Sure this has been asked before, but anyway.

lancashireclamper

Fishface Scorpio 2.9 Ultima with as many extras as the original owner could afford.It says things about the driver. It says "I like to waft around in comfort, but German cars are for criminals. Pass the Worthers, would you?".Or a Mk2 Golf GTI, either a late-spec 16v in Oak Green or an early 8v in Atlas Grey. Dead simple to work on, everyone including your newsagents sells parts and goodies, nicely quick.

Carlton, Senator, Omega [just bought the estate version of the latter, feels better built than Beemers, Mercs etc] rear wheel drive, loads of torque, but still with that nice "pub landlord" feel.A mint Carlton 2 or 2.2 lt will probably cosy you about 9p.[gsi's are a different kettle of poissons] Senator not much more, all are strangely economical on a run.

Can't praise enough my 1987 uno 60s. Been getting my brother to work in the ice and snow without any problems for the last 2 weeks, even though id rather it be off the road avoiding the salt. My brother said it's been offending the audi/bmw idiots because it keeps up with them on the duel carridgeways etc. :P Plus other road users just seam surprised to see it flying past them down the roads! Oh and my brothers neighbours hate it. Result. Got places my cavalier sadly wouldn't. :oops: Great car best start getting the bodywork sorted soon though. Fingers crossed.

most reliable cars I've owned were a merc 190E, saab 9000 and strangely a citroen AX, all never cost me a penny except fuel/servicing Citroen I kept 9 years, the Merc 3 years and counting...bought basically blind off ebay, 9 owners and no history!My other Saabs fords etc were OK - never left me stranded....the main problem with fords was the rust, and saab C900's the gearbox, and they like to rust too in strange places....