Buyers regret on something I've not even taken delivery of...

Petrolize

Bear in mind the guage on these doesn't report temperature accurately, they basically sit pegged at 90 if the temperature is anywhere between 75 and 110 IIRC, so as not to alarm modern drivers.... If it's climbing above 90 on the guage then it's actually a fair amount over. OBD2 is the only real way to know the true temperature.

Heater matrix failure us pretty common on these, also PD head-lift is an issue, although I'd imagine this is an earlier VE variant on an X reg? Still worth considering.

RE the waterpump, you can usually check if they're operating as they should by removing the expansion tank cap (On a cold engine) and having someone rev the car whilst you look at the small hose going into the top of the reservoir- If all's well you should see a steady stream of coolant flowing back into the reservoir- If not, then likely the plastic waterpump impeller has seperated from the shaft as others have mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, tom13 said:

I love this thing. I'm still saying well bought and a good appreciating asset.

Thank you, yeah I'd have been annoyed at myself if I hadn't taken the plunge even though near £1k on an MOT'less Golf felt a lot at the time 

• 10 months later...

Interestingly this is now for sale on Facebook marketplace for£1195 just up the road from me in Chester Le Street.

If it wasn't for the expensive tax/marmite colour/mysterious cooling woes described up thread I'd almost be tempted to go for a look... Almost.

@Petrolize- I'm assuming you sold this outside of the site?

3 hours ago, Shirley Knott said:

Interestingly this is now for sale on Facebook marketplace for£1195 just up the road from me in Chester Le Street.

If it wasn't for the expensive tax/marmite colour/mysterious cooling woes described up thread I'd almost be tempted to go for a look... Almost.

@Petrolize- I'm assuming you sold this outside of the site?

Yes, there was a for sale thread but it ended up selling on gumtree 

45 minutes ago, Petrolize said:

Yes, there was a for sale thread but it ended up selling on gumtree 

Strange that it's worked it's way up to Northern england so quickly...

The bloke selling it seems to be a small time trader with 2 or 3 other cars for sale too, he also runs a recovery business by the look (As is often the case with such types)

I'm actually on the look out for another Mk4, it cropped up in one of my searches but as mentioned the colour/tax/PD115 head-lift fear put me off.