Buyers regret on something I've not even taken delivery of...

Petrolize

I like it.

I'm pretty sure you'll feel better about it once you actually have it.

£900 for an MOT-less Golf may well seem like a bit much to you, but truth be told, that's in 'bargain m8' territory for up here. There's way worse than that readily selling around £1400 simply due to supply v demand and all the restrictions in place up here.

These PD Golfs do still hold value and still have their following. Around 1k for a rarer edition really isn't far off the mark.

45 minutes ago, warch said:

Having owned a Mk V, I reckon a Mk IV is a much safer bet, at least the ABS fault should be a wiring issue and not sensor rings crumbled to dust like mine had. I quite like the interior, the standard black on black with black accents and black trim was a bit depressing.

As a 90s design it does have retro appeal too, especially as they are less common now, the last ones are nearly 17years old. I don’t suppose the wings are too bad, they never rusted as badly as the MkV. 

Retro appeal!? Shite, I can still, clear as day remember fatha J-T buying a brand spanker PD150 in Jan 2001, must have been one of the first in the country and being amazed that a 1.9 dizzle could perform like that after years of wheezy XUDTs etc.

HOLY LIVING FUCK, I’ve just realised that was 20 years ago . Excuse me, I need a sit down 

I had a 115pd estate a few years ago and it was a great motorway car. Despite being the lower-powered engine it still has a good whack of torque. 

I had buyer's remorse a couple of weeks after buying it when I found that it needed quite a bit of work. But after that it gave 20,000 trouble-free miles before I got bored. It was a nice car which completely lived up to all the golf IV stereotypes.

43 minutes ago, J-T said:

Retro appeal!? Shite, I can still, clear as day remember fatha J-T buying a brand spanker PD150 in Jan 2001, must have been one of the first in the country and being amazed that a 1.9 dizzle could perform like that after years of wheezy XUDTs etc.

HOLY LIVING FUCK, I’ve just realised that was 20 years ago . Excuse me, I need a sit down 

I know the XUD kinda brought Diesel as a viable option for many, but it was those PD TDis and the HDis which really brought it to mainstream.  Those TDIs were a mainstay of Irish roads for about a decade. Everyone had one practically.

Any vehicle with a pd engine in it gets good money in the north east corner of scotland where I am. I'm missing having my pd130 bora on the road just now, it's very similar to that golf and absolutely brilliant. I could have sold it two days after getting it home for twice what I paid for it. However it was bought to use and is only off the road just now as it's been too cold for me to change the discs and pads.I would think that CC one in yellow and a new test would get well over a grand up here.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I’ve got to admit I love the colour and looking at prices the 1.9 diesels really do hold money and have seen some north of 2 grand with high mileage and yours is barely run in at just over 100.000

I’ve never seen one  with rot on all the arches though but that might be I’m down south so we don’t see much road salt as the example I’ve got hasn’t been washed in 7 years and looks still rot free and imagine  getting 4 corners painted isn’t going to be cheap if you want it Pristine.

I’ve got to throw some money at mine as it needs new tyres and the wheels refurbished plus I’ve got to sort out the abs fault and give it a good service and about 3 oil changes plus a ticket but it’s a freebie so it’s worth throwing money at plus it’s got a bit of sentimental value.

C82142C6-9004-4E07-AD69-CB75CFED1CA7.jpeg

Irrespective of it being a deeply unfashionable sentiment around these parts, I still have massive respect for our Mk4 SDi.

It's honestly the only car I've ever owned that I'd trust to jump in and drive anywhere- I'd drive it to the other side of Europe this morning on a whim if I had to, and for a 17 year old car that's saying something...  It's not as sexy as the PD (Or even the VE) as there's no turbo, but it uses the same 1.9 base engine and it's a beauty. 

Here's mine getting a deep clean some years back shortly after I'd bought it...

SAM_5606

Honestly- Knowledge on how to repair them is abundant, YouTube is your friend there. Also, parts are usually next to nothing. I replaced the seats in the pic above with a GTi set that cost £30 from a local breaker, added cup holders for £5, replaced my rusty front wings with a pair from another breaker for  less than £20 each.

Did you pay over the odds? Perhaps, but only by a few hundred quid- And any issues you have should be cheap and easy to put right.

Buyer's remorse is often just the withdrawal from the high of buyer's excitement. Unless you've bought an absolute gem that keeps you on a high I think you will always have a bit when you are more aware of the cash you've spent and all the slight defects.

I'd think that buying a car without MOT is a risk unless you have reason to trust the buyer, but after all you should have a decent and very colourful car. The yellow inside is refreshing, not to everyone's taste. The yellow on the outside should keep you safe in poor visibility.

At least it will retain its value. 

Maybe a bit of risk but in all likelihood you'll come out ok, of you end up down a few quid then you've not lot a too much and you can make it back on your next shite purchase.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your retro Golf special!

Thank you everyone, reading through the comments has re-assured me a fair bit. Being from the north of Scotland these engines are always what people want (myself included), most are on 200,000 miles by now and in general they're just very well regarded. For some reason I thought a good MK4 TDI with fairly low miles for one of these would always be around the 1500 mark, but a quick look on ebay sold listings had prices all over the place. Some really nice looking ones for half that, hence the momentary doubt. I've still likely overpayed, but maybe an MOT would be too problematic, it has been stored inside after all, and can get some enjoyment from it over the next 6 months or so. Rough plan is fix the obvious for an MOT, take for MOT, look into the bodywork if funds allow, enjoy over the summer (it looks like a bright and summer-like car) and decide whether to keep or not at that point. 

26 minutes ago, Petrolize said:

Thank you everyone, reading through the comments has re-assured me a fair bit. Being from the north of Scotland these engines are always what people want (myself included), most are on 200,000 miles by now and in general they're just very well regarded. For some reason I thought a good MK4 TDI with fairly low miles for one of these would always be around the 1500 mark, but a quick look on ebay sold listings had prices all over the place. Some really nice looking ones for half that, hence the momentary doubt. I've still likely overpayed, but maybe an MOT would be too problematic, it has been stored inside after all, and can get some enjoyment from it over the next 6 months or so. Rough plan is fix the obvious for an MOT, take for MOT, look into the bodywork if funds allow, enjoy over the summer (it looks like a bright and summer-like car) and decide whether to keep or not at that point. 

Good plan.

You'll be fine, in all likelihood.

Where in North Scotland are you? I'm in Macduff and any golf, bora or fabia 1.9pd in reasonable nick will do well in this part of the world

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

After having my eye out for one of these rare models for a while, it would seem two have come along at the same time, you couldn't make it up....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/453086882706752/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Looks better condition, no MOT either but only just expired and one of the cleanest histories i've seen, especially for the miles. Interior looks easier to live with too and 130 vs 115 bhp. If anyone wants the one I've deposited let me know, or if anyone buys the above one I'll buy it off them when I can. 

It'll be fine, and could have been a lot fucking worse.

Imagine buying a Citroen CX completely blind - only to realise that the photos were very flattering and the bloke had been trying to sell it for years.  For a moment, think about what this must have been like!

image.thumb.png.389c90d8f99ab1d100a832338e7a748c.png

Classic (old, retro) cars for sale £0-5k vol 2 - Page 152 - General Gassing - PistonHeads UK

You've got a nice working car.  Be thankful!

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

It'll be fine, and could have been a lot fucking worse.

Imagine buying a Citroen CX completely blind - only to realise that the photos were very flattering and the bloke had been trying to sell it for years.  For a moment, think about what this must have been like!

image.thumb.png.389c90d8f99ab1d100a832338e7a748c.png

Classic (old, retro) cars for sale £0-5k vol 2 - Page 152 - General Gassing - PistonHeads UK

You've got a nice working car.  Be thankful!

wow how long is it,looks massive 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it’s arrived, it’s pretty hard not to see it. Already whoever sees it compliments how it looks. Sadly it needs more then I thought so im still in two minds about it. First things to charge the battery and see if it holds as it’s dead as a dodo. Clutch pedals quite stuff, rest of it’s mostly as described. Already had sourced a wing mirror so that’s fitted even if it’s not fitted 100% it looks more respectable now.
Have a few photos, inside is pretty nice and I didn’t realise it would be a 6 speed ‘box. Does anyone know if I can get the part to make the gearstick look better again? Last picture shows an invoice where it was clearly causing grief for one of its first owners fairly early on 😂

228DFAF7-52EC-4DDB-85B6-94A9507CD829.jpeg

4AD89C2C-F004-437E-A427-5B616FA1E69F.jpeg

17317344-F60A-4AE5-A95C-EEB930E6E9D2.jpeg

image.jpg

I like it. These will go up in value for sure. 

I’ve been half looking out for a 3dr PD130/150 in either black, BRG or navy blue for a while now. I had a grey 5dr given to me for free by my sister in laws sister a few years back and it was great. Was a PD100, fantastic engine. I had a Vectra C CDTI 150 at the time and remember the golf having virtually no turbo lag compared to the Vectra.