jpg

• JMotor changed the title to JMotor's fleet 'o shite. You'll Dae(woo)!

The joys of owning a now forgotten car.

1685743069_Screenshot2022-06-22095135.png.21cecc5a8752321f8ad23c030f974691.png

You get parts cheap, if they haven't thrown them out already.

Bad side. The friggin' thing is on it's second regulator. Something is causing the winda to go up crooked. so I'll need to investigate as I don't want to knacker this one too. They are also getting hard to find now. Despite that one being for an Espero, it'll still fit as it looks identical to an Nexia one.

• JMotor changed the title to JMotor's fleet 'o shite. More parts from eBay? Aye you'll Dae(woo)!

Always a way round I suppose. As proven with yourself. Because sometimes you have no option but to make something work.

I shouldn't  be that worried. If needed be, a regulator from an Astra would work too. Just a connector or motor swap to do and German eBay lists the regulator on it's own. CBA'd waiting on one and it was ebay one I used the last time and it broke in a few months.

Just had the Espero one delivered to me now in the last few minutes. Job for either this evening or next. 

• 3 weeks later...

Smallish update.

Espero window mechs don't fit Nexias...

Whoops! Well they do and don't, some holes match. Not my finest hour.

Still had to figure out what went wrong. Found the problem within a minute of taking the current reg out. The wire rope had jumped out of the roller that connects to the motor.

725321613_Screenshot2022-07-11130324.png.2a8de157efb86ea937222a37e2670d2e.png

Drill out rivets on metal cap that holds it on, rethread the wire on. Weld cap back on. Heaps of spray grease and Silicone spray. Then discovered I could adjust the window to fit better in the runners. Back together and find it's now working superbly. Annoyingly, it cost me feck all the fix the winda. F*cks sake!

Second go of fixing the Air con has worked. Got a pal who's started up doing mobile A/C servicing to have a ganders, found the high pressure valve was leaking. Found a replacement valve. Once fitted the system then charged up. Now have a broon coloured shitbox with working A/C again! 

On 6/12/2022 at 10:27 AM, JMotor said:

A not so good update. 

Had been thinking long and hard about cars. 

Long story short. I have too many. Plus after looking over the Vectra. It's not looking great. 

DSC_0228.thumb.JPG.266cdc659951b4a13c9b8c77ab27e31d.JPG

It's more rusty than I forseen. Just keep finding areas like that. So have called time on it. I'll strip what I can off and get rid of the shell. Sucks, but it's a decision that had to be made. 

306 is going up for sale soon. Then the Nexia. It's two cars doing one job. Twice the expenses and hassle. 

The Opel and Corsa are staying. Corsa is 80% there on the rust repair front. Opel I've had nearly ten years. Seven of those was me promising to get it done. 

It's not totally bad though. As I've bought a car to replace the Woo and the 306.

received_1324769181381270.jpeg.8fc57eb825c100123bbdb4a083ad4fa8.jpeg

Ignore the Lexus badge. It's an Altezza RS200. Went down the fresh import route. Does need some paint and the wheels thrown tae feck. It should do the job of both cars in one. Have to wait on it though, as it's still on the boat. 

Can't wait to see more on this.

• 3 weeks later...

A tale of Daewoos and Peugeots. 

Aye, Nexia did a trip down to the VBOA show and back. With the air con letting me down again 🙄. Small taters really. It got me there and back so I shouldn't moan. 

DSC_0281.thumb.JPG.be069c8bb7b40277025e1bff6be28ef6.JPG

Drank a tank of petrol each way. Which is about the only highlight. Oh and I forgot its got a very short final drive. 3.6k at 70mph makes it buzzy at a cruise. Typically Korean (and Japanese) trick of making do with low power and bugger all torque. 

Met up with @richbraith on the way down, that Carlton is rather lovely.

DSC_0282.thumb.JPG.cb31adce9a3b769de7c180360e736f1e.JPG

Had a good time at said show. I won't clog my thread with photos from it. Surprisingly, the Nexia was well received. But being with like minded GM nerds of course they were gonna be OK with it. 

The Peugeot did a thing too. Failed its MOT today. Expected the worse as I had replaced the full exhaust system. They are always a pain on the emissions front. 

Except it was a steering rack boot. That's it!? Couple of hours fannying about taking the old perished one off and fitting a universal boot kit got me a pass the same day. 

Screenshot_20220728-212043.thumb.png.63c4b53344c0bb931fdf407125e75f2e.png

So in my book the last week on the car front was a win 👍

• JMotor changed the title to JMotor's fleet 'o shite. With added Toyota action.

Promise I'll get some mair photos.

The Altezza I had mentioned was finally delivered to me yesterday. 

It's better than expected. Roof and bonnet need painting as they've been burnt with the Japanese hotter weather. Rest is clean and been told it runs just fine that pleases me as a good 3SGE BEAMS engine isn't cheap to replace. 

Jobs will commence on it just shortly. Have a service kit, timing belt kit and odds and ends for getting it UK road legal. Wheels are being replaced with some better looking (and period correct) alloys. Need a battery too as it's gubbed, typical import. Will be firing in about it when various rust preventives, as I don't want the thing dissolving in the near future. 

received_1271963456708036.thumb.jpeg.2182915bf41de695678e962f5e23e48d.jpeg

37 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Promise I'll get some mair photos.

The Altezza I had mentioned was finally delivered to me yesterday. 

It's better than expected. Roof and bonnet need painting as they've been burnt with the Japanese hotter weather. Rest is clean and been told it runs just fine that pleases me as a good 3SGE BEAMS engine isn't cheap to replace. 

Jobs will commence on it just shortly. Have a service kit, timing belt kit and odds and ends for getting it UK road legal. Wheels are being replaced with some better looking (and period correct) alloys. Need a battery too as it's gubbed, typical import. Will be firing in about it when various rust preventives, as I don't want the thing dissolving in the near future. 

received_1271963456708036.thumb.jpeg.2182915bf41de695678e962f5e23e48d.jpeg

Wow great buy.

When I had my Sportcross there was a yellow debadged *Lexus that looked abandoned outside a house for ages. I kept meaning to go and ask if it was for sale but never did. Year or so later it popped up on Facebook for sale. Was a rough Altezza which was £7000!! These things are really rocketing up so you have made a wise purchase. Would love a Gita but too rich for me at the moment.

Thanks! 😀

Yeah, I'm happy I got one. Heard quite a good few things about them. Plus watching old episodes of Best Motoring with them in 😂.

I wasn't going to be able to afford an AE86 now so that was a factor too. 

Prices are mental now. Don't think it'll get any better either. Could be wrong, can see the prices going up due to the earliest cars are coming up 25 years old soon. Legal to import into America then. 

Ohhh!!! MoAr picktures! Some are mine and some are from a pal who met the delivery guy. 

received_780200166522160.thumb.jpeg.cb9d3c4f10b2694677b2eec816b21006.jpeg

DSC_0381.thumb.JPG.0846bd853e0ec7f7949d6c98f789bf94.JPG

DSC_0380.thumb.JPG.d6d52ec7343739536350f027e3c5f5db.JPG

Then the money shot! 

DSC_0378.thumb.JPG.f90c9f5d9695c22b1636ccd5defca633.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got a battery and some super unleaded. 

Then whipped the car out for some outside shots. 

DSC_0384.thumb.JPG.5d953f8e014832b858ab59c735f2d0c5.JPG

Drives really nicely around the units. It's a hell a lot more refined than the 306. 

DSC_0385.thumb.JPG.f4e0b33797c8402719d886075710fbf6.JPG

Those Chromies don't half look shit! Straight on with finding a set of hoops a little more my style. 

DSC_0501.thumb.JPG.23660d04a88a4e94673e6df697b6f082.JPG

Went for a Work Emotion XT7 in 18 inch size. Work is a well known wheel brand in Japan, very well made wheel. 

I had to place one by the car of course. 

DSC_0499.thumb.JPG.0f29bdb2d4a7ead9be520afd549fbbe0.JPG

Not a great picture. Though it showed me the wheels redone in bronze would go well with the silver. I'll get new tyres and paint them up. 

Unfortunately it may look daft on 18's with standard ride height. Suppose I'll have to fix that too. 

Have got a couple more pressing issues to sort first though. Working rear fog light for MOT and undo the frankly awful headlight wiring due to some HID's that were installed in the cars past.