JMotor's project car thread.

JMotor

Well it's nice to see the Japanese loved Scotchlocks too. As I found this on the Altezza. 

DSC_0508.thumb.JPG.198925965ce52e422dd3fafcddc231fc.JPG

That was the good side. Found LED bulbs in the front indicators. So the wiring was chopped about and linked to what must be a LED resistor box. So it and some aftermarket HID bulb kit were ripped out and throw tae buggery. 

Still trying to figure the rear fog light. But that's down to me being more thick than anything else. Got a fog light wiring kit and another reverse light bulb holder so that should do. 

Rallye has had a little bit of interest. One fella seems really keen, so being doing the small jobs I've been putting off. Like tracking, fixing a broken door lock and other odds and ends. 

Stuff you do that actually makes the car better and then makes you wonder why you never did them sooner. 

Nexia still plods on. So nothing to report there. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a minute. 

Updates!

Big one first. 

306 is gone to a new home today 😢 . To another 306 licker. Who wanted a Black Rallye. Both parties happy. Hope the fella is alright, as he was heading back to Wales with it. I just worry, because I've been on the sharp end of a FTP. Nae fun! 

Second. 

Altezza MOT prep. Threw away all the quality mods that was done in Japan. 

Found tyres were buggered so I went and got tyres on the 18's. Spent a little more on some Pilot Sport 4's, flash bastid me like! Plus it wasn't that much more expensive over a typical mid range tyre. 

DSC_0533.thumb.JPG.ed5c2f66746850a74197d02ce1e6bace.JPG

Also surprisingly. About the same money as buy said tyres off eBay. Without the fitting. 

Ermmm then found a cheap IS200 Sport grille. Which bar a badge is identical to the TRD optional grille that you buy from NETZ Toyota with your new Altezza. 

DSC_0538.thumb.JPG.5898749063673701fe6047e177e24d80.JPG

Threw that on and took another picture. With a pals LDV that he has been welding up. Oh boy that was a project! 

DSC_0537.thumb.JPG.bedf207b74bdc01c52a892e3df765e88.JPG

Tomorrows task is to mop up any last little jobs as MOT is booked for Tuesday. Then send everything off to get it rego'd. 

• 2 weeks later...

We now have a test on the Altezza. 

So next job. 

DSC_0550.thumb.JPG.d116c925fce8ffdcd43403ffd7270353.JPG

Timing belt and water pump change. Do this with every car. Then I know when it's due. 

Was very easy to do, until up to the point of getting the water pump out. The A/C pump bracket covers one of the bolt holes for the pump. So the pump can't come straight out. 

*Sigh*

Off with the A/C pump and then fuck about getting the mount bolts off. Not fun. Because I'm an idiot and didn't get the air con degassed. So the A/C pump was constantly in my road. 

Then finding the water pump had a slight amount of play and some roughness to it spinning over made me feel better about dicking about over four (awkward as fuck!) bolts. 

Shouldn't moan. As access was lovely for the rest of the job. 

I'll get it finished in the next while.  

I've got two other rusty projects to dive back into! 

Another joy* of owning an old Daewoo.

The intermittent wiper setting stopped working and found it's on a separate relay. 

Just in two minds on getting this relay from Lithuania or try a Lanos one which is the same bar one less of the thinner pins. 

963236555_Screenshot2022-10-14102839.thumb.png.a277500e45074c915bcd3f4ffc3dc979.png

Or live with the remaining two speeds and no self park.

Reason is, I was wondering about selling it. Now not so sure. More so with the price of cars now, it maybe worth tidying it up and see what the MOT brings. Despite niggles, it's actually been a very reliable little car. 

3 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Another joy* of owning an old Daewoo.

The intermittent wiper setting stopped working and found it's on a separate relay. 

Just in two minds on getting this relay from Lithuania or try a Lanos one which is the same bar one less of the thinner pins. 

963236555_Screenshot2022-10-14102839.thumb.png.a277500e45074c915bcd3f4ffc3dc979.png

Or live with the remaining two speeds and no self park.

Reason is, I was wondering about selling it. Now not so sure. More so with the price of cars now, it maybe worth tidying it up and see what the MOT brings. Despite niggles, it's actually been a very reliable little car. 

Are there no relays from the equivalent Vauxhall you could steal or were Daewoo just fuckwits?

Think Daewoo changed a lot of things over the years for the sake of using local suppliers and not relying on GM for sourcing parts. 

The wiring for example looks more Japanese/Korean and some relays been made by Daewoo themselves. 

Looking at older Vauxhalls just incase there is one. Depending if the pins are in the same place. I tried a similar looking Saab relay, blew the wiper fuse soon as I put the wipers on. May have to be another original one. 

I'm gonna find out the hard way.

Found a GM one same as a Lanos one (with one less thinner pin). But I'm no spendin' dollar on yin.

1947460403_Screenshot2022-10-14124104.png.416ccad3207cb45671012cdf64a3a661.png

I'll pinch yin oot of the Corsa to try it!

Knowing my luck, there be something about it that'll mean I need another original one.

This weekend saw the timing belt finished off on the Toyota. 

Sent off all the paperwork to the Doovla on Saturday. Hopefully not be a silly long wait. 

Now, I can turn to the Corsa again and fix some more rot spots. 

DSC_0553.thumb.JPG.27dfe657724b30f1d3c5a3fb5ebe90ee.JPG

*sigh*

That scuttle was the cause of the windscreen cracking. The section I chopped out of the Black Sport will sort that. 

DSC_0554.thumb.JPG.20634c220697b5c3e86ba9e4b174523c.JPG

Passenger side chassis rail will be sorted before that. I'll peel the outer layer off and see how bad the second skin is. Should be an easy enough repair anyway. Bonus being I don't need to chop the outrigger off like the drivers side (I hope). 

Sounds daft but for nearly a 30 year old shitbox shopping trolley. It's still quite sound. 

This past weekend was spent mucking about again.

A GM wiper relay does work on the Daewoo. Have fixed the original, took it apart and found a contact had moved. Persuaded* the contact back into position. Now have a new issue, wipers park halfway up the screen. Reckon it's the same thing as what a Corsa C does, a contact wears out in the wiper motor and causes the same issue. So I'll pop the gear cover off and have a look. Glad it's simple anyway and very fixable.

Corsa, yeah nah the chassis leg is cooked. I have the new one sat, figuring drilling out spot welds will be easier than chasing rust back. Then fit the other outrigger I have too. Great chance to fire a shit ton of rust preventatives into those areas.

Then as in the news thread, I went a got an Audi TT. A pal was selling it, naturally I jumped straight in and bought the thing.

It's a 225bhp 1.8t convertible. Interior looks clean. Usual dash display issue was surprised that a new screen is cheap to buy. Plans will have to wait though. Want it at the lock up first and check over and see if it's worth fixing.

While I'm still waiting on the DVLA regarding the Toyota. 

Thought I'd chap on with the Corsa. That chassis leg looked better than it actually was. 

DSC_0570.thumb.JPG.e84c6d567f275a2c863cf77d5ca8641b.JPG

Did not see the point of repairing this one. As you'll see. Still not the worse I've seen or had. 

DSC_0579.thumb.JPG.1b906e06d86894c59076c42a4199ef61.JPG

Figured that chopping the whole thing off and replacing with fresh would be a hell of a lot easier and tidier. Glad to see the floor was fine. 

DSC_0580.thumb.JPG.0191fa7a22a0f3c7c3833b6f7ded7a5f.JPG

Still some old chassis leg to remove. Welding in the new leg and outrigger should be quicker and easier,

• JMotor changed the title to JMotor's project car thread.
1 hour ago, tom13 said:

Loving the new wheels on the Altezza and the grill. Are you UK or Ireland, seeing both numberplates that's all?

Has your avatar always been sassman, only just noticed it?

Thanks, it makes a quite a difference like. I'm UK based. It just happened to be the Van had an NI plate on it. 

Yeah did change it to Sassy just recently, got a hat like it too with the "Fackin googly eyes" on it 😄. Fair like Jarrad's work so far. But haven't watched Choomah Island 3 yet, but only because of what happened to Big Lez 😢.

12 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Thanks, it makes a quite a difference like. I'm UK based. It just happened to be the Van had an NI plate on it. 

Yeah did change it to Sassy just recently, got a hat like it too with the "Fackin googly eyes" on it 😄. Fair like Jarrad's work so far. But haven't watched Choomah Island 3 yet, but only because of what happened to Big Lez 😢.

Ha fair.

I just watch both series of Nolans Long weekend on repeat now mainly ha.

Need to watch that last 30min episode of sassy the sasquatch as well. Might do that on lunch now. Everyone just needs to be more like sassman.

21 hours ago, tom13 said:

Ha fair.

I just watch both series of Nolans Long weekend on repeat now mainly ha.

Need to watch that last 30min episode of sassy the sasquatch as well. Might do that on lunch now. Everyone just needs to be more like sassman.

Yeah nah nah yeh nah!

I really enjoyed the series about Sassy. 

So the last episode is well worth the watch if you haven't by now. Think I'll be repeating the Nolan series soon too. 

Oh! Remembered I did pick something else up for the Altezza... 

DSC_0588.thumb.JPG.4d5257af8408a3e4246ee39499992585.JPG

At a price I couldn't say no to!

11 hours ago, JMotor said:

Yeah nah nah yeh nah!

I really enjoyed the series about Sassy. 

So the last episode is well worth the watch if you haven't by now. Think I'll be repeating the Nolan series soon too. 

Oh! Remembered I did pick something else up for the Altezza... 

DSC_0588.thumb.JPG.4d5257af8408a3e4246ee39499992585.JPG

At a price I couldn't say no too!

I did finish it on Lunch yesterday was good. Nice ending.

Good find on the BCs. They will be a nice upgrade. My mate has a 1j IS200 in silver with that grill and works but a different style. I will get a picture next week when I see him.

Oh how I missed welding. 

Nahhhh, really haven't. Scratching about the floor is shit. 

Progress was made regardless of my gurning. 

DSC_0593.thumb.JPG.56e7ac14f2a75371629cb0a5facc4dd4.JPG

I near drowned the rail in red oxide and spray undersealer. 

DSC_0591.thumb.JPG.0234e6a48637dbba3ca6eb350b1dc2ab.JPG

The outrigger has since been fitted. Which means that's the biggest job welding wise done. Still a little fettling to make it 100%. Because aftermarket panels. 

Strange though. I'd of binned this off years ago because of the rot. Now. Yeah, I'm glad I tore into it and now fixing it. 

Altezza update! 

I received an envelope today. 

@LightBulbFun I ken your a number plate/DVLA perv.

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.4cd76d072d5841b425b95022e039aded.JPG

See how they've given me a random Norwich (?) area plate. 

So a V55/5, was a piece of piss to fill in. Only took a little longer because I was a dingus and forgot to put in one piece of paperwork. I also wasn't required to have it inspected. 

We're a set of plates and tell the insurance away from being on the road!