Autoshite chat over Zoom - 8.00pm Tuesday PM Mrs6C for details

Six-cylinder

3 hours ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

My face is more suited to radio so I am out.............

You don't have to use video on Zoom - you can have an image, or even just your username on screen, and still chat through audio.

3 hours ago, Macscrooge said:

Oh, and for what it’s worth I have a fair bit of experience hosting Zoom sessions for up to 50(!) people.  And a paid Zoom licence....

This is a good point - I'm sure @Six-cylinder knows already, but 'free' Zoom meetings are limited in both time and attendance.

Anyhoo, I'm in. Assuming I don't fall asleep after I finish work, which happens worryingly often.

14 hours ago, Macscrooge said:

Oh, and for what it’s worth I have a fair bit of experience hosting Zoom sessions for up to 50(!) people.  And a paid Zoom licence....

Great idea. Having taken part in a couple of zoom sessions I can say that the most annoying thing about them is being cut off at the time limit (1hr?) which I’m guessing you don’t have if you pay the subscription?

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Fancy joining together for an Autoshite chat over Zoom? - Now set for Wed 17 Feb at 7.30pm, Don’t forget to PM me in advance for the Zoom link
On 2/13/2021 at 5:58 PM, Ghosty said:

Can you get Zoom on Ubuntu? I've never used it.

Assuming your audio and video are operational, then yes, Zoom will operate on an Ubuntu machine.  It definitely works through browser, and I think there is a .tar installer for it, although my experience of installing that way is very limited.  Gnu/Linux has now got to the point you don't need to email someone in Finland with more dots in their email address than there are M&Ms in a packet to be able to get software to work, hence I can now use it.

On 13/02/2021 at 17:58, Ghosty said:

I'll have to set my laptop up for this, there's no webcam on my PC. 

Do you use Android?

Get Droidcam, it turns your phone into a webcam. You install the app on the phone and the client on the PC and you can run it through USB debugging mode or just over wifi. I've used it before and it works like a charm due to phones generally having much better cameras than shitey cheap webcams.

16 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

No one wants to see my face.
I upset children.

It is a chat focusing on cars and all are welcome. 

If you feel the need then you can always switch off your video and leave the sound on.

This is a picture of a Shiter scared by children!

P1090782 broad.jpg

On 13/02/2021 at 17:59, Dick Longbridge said:

Sounds good. I assume it's a requirement to sit on a chair next to our shitest vehicle whilst drinking questionable alcohol and burning petrol covered rags in an old oil drum to keep the pneumonia at bay? 

*only if building a Scooby/chop/6R4

** In A Shed!! @Matt Green

As Talbot says you have to download it, 'cos it's not open source therefore not available via Synaptic or the Ubuntu store. Easy enough though:

• CONTROL-ALT-T to open a terminal
  • wget https://zoom.us/client/latest/zoom_amd64.deb
  • sudo apt install ./zoom_amd64.deb (enter your password when prompted)

You should then be sorted, feel free to give me a shout if not.

1 hour ago, strangeangel said:

Easy enough though:

And that's why I never actually managed to do anything with Ubunto!

pm sent for password, there's nowt on the telly until the dismal cliche fest that is 'the bay' at nine

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

It is a chat focusing on cars and all are welcome. 

If you feel the need then you can always switch off your video and leave the sound on.

This is a picture of a Shiter scared by children!

P1090782 broad.jpg

It's amazing how one can be so frightened by a vehicle so stationary. 

Will PM for a link, should be able to make this. It's not as if the pub's open. 

Yes, plenty of people at work use Zoom on their Linux laptops. It also happily runs on most smart phones natively. 

10 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yes, plenty of people at work use Zoom on their Linux laptops. It also happily runs on most smart phones natively. 

I use Zoom (amongst a lot of others) on my Linux laptop and there's never been a problem with it. 

Even Microsoft Teams works on it!

10 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I'd like to join in, but bit anxious about meeting people I feel i have known for years but never met or spoken to before....

At least you’re not picking up a terrible car from any of us - that’s usually the way we find out what each other look like...

20 minutes ago, Wilko220 said:

At least you’re not picking up a terrible car from any of us - that’s usually the way we find out what each other look like...

You saying that reminded me that I have met more than I realised from selling and buying a number of bikes and cars here. 

Wont be so anxious now.