Dick's Lambretta adventures - WU history update

Dick Longbridge

My journey with Italian scooters started around 20 years ago.

My uncle, who was a huge scooter fan (and an original 60s mod), found a Spanish Series 3 in mid Wales somewhere. Specifically it was an Eibar Li125 Silver Special – JUX86D. Eibar were Lambretta built under license in Spain basically. Before I knew it, I was piloting a bloody great Merc Sprinter towards the land of plentiful sheep. The SWB Transit I’d booked wasn’t available for some reason, so they let me have the Sprinter for the same price. Overkill for transporting a scooter, but it was a pleasure to drive compared to the equivalent Transit.

I bought the Lambretta and returned to Dorset with it, uncle on board too. It was my first scooter and I'd bagged a Lambretta! What I didn’t realise at the time was that although he was passionate about the marque, he had no idea what he was looking for when checking them over, nor understood mechanics in any shape or form. It transpired that I’d bought an absolute dog. Wrong side panels, wrong front mudguard, filler all over the lower legshields, shonky paintjob, no nylock or spring washers used anywhere on the ‘resto’. The list went on. Most journeys ended in me returning home finding I’d lost more nuts and bolts as they loosened themselves with the vibration through the frame. I remember riding it through the Dorset countryside a few weeks later when the engine locked solid. I managed to pull to a stop without binning it, but it was a stark wake-up that either I had the whole scooter fully rebuilt, or just sold it as it was. The solution was simple and I sold it at a loss with an honest advert. The photo below shows bonus Corrado content which was my daily at the time. Loved that car.

Silver Special JUX86D 2002.jpg

lam side 1.jpg

Feeling cautious that I’d been bitten by a crap example of a Lambretta, I decided to try and be sensible. After checking the local paper, I found a nearly new, but silly cheap Vespa PX 125 V742 MGN. It was early 2002 by this point. The battery was flat and it had been stored badly for six months or so and was filthy. I replaced the battery, serviced it and took it to the Isle of Wight scooter rally that summer.Vespa PX125 V742MGN 2002.jpg

^ My PX 125. 

A few other shots from IOW in 2002. Not sure what happened to the camera...

016_12A.jpg

017_13A.jpg

019_15A.jpg

020_16A.jpg

023_19A.jpg

026_22A.jpg

My PX 125 again below:

front of scoot.jpg

Foolishly, my continued longing for a Lambretta led me to sell it  later that year. In hindsight, the Vespa was the scooter I should have kept in the corner of the garage as a reliable back-up. It always started easily, rode brilliantly and ran on fumes. They’ve aged well too.

To be continued…

• 3 weeks later...

Right, where did I get to? 

May 2003. Newquay scooter rally. I struggle to comprehend the fact this was almost 20 years ago. I didn't take my own scooter as I was still living in Dorset at the time and had some scooter running issues...

My uncle (the one mentioned above) had an LML 125 at the time. It was a great little thing - basically an Indian built Vespa PX125 but without the price tag. We had to replace a fuel pipe which was made of cheese from what I remember. Other than that, it was really reliable and well put-together. 

Here are a few paps of the campsite...

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image5.jpg

^ I'd go on to buy one of these at a later date  (and no, I'm not looking at the Vespa ;) ) 

Image8.jpg

Image12.jpg

Image16.jpg

^ This one provided inspiration for a Lambretta I'd buy in the future. I kept on seeing it at rallies and always liked the look of it. 

smaller duck.jpg

To be continued...

So, during 2003 I continued to search for a Lambretta. I can't remember how I found out about it, but I took a visit to the Scooter Museum in Weston Super Mare run by Nigel Cox. The place had a big name in scootering circles at the time - Nigel had a fantastic collection of Lambrettas ranging from really early right up to end-of-days early 1970s models. Below the museum was his sales workshop, with a mouth-watering selection of Italy's finest. I had been given the heads up about a 1970 DL 125. The DL 125 was known as a 'Grand Prix 125' for the UK market, so this one was Italian market designated and only imported to the UK at a later date. The UK market GP had a Grand Prix flag on the legshields and the DL had an inksplat! Random design idea, which has a story attached to it. Thing is, is it true?

Bit more about it here:  https://lambrettista.net/2011/06/06/the-story-of-the-splat/

Back to Nigel Cox's place. I took one look at the scooter and instantly bought it. It had been restored beautifully in Italy relatively recently, and was still mainly original. It certainly hadn't been anywhere near Vietnam (where 'restored' Lambrettas built out of various bikes and rebuilt with questionable quality parts were advertised to naive UK buyers)...  I still liked the idea of the chrome detailing of the slightly earlier Lambrettas, but this thing was nigh-on mint, started first kick each time and was too good to miss out on. The deal was done.

The only area of paintwork which let the scooter down was the wheels. I had some Lechler mixed up in body colour and I colour coded the rims to the rest of the Lambretta. I was pretty pleased with the outcome - less is more. 

I will need to dig through some of my hard copy photo albums for the next bit - I took the scooter to the Isle of Wight Scooter rally in 2004. I had been having some issues with the bulbs blowing and had tried a number of things to try and sort the problem. Shortly before leaving Dorset for IOW, I thought I'd solved the problem and rode on with my mates and their scooters. Foolishly, I only took a couple of spare bulbs. Big mistake. It was only later that evening when I needed lights that things started to go wrong. First my headlamp blew, then my speedo lamp, and then my rear lamp. Despite replacing them at the roadside, it was a recurring problem. I've got a lasting memory of being closely sandwiched by mates scooters near Leamington as I couldn't see anything, and no-one could see me! It would have been lethal had I been on my own, but I felt reasonably reassured with the convoy front and back. 

The rest of my time on IOW was great fun and the Lambretta behaved impeccably, right up until the morning where we were due to leave. 

Fuel tap on. Choke on. One kick, nothing, Second kick, nothing. Third kick, nothing. You get the idea. Bear in mind this Lambretta had ALWAYS been mechanically brilliant and ultra reliable. Pull the plug, check and clean. Repeat several times whilst becoming increasingly enraged and cursing aged Italian machinery. Ask mates to push you across the car park several times to bump start the bastard. After several attempts, the old tart eventually fired, running rough as rats, but running. I proceeded to 'Italian tune' the engine for the first few miles of the journey which seemed to blow most of the cobwebs out of the exhaust and there were no further running issues on the return journey. We did fuel up shortly after I got it running, so I did wonder if the fuel was a dodgy batch or something. 

I met my fiancee later in the year and at the time I kept the Lambretta in my living room. To this day, when I mention it to her, her response is, 'Nothing surprises me with you'. 

In hindsight, I should have taken that as a green light for many projects in the meantime - what a missed opportunity! 

To be continued. I'll have a dig through the photos in the meantime and see if I can find any of the DL125 at IOW in 2004. 

In the meantime, here are a few shots of BHY 314H taken elsewhere. Damn, I'd forgotten how clean this thing was. Shouldn't have sold it in 2005...

gp advert pic.jpg

gp april 05.jpg

gp lambretta1.jpg

gp lambretta2.jpg

^ Bonus background content of my brother's XE'd Nova, Mother Longbridge's 306 and my first Cavalier GSi. 

Image(248).jpg

always liked them to look at , owned a douglas vespa and just counldnt get on with it, saddle was like concrete, and missed the ride of larger wheels ..

paid £50 for it (in boxes) rode it about for a bit and sold it for £350 IIRC

IMG_20180611_160133502.thumb.jpg.979186713ae45dc70650d122dc368903.jpg

Mine. An Spanish GP200 with a rapido kit that I built for me and my dad (he always wanted one when younger). Loved the noise and the looks but (coming from bikes) couldn't get on with the handling. It sold to a bloke who put it in his front room to look at and bought a ZXR750 H2. Still have the kawasaki but do sometimes miss the Lambrettta. Why did you sell that DL? Madman 😆

55 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

always liked them to look at , owned a douglas vespa and just counldnt get on with it, saddle was like concrete, and missed the ride of larger wheels ..

paid £50 for it (in boxes) rode it about for a bit and sold it for £350 IIRC

I think my interest in them is because I like the smell of two stroke and the feeling of achievement when sometimes you reach your destination without having had to stop by the roadside multiple times for ongoing repairs! Part of the charm*

53 minutes ago, Matty said:

IMG_20180611_160133502.thumb.jpg.979186713ae45dc70650d122dc368903.jpg

Mine. An Spanish GP200 with a rapido kit that I built for me and my dad (he always wanted one when younger). Loved the noise and the looks but (coming from bikes) couldn't get on with the handling. It sold to a bloke who put it in his front room to look at and bought a ZXR750 H2. Still have the kawasaki but do sometimes miss the Lambrettta. Why did you sell that DL? Madman 😆

That looks like a Jet 200, not GP? The Spanish (Eibar) Lammys have picked up in value and some reckon they're better built than their Italian counterparts.... I owned a Jet 200 but it had a 125 lump fitted unfortunately. 

And yes, I shouldn't have sold the DL125 to be honest. Or the Cav GSi...

Loving this thread, I can practically smell the 2 stroke. 

I've always loved the look of Lambrettas, but never ridden one. Love the way they sound, somehow a bit poppier in a good way compared to Vespas. Now that I'm 3 Vespas deep, I feel too invested in tools and knowledge to make the switch to  Lambretta somehow... 

8 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Loving this thread, I can practically smell the 2 stroke. 

I've always loved the look of Lambrettas, but never ridden one. Love the way they sound, somehow a bit poppier in a good way compared to Vespas. Now that I'm 3 Vespas deep, I feel too invested in tools and knowledge to make the switch to  Lambretta somehow... 

Good man. Know what you mean about the Lambretta sound. I've got a video to upload here as part of another update at some point. I love the fact that they're a bit more unpredictable and the wild card really. I've got a load of time for Vespas too though. 

• Dick Longbridge changed the title to Dick's Lambretta and Vespa adventures
22 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I think my interest in them is because I like the smell of two stroke and the feeling of achievement when sometimes you reach your destination without having had to stop by the roadside multiple times for ongoing repairs! Part of the charm*

That looks like a Jet 200, not GP? The Spanish (Eibar) Lammys have picked up in value and some reckon they're better built than their Italian counterparts.... I owned a Jet 200 but it had a 125 lump fitted unfortunately. 

And yes, I shouldn't have sold the DL125 to be honest. Or the Cav GSi...

Yeah jet 200. Shows how knowledgeable I am that I cant even remember its name right 🤣

Here's my Vespa, this has been in the family since the early sixties. Not concours at all; still proudly wearing dents and about 90% original. The only non-original panel is the right hand engine cover which came from my Grand-dad's long-dead 1962 Sportique (YVM654). It's been in about a dozen different colour schemes down the years, but this red is copied from the only bit of original paint left on it (the filler cap), so it has come full circle!

DSC01352.thumb.JPG.969f623ac1e4db3519cfc96ac9efb493.JPG

10 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

@face is that a 50cc?

It was mate, when I got it last June. Far too slow around the hilly lanes where I live - 15mph uphill. It was a battle just to ride it with any degree of normality.

So I had fitted a DR 102cc cylinder kit, 90cc gearing, race exhaust, 12V electrics, bigger crank and a 16mm Dellorto carb.

It is about 100 miles into a 250 mile running in period. Carb set to run rich at 30:1 rather than the usual 50:1, so it smokes like hell on tick over.

It goes so much better now!

• 4 weeks later...

Seems a good place to ask:

This little heap is winking at me as a possible cheap way into a Lambretta. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-LD-150/224398868424

It doesn't have any panels with it but I see that they are pretty much all available new. 

If this went for a grand or so and the panels cost something like another grand, is the finished scoot still worth 2?

I see these early ones are 3 speed with top speed of 50 or so, does all the go faster stuff apply the same as a new one? Do later ones have more gears? Are engine cases interchangeable?

Obviously it's tax and MOT exempt M8 so I would quite enjoy riding it round with the absolute minimum of panels and lights on while I slowly bought/sourced the panels.

I'm guessing these earlier ones are not as desirable generally as a 60s/70s one?

30 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Seems a good place to ask:

This little heap is winking at me as a possible cheap way into a Lambretta. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambretta-LD-150/224398868424

It doesn't have any panels with it but I see that they are pretty much all available new. 

If this went for a grand or so and the panels cost something like another grand, is the finished scoot still worth 2?

I see these early ones are 3 speed with top speed of 50 or so, does all the go faster stuff apply the same as a new one? Do later ones have more gears? Are engine cases interchangeable?

Obviously it's tax and MOT exempt M8 so I would quite enjoy riding it round with the absolute minimum of panels and lights on while I slowly bought/sourced the panels.

I'm guessing these earlier ones are not as desirable generally as a 60s/70s one?

I spotted that one, too. The general consensus with LDs is that they are SLOW. The interest in them and the smallframe Lambrettas (Cento, Starstream etc) is much less than the series 1,2 and 3 and this is reflected in lower values. I'm not sure if there are aftermarket tuning parts for them, but it would seem a bit of a fruitless exercise I'd have thought. 

If you want a Lambretta and you want to make it faster and do some recommissioning, buy a series 3 Li import. They're still pretty good value and still have a decent following if you wanted to sell it on again. 

Cheers for the advice Dick. There have been some LDs sold on eBay recently for OK coin but I also found that that one sold once before for 800.

I think unless you specifically want that model it's probably worth a swerve.

TBH I am not that bothered on Lammy or Vespa I just fancy some old manual 2 stroke shite to go with my modern Vespa GTS.

I'm sure something will turn up eventually.

• 6 months later...

Hmm. I appear to have been pretty slack in updating the intervening years after I sold my turquoise DL125 in 2005. There were many more along the way!

However, to bring things bang up to date, I bought this 1961 Li125 Series 2 18 months ago. It lived in Italy for almost sixty years until I bought it. Laid up since 1971. Still a runner and fairly sweet sounding, all said. Gorgeous old thing wearing its original paint still, along with dealer sticker on the horncast. I even managed to grab copies of the original Italian logbook and number plate. 

However, we have a young lad, storage is a  bit of a 'mare and I can't see I'll have the time or inclination to get around to getting the old girl roadworthy in the next few years. Yes, better than money in the bank and I don't think I'll find another original one again for sensible money. However, decisions are decisions and I've just sold it. The new owner is well into his seventies, and has never owned anything with two wheels and an engine. He is however, mechanically minded, bloody-minded and plans a mechanical overhaul, wax over the paint (I'm really happy the paint isn't being messed with) and intends to ride it along the Amlfi Coast next year. 

The original Italian owner was a chap called Simone and the new owner is called Simon too. It couldn't have gone to a better custodian. 

20211010_175949.jpg

20211010_175112.jpg

20211010_181040.jpg

20211010_180007.jpg

I never got on with lambretta. I preferred the vespa in looks . A long time ago my first was a vespa 150 super when I was around 17. No licence or insurance , i was a bit of a knob. Then I bought a second one to do up in my mums shed. I messed around with them for a while till the inevitable stop by the police one night. Both got sold on for buttons, I got fined and nine points on my licence. Well three endorsements in them days. Then met a girl , got married , kids and it all went away. Fast forward 40 years and still read scooter magazine . Walking round in my suede boots , levis and gabicci t shirts. But sadly no scooter . I did look a year or so ago at them . Due to age related joint problems I think an automatic is the way forward. Dont think I could manage the clutch and gears of an older classic model. Although I may give it a go. I think this year may be my chance to do my motorbike licence to give me more choice , if I purchase one. The other stumbling blocks are somewhere safe to store one, it would be stolen off my drive round here. Also the fact that I am a single dad with an 11 and 12 Yr old. So going for a ride out on a weekend isn't happening anytime soon. A good few of my mates from way back when run the A57 scooter club not far from me. I may get in touch and go and hang around and see what advice they have. 

2 hours ago, taxi paul said:

I never got on with lambretta. I preferred the vespa in looks . A long time ago my first was a vespa 150 super when I was around 17. No licence or insurance , i was a bit of a knob. Then I bought a second one to do up in my mums shed. I messed around with them for a while till the inevitable stop by the police one night. Both got sold on for buttons, I got fined and nine points on my licence. Well three endorsements in them days. Then met a girl , got married , kids and it all went away. Fast forward 40 years and still read scooter magazine . Walking round in my suede boots , levis and gabicci t shirts. But sadly no scooter . I did look a year or so ago at them . Due to age related joint problems I think an automatic is the way forward. Dont think I could manage the clutch and gears of an older classic model. Although I may give it a go. I think this year may be my chance to do my motorbike licence to give me more choice , if I purchase one. The other stumbling blocks are somewhere safe to store one, it would be stolen off my drive round here. Also the fact that I am a single dad with an 11 and 12 Yr old. So going for a ride out on a weekend isn't happening anytime soon. A good few of my mates from way back when run the A57 scooter club not far from me. I may get in touch and go and hang around and see what advice they have. 

If you wanted a modern twist and go, Vespa GTS are pretty well put together. The 300 is fairly grunty too, if you like that sort of thing. 

If I was going to buy a modern interpretation of a Lambretta, I'd buy a Royal Alloy. They look ok for a modern twist and go, although for me the fun of owning a Lambretta was the fact it was a vintage machine with a plenty of character. 

I still have an ambition to own an older Lambretta and have one in mind that has been in storage for many years. I don't know anything about it so we will see what happens.

In the meantime I still have the 2003 Aprilia Habana 125 I bought from @strangeangel sitting in my garage and need to get my theory and CBT done so I can ride it next year.

P1550364 broad.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Small update. Been  mooching at the Royal alloy scooters. Although I prefer the lambretta v125. Felt a bit nicer to sit on. I think reliability wise it is better, based on a sym 3 I think. Grips are better and fatter, for my knackered fingers. Also same price has a royal alloy. Possibly worth more at the end of finance period. It works out around £62.00 a month over five years. I know it's not as retro as the alloy. But felt a bit more solid. No rush because I wouldn't use it till around march , not riding in the rain or cold that's for mentalist people. Think I will book my CBT and get it out of the way and see how I feel come February. Only two weeks wait for the lambretta.  Plus motorbike show on in December at NEC. May try and go for a day and have a proper good look. 

12 minutes ago, taxi paul said:

Small update. Been  mooching at the Royal alloy scooters. Although I prefer the lambretta v125. Felt a bit nicer to sit on. I think reliability wise it is better, based on a sym 3 I think. Grips are better and fatter, for my knackered fingers. Also same price has a royal alloy. Possibly worth more at the end of finance period. It works out around £62.00 a month over five years. I know it's not as retro as the alloy. But felt a bit more solid. No rush because I wouldn't use it till around march , not riding in the rain or cold that's for mentalist people. Think I will book my CBT and get it out of the way and see how I feel come February. Only two weeks wait for the lambretta.  Plus motorbike show on in December at NEC. May try and go for a day and have a proper good look. 

Sounds wise r.e. CBT and see how you feel. Personally, I prefer the look of the Royal Alloy but ultimately they're all modern plastic things. 

I do think the RA styled similarly to a series 2 Lambretta is quite cleverly done. 

2021 Royal Alloy

2021-Royal-Alloy-TG250-Malaysia-Review-8-630x420.jpg

My old 1961 Series 2 Lambretta. 

20211010_175949.jpg

I have joined a royal alloy facebook group. There is a quite a few moans around stupid niggles and warning lights on new scooters. One thing I learned is the euro 5 has better paintwork and seems to have a few of the niggles ironed out. Bit dearer but maybe better. The other thing is the lambretta is around £800 dearer than the sym it is the same has. Lot of money to pay for a badge though. I have plenty of time so will go to a different dealer and have another proper look at the royal alloy. They do seem to have a good following though. Also better colour combos. 

• 4 months later...

Well that didn't last long. 

I appear to have purchased a replacement. This one is also a Series 2 Lambretta, like my import I sold last year. That's where the similarities end though. In fact, the two scooters couldn't be any more different. This one has been repainted some time ago (the finish is a bit average, but presentable) and lathered with chrome tat. It still wears it's original Yorkshire plate (thanks @LightBulbFunfor the info) and even has it's original buff log book. 

Some of the parts fitted during the resto look to be of meh quality so I'm aiming to make some tweaks, including selling the majority of the chrome bits. The virtually brand new whitewall tyres will be replaced with something less shite too. What drew me to it was the fact it's clean and tidy, on the road and running sweetly, and has a little bit of provenance with it. It looks a really decent starting point for a small, rideable project. 

I'm waiting on a trusted courier recommended by another shiter to get back to me with delivery dates as this thing is literally the other end of the country. However, deposit has been paid, decent conversations with the seller have taken place and the Lambretta should be winging its way to Cornwall very soon. 

Can't wait! 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Various bits to update on here but for a minute, I bought this. I liked the idea of mounting it on the legshields of my series 2 (more to follow on this) but am now thinking it'll be a massive ballache to try and sort a neat and solid solution to mount it. It's a lovely looking thing though. 

It's a NOS Notek blue dot 130 series spotlamp, still in its original box. 

@LightBulbFun Any ideas on bulb dating? I can't see any obvious codes to give any clues...

20220702_190153.jpg

20220702_185824.jpg

20220702_185622.jpg

20220702_185535.jpg