The new purchase a Rover obviously....

Motown

I love Rover 800's, but the Rover 800's that are the Mk1 shape but with the "interim" skinny font for the badge lettering I don't like. I don't know what it is, but since I knew about them as a kid I'd see those and thought they were a bit crap looking. All on the basis of the boot badge lettering. But on the Mk2 I think it looks great.

6 hours ago, sierraman said:

Aren’t they Serck plates as well for added shite?

Yes! (I'll sneak this reply in as I am conscious about stealing another person's thread!)

They're not just any old Sercks though, they have a raised font effect and ghosted background lines. They are very special (if you like number plates!)

F215 DVR (7).JPG

4 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

I love Rover 800's, but the Rover 800's that are the Mk1 shape but with the "interim" skinny font for the badge lettering I don't like. I don't know what it is, but since I knew about them as a kid I'd see those and thought they were a bit crap looking. All on the basis of the boot badge lettering. But on the Mk2 I think it looks great.

I am of a similar opinion. I think it is that the Mk1 and Mk2 are like chalk and cheese. The Mk1 being oh-so-80s, the blocky lettering suits it better, whereas the later font is more in keeping with the retro-styled Mk2.

5 minutes ago, Austin-Rover said:

Yes! (I'll sneak this reply in as I am conscious about stealing another person's thread!)

They're not just any old Sercks though, they have a raised font effect and ghosted background lines. They are very special (if you like number plates!)

F215 DVR (7).JPG

No no by all means post away we are all friends here! To see another Mk1 800 always makes me stiff as a board anyway! 

1 hour ago, Austin-Rover said:

F215 DVR (7).JPG

Are they original or repro? Fancy a pair of them...

On 2/19/2021 at 11:36 PM, Cooper1 said:

Funking love the Rover 800s particularly in Fastback flavour.. 

The styling is on point and the interior is superb.. 

And nowt better to drive, my Dad always said his 800 out drove his old XJ and BMW 5 series.. 

I'd love one.. 

Yours looks a minter 

Ive upset many BMW owners in my 827. I cannot give the 800s enough credit your father was right they are amazing cars!

Car arrived today and everything seems above board although it clearly needs a new fuel pump and service. Can we take a moment to remember Mr Clifford Henry Austin formerly of Cowley Works (Since 1946) who's car this was.

He retired in 1990 and died in 2019 at the age of 90 i will restore this car in his honour and ensure it is loved and cherished. Especially as the history covers everything from the day it left the factory to the weeks before he died.

26 minutes ago, RoadworkUK said:

Entirely superb. As part of the Freedom Celebrations this year, I might well have to jump in mine and head north to check out the fleet. 

Perhaps @Lord Sterling could join us.

@Lord Sterling is a good chap am hoping to meet up with him at some point anyway so i would definitely be up for meeting with some other shiters when the world rights itself...

33 minutes ago, Motown said:

Clifford Henry Austin by any chance retired from Cowley in 1990/91

Seems unlikely then, I’m afraid. This bloke definitely worked at “ The Austin” pronounced  Orstin by locals , as he would have lived in Harborne about 5 miles from Longbridge . In fact I recall him saying something along the lines of him cycling to work when he first started and never thought he’d be driving through the gates in a Rover. 
Of course when he started a Rover would have meant something a bit more than it did by 1990 !

Ill still check with my Dad, if the name rings a bell, he could have worked in Oxford towards the end I suppose. 

On 2/21/2021 at 6:13 PM, Motown said:

Ive upset many BMW owners in my 827. I cannot give the 800s enough credit your father was right they are amazing cars!

I was once driving an 827 Si fastback manual in about 91/92. It was one of the Mark 1 runout specials fitted with 16” 5 spokes and a Vitesse rear spoiler , but doom blue with the same interior spec as yours. 
Anyway I was going from the A1 onto the M1 when a white Astra GTE cut in front of me at the last second, I slammed my hand on the horn and a wanker sign was waved through the sunroof. Now, as a young idiot full of piss and vinegar , this was like a  red rag to a bull. Right on the bumper of the Astra cursing and wanting to fight the driver. He bottled it and there was a puff of smoke as he changed down, I did like wise. By the time we were passing Scratchwood the Astra was out of puff at 120 odd, still the twat wouldn’t pull out of Lane 3. I almost nudged him, luckily the voice of ( relative ) reason in the passenger seat ( Mrs N) convinced me not to, and I went past on the inside. As we glared at the Astra driver , we realised it was Ross Kemp, crapping himself.

With 23 years of ownership under my belt, and with my objective hat on, I feel I must argue that 800s are not amazing. They are, in many ways, severely compromised in comparison with the direct competition.

What they are, though, is wonderful. They have a way of getting under your skin. And I love how my '97 825 – probably because it was kept in production for about five years too long – feels like a vintage product. My A4, which is only a year newer, doesn't feel distantly removed from today's cars. The Rover, with its low scuttle, big windows and 80s throwback interior, is a delicious contrast from the present.

I love them.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:47 AM, RoadworkUK said:

With 23 years of ownership under my belt, and with my objective hat on, I feel I must argue that 800s are not amazing. They are, in many ways, severely compromised in comparison with the direct competition.

What they are, though, is wonderful. They have a way of getting under your skin. And I love how my '97 825 – probably because it was kept in production for about five years too long – feels like a vintage product. My A4, which is only a year newer, doesn't feel distantly removed from today's cars. The Rover, with its low scuttle, big windows and 80s throwback interior, is a delicious contrast from the present.

I love them.

I have to agree with you. This is what I've been considering when looking at 800's to buy and the later ones still had that 80s retro appeal that no other car had at the time, yet, it still looks (and presumably feels) like a quality item!

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

Just caught up.

Top work Mr Motown, and Rich, that Coop is LUSH

Cheers! Just the Stirling and SD1 to finish now then il be looking for something else to save am thinking an 80s Vauxhall like a Manta or a Senator.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:08 AM, Motown said:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0646680b3fa17bc79c3059c82d31b3b7.jpg

917250297_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.ea842d683877f7850104e6c96e8eea59.jpg

Bit late to the party on this one but that is properly lovely. No stupid grille, cloth interior, that lovely pre-airbag steering wheel and the best looking frisbee wheel covers ever fitted to any car ever. Topped off with a non-metallic paint. Just smashing.

I reckon that the 1990 Rover 820Si is the best car that came out of the whole BLARG shitstorm. There was just something about that car with that engine in that spec was just so very right.

Quite jealous really.