Audi A2.

Leyland Worldmaster

39 minutes ago, HMC said:

Actually I found the same engine in a polo I had sounded odd to me and I love 5 cyl. engines. There’s a thing about the chain drive to the oil pump that also put me off them a bit. Just sounded like dubious over elaborate engineering in a mission critical area.

Yes, there's conflicting information as to when to change these items; I decided to get mine done after nearly seven years and 117,000 miles in my ownership. 

Expensive day out, but less expensive than an engine shitting itself on lane three of a Motorway! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

DSC_7136.JPG

24 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Yes, there's conflicting information as to when to change these items; I decided to get mine done after nearly seven years and 117,000 miles in my ownership. 

Expensive day out, but less expensive than an engine shitting itself on lane three of a Motorway! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

DSC_7136.JPG

The general consensus on the excellent a2oc.net forum is that you should replace the chain and tensioner that  drives the oil pump & balance shaft at the next cam belt interval after 110k, miles while it’s all apart anyway.

Some have been known to soldier on without this to the lunar mileages that these are famous for (I think the high score on the forum is currently somewhere around the 500k mark!) - however you’re running an increased risk after this point as some seem to wear faster than others for no obvious reason (failure has been known to occur at circa 150k miles on cars that have been well-maintained as they should have been). I had mine done a few months ago at 135k and whilst there was wear, it would have probably been fine for more than half of that again at least.

In short, @HMC if you ever consider one of these again then this point is not an issue, just get it done if needed according to the advice above - then you can forget about it.

I’m happy if these stay forgotten and low in value as I’ll never sell mine and don’t want A2-specific parts (trim etc.) to become pricey!

45 minutes ago, Dj_efk said:

The general consensus on the excellent a2oc.net forum is that you should replace the chain and tensioner that  drives the oil pump & balance shaft at the next cam belt interval after 110k, miles while it’s all apart anyway.

Some have been known to soldier on without this to the lunar mileages that these are famous for (I think the high score on the forum is currently somewhere around the 500k mark!) - however you’re running an increased risk after this point as some seem to wear faster than others for no obvious reason (failure has been known to occur at circa 150k miles on cars that have been well-maintained as they should have been). I had mine done a few months ago at 135k and whilst there was wear, it would have probably been fine for more than half of that again at least.

In short, @HMC if you ever consider one of these again then this point is not an issue, just get it done if needed according to the advice above - then you can forget about it.

I’m happy if these stay forgotten and low in value as I’ll never sell mine and don’t want A2-specific parts (trim etc.) to become pricey!

I reckon if we tell people they're shite, they will stay under the radar... 😁

Why am I even searching the internet for Audi A2s ?

Relive the dream.

2003 Audi a2 1.6tdi sport Alloys etc Cars losing water. Also requires battery due to sitting 1 key and v5 Hole in Exhaust £350 takes it. Will need new battery to start. NO MOT

May be an image of car and food

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/686378342044364/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

I'd like to own one at some point. Agree with HMC re pricing, but when I look they are always on the steep side. Nice lookimg ones at least.

Interesting comparison with Honda Jazz - also on my must-own list, I hadn't considered them as similar conceptually but I guess they share a similar shape and desire to be clever.

2 hours ago, doug said:

Why am I even searching the internet for Audi A2s ?

Relive the dream.

2003 Audi a2 1.6tdi sport Alloys etc Cars losing water. Also requires battery due to sitting 1 key and v5 Hole in Exhaust £350 takes it. Will need new battery to start. NO MOT

May be an image of car and food

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/686378342044364/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

There wasn't a 1.6TDI; from the pictures, it appears to be a 1.6FSI... Carry out the sensible checks, look at the Buyer's Guide on the A2OC and then go for it! 

Further advice too; watch Garages like a hawk and make sure you are familiar with the correct Jacking Points. 

The Sill Covers are Plastic and NOT structural. Also, on the UK N/S the F/R Brake Lines are situated some way above these Sill Covers. 

If a Garage attempts to lift on the Sill Cover on that side... 

Please don't ask me how I know... It was a fucking close call! I use a different Garage that knows the A2 now... 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

Edited by Leyland Worldmaster
A better look at the advertisement.

1 hour ago, marm said:

I'd like to own one at some point. Agree with HMC re pricing, but when I look they are always on the steep side. Nice lookimg ones at least.

Interesting comparison with Honda Jazz - also on my must-own list, I hadn't considered them as similar conceptually but I guess they share a similar shape and desire to be clever.

Sooner rather than later! The rate of attrition is high! 

When I was looking on Auto Trader back in 2014, I recall seeing about 230 for sale nationally. 

In 2019 when it was touch and go with the Insurance Company, I saw about 23... And the choice wasn't so great... 

Well I picked Alison up today. She passed her MOT with one advisory notice. 

The A\C was inoperative due to the Filter Drier Pipe Connection O Ring being fucked, m8. 

Also, Alison was doing a good impression of a Volvo B7TL with her Radiator Fan running at full speed. 

The excellent resources on the Audi A2 Owners Club revealed the Lower Radiator Hose Temperature Sensor was probably the cause. Which it was! 

Alison is on 246,000 miles and will be eighteen this year! She can do many things legally now! 

😁😁😁🎉🎉🎉🎊🎊🎊

Today, Lord Boots and I decided to tidy Alison's boot. I "Re-purpose" Metro Newspapers as Seat Covers and Floor Mats. 

The thing is, a large boot hides many things. So I'd forgotten about these... 

DSC_7689.JPG

DSC_7692.JPG

DSC_7691.JPG

DSC_7690.JPG

DSC_7695.JPG

Edited by Leyland Worldmaster
Oops. Pressed "Send" too soon!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good thread this, keep wondering if I should look into one of these.  They come up pretty regularly, and for cheepz.

Aluminium bodies are the way forward up here in the rusty Highlands.  Ideally, a second A8 would be purchased, but Mrs TR actually has to park in car parks with other people and stuff, and I am informed that the 8 is too big (and a bit 'arseholey'!?!).

If the A2 came in quattro flavour it would be an absolute no-brainer, anyone driven one in the snow?  I'm thinking as they're light, with decent tyres on they may be ok?

On 22/09/2021 at 22:26, Barry Cade said:

Am I the only one who has an irrational hatred for these things? 

Having owned one, no! 

The one I owned was very much end of life though and that end couldn't come soon enough as far as I was concerned. 

There was a great car in there somewhere, I think Audi gave up 3/4 of the way through designing it though and went to the pub.

The Honda Jazz that replaced it was a better car in almost every way.

My friend has two, a diesel and a 1.6 FSI. I've driven the 1.6 a bit and quite like it. Clever little car and quite pleasant, although I wasn't too keen on the drivetrain (engine was kind of thirsty and needed super and not nice to rev out, clutch and gearchange somehow a bit horrible in a way that I find affects most VAG cars).

I would happily have one if I wanted a town runabout but as most of my driving is big A-roads and motorways, it's not quite the right car for me.

2 hours ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Good thread this, keep wondering if I should look into one of these.  They come up pretty regularly, and for cheepz.

Aluminium bodies are the way forward up here in the rusty Highlands.  Ideally, a second A8 would be purchased, but Mrs TR actually has to park in car parks with other people and stuff, and I am informed that the 8 is too big (and a bit 'arseholey'!?!).

If the A2 came in quattro flavour it would be an absolute no-brainer, anyone driven one in the snow?  I'm thinking as they're light, with decent tyres on they may be ok?

Aluminium is a godsend for sure, but remember they still have steel subframes

I’ve now picked up a second TDi90 since my post above, also with the six speed gearbox upgrade.

I enjoy owning both and find them economical, interesting and generally rewarding cars to drive, work on and own. Much like I did with my series one Austin Allegro and both the mk1 Leyland Princesses I owned back in the day. You can draw your own conclusions on my taste I guess.

An added bonus is that despite them not feeling tiny inside, their small external dimensions - particularly the very narrow profile - makes them ideal for the Devon lanes round here, I can bomb along knowing my wing mirrors will not need to pick up yet another scrape on the hedge and / or the other car that’s about to appear round the next blind bend going like the clappers.

14 minutes ago, Dj_efk said:

I’ve now picked up a second TDi90 since my post above, also with the six speed gearbox upgrade.

I enjoy owning both and find them economical, interesting and generally rewarding cars to drive, work on and own. Much like I did with my series one Austin Allegro and both the mk1 Leyland Princesses I owned back in the day. You can draw your own conclusions on my taste I guess.

An added bonus is that despite them not feeling tiny inside, their small external dimensions - particularly the very narrow profile - makes them ideal for the Devon lanes round here, I can bomb along knowing my wing mirrors will not need to pick up yet another scrape on the hedge and / or the other car that’s about to appear round the next blind bend going like the clappers.

Agreed, they feel much larger inside than they are and also have a very nice interior design that (to me) is actually quite timeless

12 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I would have one of the 1.6 ones if the chance came up. 

The 1.6 is the one everyone will tell you not to buy, and for good reason.

VW have basically taken the 1990s Golf/Polo 1.6 8v block, bodged on a 16v head (two cambelts, two tensioners, two idlers - naturally !) then added further complication with VVT, variable intake lenghts, a first-generation direct injection system of questionable reliability and a myriad sensors for the engine management system. And this veritable marvel of technology just about manages to produce 110HP and returns (in the lightweight, aerodynamic A2 body) high 40s to the gallon, which is frankly not all that impressive.

Basically, only a fool would buy the 1.6 ! I know, because I am such a fool.

23 minutes ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

The 1.6 is the one everyone will tell you not to buy, and for good reason.

VW have basically taken the 1990s Golf/Polo 1.6 8v block, bodged on a 16v head (two cambelts, two tensioners, two idlers - naturally !) then added further complication with VVT, variable intake lenghts, a first-generation direct injection system of questionable reliability and a myriad sensors for the engine management system. And this veritable marvel of technology just about manages to produce 110HP and returns (in the lightweight, aerodynamic A2 body) high 40s to the gallon, which is frankly not all that impressive.

Basically, only a fool would buy the 1.6 ! I know, because I am such a fool.

I think that age requires super unleaded too. Certainly did in our 2004 Golf Mk5 1.6 FSi. Not E10 compliant either on that generation. I think they were after 2006. Also have a ridiculously expensive (£400+) NOX sensor that often does fail (ours did). EML comes on when the sensor isn't quite in spec and thus MOT failure item. Only did like 34-36 on a motorway cruise in the Golf. About the same as the much later and much more powerful 2.0TFSi TT Mk2 we had. 

Mates girlfriend had a 1.6fsi in an A2. EML came on and low down on power. Ended up at an Audi dealer for diagnosis as no other garage would touch it. They basically ended up stripping the engine down and told her it was a burnt valve. Think she paid 1.5k in dealer diagnosis costs to find that out. Wasn't even that old at that point or had done many miles. 

1 minute ago, SiC said:

I think that age requires super unleaded too.

Mates girlfriend had a 1.6fsi in an A2. EML came on and low down on power. Ended up at an Audi dealer for diagnosis as no other garage would touch it. They basically ended up stripping the engine down and told her it was a burnt valve. Think she paid 1.5k in dealer diagnosis costs to find that out. Wasn't even that old at that point or had done many miles. 

True. It's not even a nice engine to use. It doesn't rev nicely or feel powerful or nice to use. That's the one I would avoid, myself.