The new purchase a Rover obviously....

Motown

mmmm pre-facelifty goodness.  It looks vast in that red and it has something even rarer than the headlight protectors which appears to be (from the photos at any rate) a complete lack of lacquer peel.  Even the interior wood looks like it hasn't had the varnish go all yellowed and cloudy.  What a treat.

Interesting back story.

In 1990 , the company I worked for always had a few long term Fleet Demos from Manufacturers . I would snaffle whatever was the best , to abuse the absolute crap out of.

It was my my Grandmother’s 80th birthday and there was a big party at her house in Wales, I grabbed an 820 SE Fastback big bumper facelift , almost identical to your lovely new ride, just less power and 14” wheels with these trims

DAB5728E-4537-4AAA-B29C-6521AFFF91B8.thumb.jpeg.4eead2ab9d616ca536de3e731a33e4f6.jpeg

Anyway everyone parked in a field around the corner and I parked nose to nose with a bright red 820Si Fastback , with a reg about 5 away from mine .

During the day I met the driver , who was an old neighbour of my Grandma from when she lived in Birmingham, can’t remember his name , but I do remember he worked at Longbridge and it was his first 800. He usually chose a Maestro and changed every 6 months, but this was going to be his last car before retirement and he hoped he’d be offered it as part of his leaving package...

Granny died years ago and my Dad can’t remember this guys name, it’d be great if it was this one. At least you know I didn’t abuse it, we had an  820 and later a lovely green Vitesse 2.7 with practically Sterling spec. Which I managed to hold onto for 3 months and would often see 150 on the clock. When it went back the collection driver thought the sheepskin mats didn’t belong in the car and left them with reception, those mats went in every brown or beige interiored car I had for years.

16 hours ago, Mr Laurence said:

After the Castle Gresley one restoring this should be a walk in the park: it already looks lovely!

How many 800s do you own now?

Aye a piece of piss i think is the correct term or expression 😆

I currently own four and two that the wife doesn't knows about with another coming this week and one more coming in April 

7 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Interesting back story.

In 1990 , the company I worked for always had a few long term Fleet Demos from Manufacturers . I would snaffle whatever was the best , to abuse the absolute crap out of.

It was my my Grandmother’s 80th birthday and there was a big party at her house in Wales, I grabbed an 820 SE Fastback big bumper facelift , almost identical to your lovely new ride, just less power and 14” wheels with these trims

DAB5728E-4537-4AAA-B29C-6521AFFF91B8.thumb.jpeg.4eead2ab9d616ca536de3e731a33e4f6.jpeg

Anyway everyone parked in a field around the corner and I parked nose to nose with a bright red 820Si Fastback , with a reg about 5 away from mine .

During the day I met the driver , who was an old neighbour of my Grandma from when she lived in Birmingham, can’t remember his name , but I do remember he worked at Longbridge and it was his first 800. He usually chose a Maestro and changed every 6 months, but this was going to be his last car before retirement and he hoped he’d be offered it as part of his leaving package...

Granny died years ago and my Dad can’t remember this guys name, it’d be great if it was this one. At least you know I didn’t abuse it, we had an  820 and later a lovely green Vitesse 2.7 with practically Sterling spec. Which I managed to hold onto for 3 months and would often see 150 on the clock. When it went back the collection driver thought the sheepskin mats didn’t belong in the car and left them with reception, those mats went in every brown or beige interiored car I had for years.

Thats an amazing story thanks for sharing it could very well be the same car. The car has stacks of paperwork am hoping to find time to go through it soon so if i find out anymore information il let you know 👍

10 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That fastback is the business Motown. You seem to have a knack of sourcing some belters. Still reckon you should have purchased the black bodykitted one as well obviously 😉 

Looking forward to seeing it returned to minty freshness. 

I wasn't aware of the black one until it was too late i was busy sorting this one out and only saw your tag after it had eneded. Its a real shame but you cant win em all. Ive been trying for an automatic SD1 for the 9 years 🤣

16 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

I seeit now..  playing the long game and cornering the market in well loved Rover 800s!

Naah i find it incredibly difficult to let go of them ive sold a few in the past that i have restored and although they went to good homes it didn't feel right. I love these cars and Rovers in general so i desperately want to preserve the marque or at the very least the cars i own for myself.

I think  the Rover 800 especially the 827 is the best car ever built i can safely say its the only car i wanna drive and now i have several il still be driving one ten years from now... Well that's the plan anyway

I'd admired that one on eBay, too! It looks like a really good example. The Birmingham area numberplate is a good indication that it started off with Rover Group, Company Vehicles, PO Box 395, Longbridge on the first registration document. 😄

I look forward to hearing more about it!

I have two 800s; a Mk2 saloon and this Mk1 Fastback, but with the earlier slimline bumpers.

662288021_19Aug2013(13).thumb.jpg.f9686ccd1a23eb2ab1228b7c4ba63cb4.jpg

27 minutes ago, Austin-Rover said:

I'd admired that one on eBay, too! It looks like a really good example. The Birmingham area numberplate is a good indication that it started off with Rover Group, Company Vehicles, PO Box 395, Longbridge on the first registration document. 😄

I have two 800s; a Mk2 saloon and this Mk1 Fastback, but with the earlier slimline bumpers.

Oh my that is a beautiful example and your in Huddersfield? There i was thinking i was the only chap in South/West Yorkshire with Mk1s.... I salute you! 👍

I have a few Mk1s and a few other Rovers maybe when this covid malarkey has gone away we can meet up

On 2/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, Austin-Rover said:

Aren’t they Serck plates as well for added shite?