Communal MK3 Cavalier Thread

Split_Pin

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Layla by Eric Clapton is my earthworm for the rest of the day which is even better.

The correlation of a popular song by Eric Clapton, an earthworm and your ear is one that is difficult to put together 🤔

Layla is a great song, both versions. Very personal to me too given the backstory of the story about Layla and Qais ibn al-Mullawah (aka: Qais al-Majnoon or Qais the 'crazy one'). Also, I used to know a girl called Layla but she didn't make me that crazy ;)

Reviewed the service history.

Literally every receipt has been kept from 2008 through to 2017, kind of tails off after that and nothing from last year. It's the same person's name on the documents who I presume is our @Burnside. Top work chap, this sort of thing is right up my street.

There is also a file full of wiring diagrams and part numbers. This car has been well loved, it must have been tough to part with it.

All recategorised by year with MOTs and Registration documents  kept separate and filed away safely.

The smell of old paper takes me back to when I worked in the Title Deeds dungeon  of a Building Society. Love it!

20210224_160749.jpg

• Split_Pin changed the title to MK3 Cavalier Thread.

Layla  does make me think of nineties Vauxhall’s but Sledgehammer is more Cavalier specific.

Very nice purchase. Is it petrol or diesel? I’ve been having notions for a petrol one recently. The mk3 is the only shape of Cavalier and Vectra my Dad never had. He came really close to buying a Cesaro from Motorvalue at one point though. 

30 minutes ago, Cheezey said:

Layla  does make me think of nineties Vauxhall’s but Sledgehammer is more Cavalier specific.

Very nice purchase. Is it petrol or diesel? I’ve been having notions for a petrol one recently. The mk3 is the only shape of Cavalier and Vectra my Dad never had. He came really close to buying a Cesaro from Motorvalue at one point though. 

It's a 1.8 8v petrol :)

33 minutes ago, Cheezey said:

That advert to promote the safety features  was always a bit weird , IIRC it used Sledgehammer and Layla in  the same ad. At least the Cavalier escaped the cringe making Griff Rhys Jones  era of Vauxhall TV ads- didn’t it ?

Since the Jim Bell aborted Cavalier Roffle I’ve been looking at these and anything remotely sporty or high spec is up there with Sierra pricing , which for a FWD  Vauxhall is unheard of, the lower spec cars won’t be far behind, buy now!

9 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Since the Jim Bell aborted Cavalier Roffle I’ve been looking at these and anything remotely sporty or high spec is up there with Sierra pricing , which for a FWD  Vauxhall is unheard of, the lower spec cars won’t be far behind, buy now!

Keep this in mind please

IMG_20210215_200341.jpg

23 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Excellent. 

Odd bit of trivia for you, Ritchie Edwards from the Manic Street Preachers had an L reg Cavalier LS. He disappeared in it leaving it at Severn Services filled with his stuff.

It was put back into use for a few years afterwards - I wonder if his parents took it on? The weird thing is that I could have sworn that the media reported he owned a Carlton at the time. However, all info on the web states Cavalier. 

Edit, thought so. I remember seeing the article with a Carlton shown. 

b47c8277bda426427d5750c5a056bc5a.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

It was put back into use for a few years afterwards - I wonder if his parents took it on? The weird thing is that I could have sworn that the media reported he owned a Carlton at the time. However, all info on the web states Cavalier. 

Edit, thought so. I remember seeing the article with a Carlton shown. 

b47c8277bda426427d5750c5a056bc5a.jpg

I read the autobiography years ago, can’t remember the exact details but apparently it sat on his parents drive in Blackwood for ages then they got fed up with people taking pictures of it and sold it on. I’ve looked it up before but it was still on the road until the early 2000’s. 

I had a mk3 Cav for a little while about 15 years ago, a 2.0GLi.  Got it free as the PAS was buggering about, so I heaved all the PAS stuff out of it and shoved an unassisted rack in it that I found in a local breakers.  It drove superbly thereafter.  Cavaliers do not need PAS.  It wasn't even heavy at parking speeds, and was lovely to drive down a country lane with direct communicative steering.

This is the only Cavalier I ever owned and my first Vauxhall, an LS automatic that had been used as a private hire cab for most of its life and had something like 165k on the clock.  The heater didn't work and one of the driveshafts was a bit clicky, but it drove well enough and was in surprisingly good condition (it even still had a full set of wheeltrims!!) though there were some weird stains in the rear footwells. 🤔

cav2.thumb.JPG.8b8ef49d970a7b3e0cc806c19083b952.JPG

I acquired it some time in 2009 from @colc after he came to collect the Volvo 740 estate I was giving away, I'm not sure who got the better end of the deal (the Volvo had its issues too) but the Vauxhall was still great for lobbing my mountain bike in the back with the rear seats folded down.  Eventually I cleaned it up, smoked around in it for a while then swapped its CD head unit for a radio-cassette and stuck an ad in the back window:

cavalier.thumb.JPG.7a803e0df8dd1c92635ae280579d5418.JPG

Literally 5 minutes after taking this photo some bloke in a Range Rover flashed me over and asked to buy it for his wife who had never bothered to obtain a manual licence.  We shook on £250 and at that point I quit while I was ahead, well sort of because then brown Sierra.  

I think the Cav lasted another year or two before disappearing, the registration mark is now on a newish Golf.