How Many Horses? - Free Beer

Saabnut

17 hours ago, Saabnut said:

I will do a post on the history of the car later in the week. It was originally fitted with a brand new 357 but when Carroll Shelby drove it (I have a picture of him at the wheel) he insisted on a 427 and a 400 out of a 73 Chevelle was acquired and built to what it is.

That presumably puts the ford nerdists in a tizwaz over a GM product displacing FoMoCo.

I have a video on a run but a) cannot figure how to get it off my phone and b) it is very muted due to the exhaust collectors.

Anyway, the results are in. I am still awaiting confirmation of the weight but believed to be 1075kg. Very happy with the torque, a little disappointed with the power output.

plot.thumb.jpg.9163fea22303b2a886143bc8471f4beb.jpg

A pint to @Fumbler and to show I am not a poor loser one for @Skizzer as well!

Having thought about it, one of the priorities with this car is reliability as it will be making fairly regular trips between Aberdeen and Lemans (just under 2k miles round trip) and having a relatively unstressed engine should help with that. The torque should ensure a fun drive whilst retaining some semblance of control.

There are only 2 tyres still made for the rear, BFG All terrains :-) and Avon ZZR semi race tyres. The last set (9 years ago) cost £1200 trade, and they will need changing at the end of this year. They are superb tyres though.

35 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

Look at the torques, for a 1100kg car.   PMSL.  Happy times ahead.

This. Torque is much more fun than power and you’ve got literally truckloads of it.

What a fabulous device in every way 😁

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

and to show I am not a poor loser one for @Skizzer as well!

Ha! Cheers! I’ll be glad to get a round in too when such things are allowed again.

2 hours ago, Saabnut said:

I have a video on a run but a) cannot figure how to get it off my phone and b) it is very muted due to the exhaust collectors.

Anyway, the results are in. I am still awaiting confirmation of the weight but believed to be 1075kg. Very happy with the torque, a little disappointed with the power output.

plot.thumb.jpg.9163fea22303b2a886143bc8471f4beb.jpg

I R disapoint. Still, as you say it should be docile and civilised to drive with curves like that; there's some constriction in there as it gives up at 3700 and starts twiddling its thumbs.

Just spoken to my friend who took it down. First he reminded me that it was wheel HP so add 20-30% ??? for transmission losses. The printout shows losses as 19HP but I am unsure of what these things mean. He said that to increase HP we would reduce Torque, especially at low revs. He said it drives superbly and would not change a thing! Coming home at 85mph it was sat at 1800 rpm and just lolloped along!

@hairnetthe tyres are super sticky, the last attempted 11 (on the Mulsanne straight) destroyed the clutch......

When lockdown ends I can go and fetch it.....

The printout:

numbers1.thumb.jpg.e8dfa4febec29b0eeac9f04e7debe68d.jpg

numbers2.thumb.jpg.41271d3f7e2c3e4db1ee720b254d318c.jpg

2 minutes ago, Asimo said:

What size are the rear tyres? Just curious, having once run a car for which rear tyres were just no longer available (255/45 -15).

I cannot be sure but memory tells me 285/50-15 - the only reason they are still available is they were fitted to early 60s Corvettes, hence race tyres being the default.

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

He said that to increase HP we would reduce Torque, especially at low revs.

You might already know this but:

BHP = Torque * RPM / 5252

A lot of low down torque that eases off with revs will give a max bhp that appears disappointing. Modern engines with turbos and fuel injection can give a flat torque curve, so give good bhp and still low down performance.

Low down torque is the head snapping umpfh and responsive feel that people likes.