How Many Horses? - Free Beer

Saabnut

A quick Google shows that guesstimated transmission losses are around 15 to 20% of flywheel bhp for a rwd car, which seems a bit odd as it's the same (manual) gearbox and diff regardless of how much power you feed through it.  An autobox would sap some more power than a manual, obv.  I'd guess they would maybe adapt the generalised calculations slightly to suit each car.

So my 348 flywheel bhp becomes 295 at the wheels. (Final answer, don't want to phone a friend).

32 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

A quick Google shows that guesstimated transmission losses are around 15 to 20% of flywheel bhp for a rwd car, which seems a bit odd as it's the same (manual) gearbox and diff regardless of how much power you feed through it.  An autobox would sap some more power than a manual, obv.  I'd guess they would maybe adapt the generalised calculations slightly to suit each car.

So my 348 flywheel bhp becomes 295 at the wheels.  (Final answer, don't want to phone a friend).

I could be talking out my arse (probably am) but I think the WHP is calculated on the dyno as revs climb at WOT, then they put it in neutral/dip the clutch when the pull finishes, which allows the dyno to calculate the driveline losses as it spools down somehow which can then be used to calculate flywheel BHP. 

3 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

No, lazy detroit penny pinching, alaruming smog nonsense that was very silly and increased fuel consumption and a soupcon of insurance loadings for big horsepower meant the 1970s were the decade that power was forgotten in the US. IIRC at one point there were 5 litre small blocks available that put out something like 120 nags, makes the 90bhp V8 in the stage one landrover look like a NASCAR entry.

My guess is 427* on the basis that 1 dobbin per cube is about as much as is readily achievable while remaining civilised on the road with analogue things like dizzies and carbs.

*I reserve the right to retrospectively claim I meant SAE, DIN or some other made-up standard that allows me to win.

I know 70s spec V8s were pretty throttled for oomph, I thought the Cobra would predate the smog control days though?

45 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

I know 70s spec V8s were pretty throttled for oomph, I thought the Cobra would predate the smog control days though?

Any number of reasons it might have a low output; badly set cam, mismatched cam and rockers, badly cut valve seats, badly flowed or unflowed ports, wrong pistons giving low compression, intake manifold not matched to heads, untrimmed intake manifold gasket, etc I could fill a page but you get the drift. If the engine was built by someone with more enthusiasm than skill it could easily end up a duffer while a list of expensive components that went into it would impress on a receipt. I think this is one of the 80s continuation Cobras, wiki says they were sold with a 250hp 289 small block, clearly someone fancied bigger numbers.

60s Cobras probably mostly came with modest levels of power(by modern standards) because Shelby's original idea was cost control through using OTS engines; the 260 and 289 engines were ~160 and ~200 as standard, although some references suggest the AC versions were more like 250 and 300. Bottom line, most of the performance stems from the Cobra weighing less than a damp packet of fags. The big block cars are something else; the baseline for road-going 427 side-oilers is about 400, with very silly numbers for actual race engines.

7 hours ago, New POD said:

273 BHP at 5400 RPM

295Nm at 3123 RPM 

And a red line at 6501 (that is don't take it above 6510 because it wasn't built by Honda. 

Also we need to know when the rolling road was last calibrated. 

9 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Have we had 272 yet?

I’m saying 272.

No. Not 272. 

I reckon around 228.71 at the wheels. 

A friend has a Dax Cobra with a Jag V12 (slightly bored out) fed with six Weber IDAs, and fitted with very lumpy cams. He keeps meaning to get it on the dyno...