E10 petrol compatibility

Vince70

• 6 months later...

Amusement and bemusement in equal measure. 

Toyota

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:

• Avensis 2.0 litre with engine 1AZ-FSE made between July 2000 and October 2008.
  • Avensis 2.4 litre with engine 2AZ-FSE made between June 2003 and October 2008.

These models, and those produced before 1998 should continue to use E5.

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Toyota

So my 1999 Avensis (Mk1) is fine to run on it, but my old 2005 Avensis (Mk2) is not.  This isn't just arbitrary Government information either - this must have been provided to them by the manufacturer.  How else would you explain a newer car being excluded?!

The Avensis has E10 in it now.  I asked explicitly at Morrisons over the weekend and the guy said it was filled a day or so earlier.  Car seems fine, the usual slightly boggy feel it's always had on supermarket fuel but nothing that I will worry about.  If it really is the equivalent of removing half a million cars from the road, then so be it. 

46 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Amusement and bemusement in equal measure. 

Toyota

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:

• Avensis 2.0 litre with engine 1AZ-FSE made between July 2000 and October 2008.
  • Avensis 2.4 litre with engine 2AZ-FSE made between June 2003 and October 2008.

These models, and those produced before 1998 should continue to use E5.

https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/manufacturer/Toyota

So my 1999 Avensis (Mk1) is fine to run on it, but my old 2005 Avensis (Mk2) is not.  This isn't just arbitrary Government information either - this must have been provided to them by the manufacturer.  How else would you explain a newer car being excluded?!

The Avensis has E10 in it now.  I asked explicitly at Morrisons over the weekend and the guy said it was filled a day or so earlier.  Car seems fine, the usual slightly boggy feel it's always had on supermarket fuel but nothing that I will worry about.  If it really is the equivalent of removing half a million cars from the road, then so be it. 

If you ask Toyota directly, they'll shrug their shoulders at anything before 1998 and tell you to refer to the petrol filler cap or the handbook of the car.

3 minutes ago, brownnova said:

It’s all untested… that’s the issue. Manufacturers don’t want to be liable so will err on the side of caution.

That's what I first thought.  So why say "1998 onwards is fine apart from 2001-08".  If they were erring on the side of caution, surely it'd be "post 2008 only yo" ?