CrAPE

MattJY

28 minutes ago, MattJY said:

I’ll probably get one from Italy, not bothered about the LHD

I didn't actually realise they weren't central drive like a motorcycle or a McLaren F1 (for hilarious comparison purposes). I love seeing them on Ibiza and other holiday islands, they're such a neat little design, and perfectly suited to tiny narrow streets and people who don't lug tonnes of stuff about to do their daily job. 

They are amazingly slow, especially on hills, but pointing that out is utterly missing the point. 

I'm.thinkingbsome sort of Hayabusa engine ? 

I used to visit an automation supplier* in Leicester on an industrial estate near the M69/M1 junction. 

A woman used to sell sandwiches and coffee and hot pies out of the back of one if them.  It seemed ideal for that (although an electric conversion would be even better suited) 

Almost like it was designed for the task. 

*Bosch Automation. 

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

(I thought for years it was pronounced "ape" like the primate, but it's ah-pey which means ant) 

Correct pronunciation! Ape means Bee though, and Vespa means Wasp. Referencing that sweet 2 stroke drone and their tireless work ethic. 

GIB!! 

Ape's are great.

When we were in Italy (Lake Garda) a few years back the little buggers were everywhere.

I really admire the use of them abroad they're cheap little vehicle's for doing local work,usually battered to hell, they take up no space & just do the job. Cool idea IMO. 

We in UK could learn a lot from that approach.

13 hours ago, MattJY said:

I’ll probably get one from Italy, not bothered about the LHD

Presumably makes all the difference of about 400mm in the driving position.  You could probably position yourself on the road so that even as a LHD vehicle, you're sitting where a RHD "normal" vehicle driver would be.

I am was (have you seen the news lately?) a regular visitor to Italy and I can confirm that there are still hundreds of Ape's buzzing about doing there business; although cheap Chinese pick-ups and Piaggio built Daihatsu's are muscling in on the hive.

9 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

Apes get imported via Hull. 

The haulage firm I work for, used to unbox them and push them from one warehouse to another. (Although we haven't done that in a while) anyway, I was once there and we got an Ape Calessino in. 🤔

"Dearly beloved, would you like to die today?"

Talking of Hull, the home of caravan and vehicle body building, The Big Coffee Company on Gothenburg Way are converting Ape's to electric power, to sell, would you believe, coffee in ULEZ/trendy areas. But they do all sorts of other conversions. Have you seen the Smart cars that sell coffee from the back? Yes, that's them.

https://thebigcoffee.com/vehicles/