Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

Some people do still operate like there is some sort of code of honour and you have to let the first person to call view first or you'll be seen as a scoundrel.

Try not to get wound up about it, his prerogative to take a 50/50 chance that the other buyer will either not turn up or will turn up but will only be able to offer £400 and/or a non-pedigree staffy for it because his budgie needs surgery and he's skint because the police raided his weed grow.

I’ve been trawling through gumtree and fb marketplace for a cheap sub £1500 car recently and I’m really struggling with the morons. 

The way the cheap car market is at the moment it appears there’s no haggling, things sell within an hour or two and if you’re not quick to message you don’t even get a reply. 

The only stuff I’ve really had a reply from is cars which have problems and require repair and don’t sell as quick. Even there the price is higher than it should be (IMHO) 

Was talking about this the other night, the price of cars has taken quite a lot of the fun out it for me. 

The type of thing you'd pick up for £400 with a ticket is now well into "actual money", money that could make a difference elsewhere in life. 

There's an element of rose tinted specs, it was always hard going trawling Gumtree but don't recall it being quite so dire. 

I like buying and selling and experiencing different makes and models. In the glorious year of 2018 I went through 13 cars, can't see my turnover ever being that high again. More inclined to look after what I've got now seeing as they appear to be actual assets. 

15 hours ago, Shortos said:

Am I the assh*le in this situation? More than happy to be told I’ve got the car selling etiquette wrong. 
a Focus is up for sale on eBay for £800 with a Buy It Now button and Make an Offer button. I message and offer £750 to pick up tomorrow or Sunday. The seller replies he has someone viewing it (only viewing) on Monday so is unwilling to consider my offer until after that. I message back saying I’ll pay the full price so as not to lose the car over a mere £50. The seller replies No.  I’ve not replied yet as im not sure if he’s being a moron or I’m being pushy.  What say you? 

The seller is being a fool to himself.  You're obviously a serious buyer and the seller is turning you down so a potential messer can view it or not even turn up!  It's first there with the cash

I once had something similar on a Mk1 Sierra, the woman was adamant that someone was coming to view on Wednesday that sounded keen, despite me saying if it’s as described I’ll have it and be there within the hour. Absolute pillocks, hopefully a pack of six turned up and put the fucker on its roof. 

32 minutes ago, davehedgehog31 said:

Was talking about this the other night, the price of cars has taken quite a lot of the fun out it for me. 

The type of thing you'd pick up for £400 with a ticket is now well into "actual money", money that could make a difference elsewhere in life. 

There's an element of rose tinted specs, it was always hard going trawling Gumtree but don't recall it being quite so dire. 

I like buying and selling and experiencing different makes and models. In the glorious year of 2018 I went through 13 cars, can't see my turnover ever being that high again. More inclined to look after what I've got now seeing as they appear to be actual assets. 

It’s not really worth buying anything with problems now as people expect it to be pitched at just above what the part would cost from some god forsaken scrapyard in Bury on eBay less than a good one. 

Out of the normal AS realm but more towards classic and sought after stuff but....

Oh look, car and classic have a 20k mile immaculate example with one owner, full history, always garaged, all original, a folder of invoices and in the best colour for £25k.

Owner glances out the window at his 120k mile, part history, scruffy interior, lacquer peeling shit box in a hideous shade of green and thinks "well that must be £20k then!"

On 3/18/2023 at 9:11 AM, sierraman said:

I once had something similar on a Mk1 Sierra, the woman was adamant that someone was coming to view on Wednesday that sounded keen, despite me saying if it’s as described I’ll have it and be there within the hour. Absolute pillocks, hopefully a pack of six turned up and put the fucker on its roof. 

Some people work in odd ways! 

for me if I was selling first with actual money gets it.

if I’m buying I’m going with money or the means to transfer, it’s not fucking window shopping  if it checks out ok.

• 2 months later...