jap crap that waved at my jap crap,think its even rareier then mine got net curtains lol

antony denman

Rare here, but I think they were the mainstay of many eastern taxi operators/driving schools for decades. 

More basic version called the Comfort I believe, I have toyed with getting one imported before now... inline engine, rear drive, apparently bomb-proof reliable... mmmm!

Yours is bloody beautiful btw!

Most of these Crown sedans had 2.0 litre petrol 1G-FE straight 6 engines that are well known for being very long lived and almost indestructible. Some of the later models had a mild hybrid system, but my eyesight can't make out if this is one of these. Many were used as official cars, which maybe explains the curtains and many also had lace seat covers. These  Toyota Crowns are very good cars.

Some Comforts were driving school vehicles, but by far and away most of them were taxis in  Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong. I am not aware of any being sold to private customers.

The Crown sedans like the black one shown above were available to private and fleet customers.

I found a driving school model and a mild hybrid sedan currently for sale in the UK. Here is the link https://www.thecarwarehouse.co.uk/showroom/toyota

I'm of partial Middle Eastern heritage so I do have a soft spot for large executive saloons like these. Depending on ethnicity often accessorised with a tissue box, fold out shrine in the glovebox or 1000 word laminated extract from the Quran hanging from the rear view mirror (obscuring the driver's vision).  

They seem charmingly old hat in a modern streetscape dominated by faux by fours and other SUVs.