Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

6 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I’m not sure it’s a BMW anymore after that brief conversation. 

Some cars will attract undue hassle when selling, none more than BMW, Audi’s and VAG of a certain age. Something to be said for offering it at a grand and then waiting for the inevitable pack of six to turn up at a really unsociable hour then after a few minutes grappling on the floor accept an offer of £500.

They think they’ve a bargain, you’ve got the sum you wanted, Euro Car Parts is kept in business with an assortment of sub par parts thrown at it by the new owner, the recovery driver is kept busy once it’s pulled over for no tax and insurance and ultimately EMR have another ton and a half of ferrous to process by the following Friday. 

On 05/09/2022 at 13:20, RoverFolkUs said:

Clearly nobody is able to form a sentence and speak properly these days. 

Imagine asking someone face to face "swap 2011 Astra" 🤦‍♂️

It surely can't be that difficult to say "would you consider a swap for a 2011 Astra" 

Then that would make him look even less of a numpty if it says no swaps on the advert anyway 🤦‍♂️😆

You'd have to be stupid to want to swap a 2011 Astra for a shit old fiesta.  The astra J is so good its boring.

Or the Astra must be very fucked.  Which is stupid, because parts are so cheap and readily available for them 

I had my 7 series up on marketing place for £6500 and had a guy constantly messaging me saying "£4500. That's all it's worth it's not ULEZ compliant" .  I live in Scotland I don't give a fuck. 

The other interesting one was the guy who phoned me to say it's say it's only worth 4  grand as I can see it's smoking in the pictures. The pictures when the car was turned off.

Hold out hope though one normal guy turned up, paid full asking price and drove it away that night quite happy so they are still out there.

A guy came up from London way last Friday and bought my sons Project E36 for a grand then trailered it home, probably could have got more but he was the only one who turned up with the cash.

he didn’t want the M3 front bumper and other bits as they wasn’t original to the car so that’s all gone back on Facebook 

16 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

If they don't know what it is, why are they asking? A video of a speaker must be...riveting...

Quite often at car boots I get asked "what is it" - both in the instance of a buyer and when I'm rarely a seller 🤔

The former annoys me even more, why should I have to explain what it is before you decide your price!?

14 hours ago, High Jetter said:

If they don't know what it is, why are they asking? A video of a speaker must be...riveting...

You would be amazed of the "is it working M9" messages you get (despite saying in the advert its in perfect working order) followed by "Where are you M8" despite putting "collection from PR5 5JD Lostock Hall in the advert.

I won’t do them now as a seller, I’ve not got the patience. After last time we had a massive negotiation over a pair of curtains, the woman was determined to pay £2 for them. I’d have literally fought to my death to get the £5 for them on principle. After that I decided in the interests of my own liberty I wouldn’t attend another as a seller. 

I've not sold anything in a while so almost missing the daft messages from morons...

I did raffle quite a few cars recently which sold out very quickly (hours) at £20 a go.

The only one that didn't do very well was the Impreza, I made back what it owed me in ticket sales at £1k so I just gave the rest of the tickets away and Ged ended up winning it. I might end up buying it back from him soon.

I made a £430 profit on the 309, the 306 I took in a swap for the unsellable A3 TDI Quattro so even getting £1180 for raffling it I was still losing on all the money I'd thrown at the Audi.

The red 205 I made £300, raffled it on the same night I'd bought it.

The green 205 I made £680.

Not bad at all and most of the winners were happy with their new piles of shit.

IMG_20220824_194604730_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_155229893_HDR.jpg

20220829180657_IMG_7631.JPG

20220807084735_IMG_7605.JPG

20220801123048_IMG_7578.JPG

I’m fairly sure if I have to get rid of any of my magnificent* vehicles I’ll look at a roffle and a lower cumulative price rather than the hassle of dealing with selling it. Or just leave them in a pile.

42 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I won’t do them now as a seller, I’ve not got the patience. After last time we had a massive negotiation over a pair of curtains, the woman was determined to pay £2 for them. I’d have literally fought to my death to get the £5 for them on principle. After that I decided in the interests of my own liberty I wouldn’t attend another as a seller. 

We just got rid of a fairly nice sofa as part of our rearrangement of the house ready for the baby. My mrs wanted to sell it, but I couldn’t be fucked with dealing with morons and rolling in the dirt wrestling over a tenner. I said she could sell it but I’m not talking to anyone, waiting in for anyone, lifting anything… she wasn’t so keen on the idea then. It was too nice to chuck, so we gave it to charity instead. No money for us, but no fucking idiots either. Two lads came in a Luton, carried it out, took it away at the agreed time. All I had to do was open the door and say hello, which I can just about manage.

I may have told this anecdote before, but a few years ago we were unexpectedly moving out of a stopgap rental (landlord broke up with wife and wanted house back). I tried to sell/give away furniture on the usual websites for fuck all money or free as we have dogs so felt cheeky charging but everything was nice and would be good if you had fuck all. The amount of fuckers who stood me up or argued the price over a tenner item was mental. It got to the point where everything needed to be gone that day as not time to get it to charity/wouldn’t fit in cars etc., I got sick of wasters and dragged the remaining furniture out on the lawn, chopped it up with an axe and took it to the tip in my 4x4. Neighbours must have thought I’d gone fucking nuts 🤣

2 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I’m fairly sure if I have to get rid of any of my magnificent* vehicles I’ll look at a roffle and a lower cumulative price rather than the hassle of dealing with selling it. Or just leave them in a pile.

We just got rid of a fairly nice sofa as part of our rearrangement of the house ready for the baby. My mrs wanted to sell it, but I couldn’t be fucked with dealing with morons and rolling in the dirt wrestling over a tenner. I said she could sell it but I’m not talking to anyone, waiting in for anyone, lifting anything… she wasn’t so keen on the idea then. It was too nice to chuck, so we gave it to charity instead. No money for us, but no fucking idiots either. Two lads came in a Luton, carried it out, took it away at the agreed time. All I had to do was open the door and say hello, which I can just about manage.

I may have told this anecdote before, but a few years ago we were unexpectedly moving out of a stopgap rental (landlord broke up with wife and wanted house back). I tried to sell/give away furniture on the usual websites for fuck all money or free as we have dogs so felt cheeky charging but everything was nice and would be good if you had fuck all. The amount of fuckers who stood me up or argued the price over a tenner item was mental. It got to the point where everything needed to be gone that day as not time to get it to charity/wouldn’t fit in cars etc., I got sick of wasters and dragged the remaining furniture out on the lawn, chopped it up with an axe and took it to the tip in my 4x4. Neighbours must have thought I’d gone fucking nuts 🤣

I am actually quite a placid person but even that gets lost when I have to deal with these type of people. 

4 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I am actually quite a placid person but even that gets lost when I have to deal with these type of people. 

Exactly, before trying to clear my house on marketplace I was definitely not an axe wielding maniac! I like a quiet/easy life so won’t be doing that ever again.

I was clearing out a bunch of tat from my spare room recently. I advertised everything for free and also delivered everything locally for free. Everyone I gave stuff to genuinely seemed thankful which was nice but delivering the items just made it so much easier instead of waiting at home for people not to turn up.

I’ve got my AX on eBay and it’s nearly reached what I paid for it, I’ve had a lot of questions about specific things, I really hope I don’t get an ‘enthusiast’ winning it, as a club member ‘enthusiast’ tends to be a massive pain in the arse with all the ‘I’ve got three of these, they’re all maintained etc’ stuff I’m not bothered about. It was a 99p start. :D

To be fair for selling on ebay has been the best for me. Only ever had one time waster when I sold my sisters's focus for spares.

Gumtree / marketplace? Fuck that. I can do without people turning up at my gaff looking like they have just walked away from a plane crash.

10 minutes ago, Bren said:

To be fair for selling on ebay has been the best for me. Only ever had one time waster when I sold my sisters's focus for spares.

Gumtree / marketplace? Fuck that. I can do without people turning up at my gaff looking like they have just walked away from a plane crash.

Which airport do you live near to? I'd like to avoid it.

11 hours ago, DavidB said:

I’ve got my AX on eBay and it’s nearly reached what I paid for it, I’ve had a lot of questions about specific things, I really hope I don’t get an ‘enthusiast’ winning it, as a club member ‘enthusiast’ tends to be a massive pain in the arse with all the ‘I’ve got three of these, they’re all maintained etc’ stuff I’m not bothered about. It was a 99p start. :D

This. I don’t need a potted fucking history, this is purely a business transaction. These enthusiast types are always completely fucking clueless mechanically, whittling about if the trim is correct for the year and then dithering. Worse still is when they bring ‘someone knowledgeable’, it always someones dad who, armed with the 1995 Top Gear Used Car Tips will run a magnet over the body, asks silly questions like ‘is the mileage genuine’ and inevitably is completely outdated in his knowledge thinking he’s looking at a fucking Triumph 2000. 

One of my pals has been dealing with this.

He’s selling a 2008 BMW 630i, had it since 2019 I think. I’ve helped him out, and we’ve done the big jobs on it. All suspension is new, brake are good, we put six injectors in it, and he had the gearbox reconditioned in it early on in his ownership. It’s as good as it’s been during his ownership. He’s had it listed for a while, and hasn’t seen a lot of interest.

One interested party has been asking every “I’m fucking clueless” question under the sun, including the standard comments of ‘I really wish it had main dealer history’. This is on a £4,500, 14 year old BMW.

This reminds me how much I hate selling cars. I usually run them until they’re totally done and sell for a tiny amount. Usually a nice Polish chap that gives me an agreed amount, loads it on a trailer and exports it to Holland or somewhere similar. No kesh price bollocks or asking if the first owner preferred bitter or lager.

On 9/11/2022 at 11:59 AM, JakeT said:

One of my pals has been dealing with this.

He’s selling a 2008 BMW 630i, had it since 2019 I think. I’ve helped him out, and we’ve done the big jobs on it. All suspension is new, brake are good, we put six injectors in it, and he had the gearbox reconditioned in it early on in his ownership. It’s as good as it’s been during his ownership. He’s had it listed for a while, and hasn’t seen a lot of interest.

One interested party has been asking every “I’m fucking clueless” question under the sun, including the standard comments of ‘I really wish it had main dealer history’. This is on a £4,500, 14 year old BMW.

This reminds me how much I hate selling cars. I usually run them until they’re totally done and sell for a tiny amount. Usually a nice Polish chap that gives me an agreed amount, loads it on a trailer and exports it to Holland or somewhere similar. No kesh price bollocks or asking if the first owner preferred bitter or lager.

These sound like there ‘would be car speculators’ you see on YouTube. Fannying around with really ancillary issues. 

On 9/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, Rust Collector said:

I got sick of wasters and dragged the remaining furniture out on the lawn, chopped it up with an axe and took it to the tip

That is exactly what I do with things that are life-expired.  I don't care if they're worth anything, I just cannot be fucked dealing with the public so I just get rid of it.