Audi A2.

Leyland Worldmaster

The FSI is definitely an enthusiast option only now that they have aged - you also forget an additional Achilles heel in the form of the cooling system: they run at a much higher operating temperature than other engines (110 degrees - even though the needle is calibrated to read 90 by the way!!), to help fuel economy. All well and good, but then they ruined the idea by deciding to make several critical (and now obsolete & about to become out of stock in the U.K. from Audi) engine cooling pipes  from plastic - which goes brittle with age and the high temperatures!

One pipe in particular is called the “death pipe” by A2 lickers for good reason.

Many of the FSI issues can be sorted by getting the car’s ECU reflashed by a company in Germany which greatly simplify matters by removing the stratified mode and setting the thermostat (which is electronic) to run at normal temperatures.  You can also then run no NOX sensor without throwing an EML.

I’ve only ever driven the A2s I own (both the more powerful version of the TDi - and both have been remapped before I got them so are very quick and return 55-60mpg), so I’ve no experience of the FSI, but I’m told the drive when they’re working well is a rev-happy grin-inducing riot -  and this modification doesn’t really make any real-world difference to power or economy; therefore because it cures so many inherent weaknesses this is the mod to go for. I’m also told they can easily beat 50mpg on a steady cruise which is impressive even today.

Pic of mine taken yesterday: image.thumb.jpeg.0b9cccc7ccfd75c30d37fd2cf26a8534.jpeg

9 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Aluminium is a godsend for sure, but remember they still have steel subframes

Indeed, my brother observed after he bought his that the nether regions are steel and still go fizzy in road salt. He was surprised to discover some VAG engineer had sneaked an aluminium jack past the beancounters; good work that man! 🤪

@SiC The engine management system is smart enough to allow 95 octane fuel to be used safely. But the drop in performance and economy is such, that there's absolutely no point in doing that !

@Dj_efk People worry about the plastic parts in the cooling system, but they are pretty common VAG parts bin items so aftermarket versions are widely available and cheap. The electronically-controlled thermostat is an exception, of course, and another example of unnecessary complexity. Trust me, when mine goes it will be replaced by the venerable R5 thermostat in the top hose !

Regarding the Proboost ECU, it's hailed as some sort of panacaea for the FSi engine but I'm not convinced that it is. It also costs 60% of what my entire car cost, which I don't think I can justify.

I'm not sure what people are comparing the A2 FSi with, when they make all sorts of enthusiastic comments about its performance. It's basically a "lukewarm hatch", with similar performance to a Clio II RSi (and without that car's excellent combination or ride and handling). It's probably true you can achieve 50mpg, but I can assure you it's not easy. Mine returns 48mpg if one exercises self-restraint, and a pretty decent 45mpg if one does not !

Lovely TDi's, by the way, especially the cherry red (or merlot red ?) one with the pepperpots !

21 minutes ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

@SiC The engine management system is smart enough to allow 95 octane fuel to be used safely. But the drop in performance and economy is such, that there's absolutely no point in doing that !

It's supposed to be but runs like dog shit if you do from what we found. Lumpy idle and acceleration wasn't smooth at all. Putting super back in on a nearly empty tank brought it back to some form of normality. At least on that Golf we had. Also reckoned its more likely to burn valves if on 95.

28 minutes ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

VAG parts bin items

This might be of interest:

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/found-on-elsawin-rough-engine-explanation-de-stratifying-the-fsi.28318/

I wonder if an A3 ECU post 2005 have an immo off and stuck in an A2 to remove the troublesome stratified injection mode. 

10 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I could be wrong! I haven't looked at one for a while but I'm pretty sure they do 

There is a sort of Subframe at the front. No Subframe at the back though. The later pressed steel front suspension control arms are known to rot badly. 😎

Here's a thread which shows the thing I'm thinking of... 

Can't post the fucking link... I'll try again later... 

2 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

There is a sort of Subframe at the front. No Subframe at the back though. The later pressed steel front suspension control arms are known to rot badly. 😎

Here's a thread which shows the thing I'm thinking of... 

Can't post the fucking link... I'll try again later... 

Ah yes, it's those control arms I was thinking of! My memory wasn't quite perfect 

@SiCInteresting find about the early A3 FSi's having their stratified mode disabled - didn't realise this was possible ! The problem (and the reason for my scepticism regarding the Proboost ECU) is that the stratified mode is the least of one's worries when it comes to the A2 FSi's reliability issues...

@horriblemercedesA2s do have a steel front subframe (more of a crossmember, actually), at the back they have the usual VAG beam axle which is bolted straight onto the aluminium spaceframe.

@TrabbieRonnieThere's plenty of reasons to be put off A2s if you're looking for "a car". The most important is that a good A2 costs at least double what a conventionally bodied VW/Seat/Skoda using the same running gear would sell for.