Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

7 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

while the new plastic notes aren't impossible to counterfeit they're not easy to do convincingly

Funnily enough, the other day the cashier in Tesco was examining the £20s I gave her pretty closely. Apparently there are some fakes floating about, and pretty good ones I'm told.

41 minutes ago, Sham said:

Once the money is in your account, it's safer than cash and there's a trail should anything go wrong.

Better for buying and selling IMO.

Other opinions are available, and never hand over the keys or V5 until the money is there.. even if you have to sit and drink tea with them.

We bought a car last weekend , due to both my and my wife’s ineptitude with phones and apps , the poor woman got £3000 from one account £1500 from another , then the contents of my pockets and wallet . Although she did draw the line at coins, this still left a shortfall of £1300 of the £6500 total. The lady selling the car said to take it and pay her tomorrow, we pointed out this wasn’t a good idea and luckily were able to phone  one of my kids to transfer her some funds( I knew having kids would be useful one day)

This was still easier than the days you had to order cash from your bank and then the recipient would have to hide it in the fridge until the next day when they had to put it back in their bank.

9 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

It's not easy per se, but it's possible for organised criminals. 

If they managed to fund the transfer with a credit card, they could launch a chargeback which would almost certainly withhold the funds. 

Regarding a fake banking app, they're very common at the moment, at least in my area. Usually it will be a very pressuring or intimidating person either on their own or in a group that will insist on taking the goods away before the seller sees funds hit their account. They can become very threatening so for someone on their own it's not an easy situation to deal with. 

I can appreciate how it's convenient, but I don't personally use mobile banking for security purposes. So I would have to faff about on the computer and log in with the card reader. Then what happens if funds don't clear for a couple of hours? The buyer has paid as far as they're concerned but the seller would quite rightly not want to release the car yet. Usually it's instant, but on the rare occasion it isn't there's a lot of awkward waiting around to do. 

It's a good idea when it works properly, but there's so many hurdles that could cause a hiccup along the way it's not worth the hassle or risk for me. 

I don't mind taking cash to the bank as opposed to the risks I perceive with online transfers. Appreciate that tactic won't be ideal for larger sums though and can see how an online transfer would be preferable in that instance. 

504E684E-4BD6-408C-8112-E882A1421161.jpeg.fcb9a3a19ce0752e18716ab97311c398.jpeg

Just now, sierraman said:

A bank transfer can still be reclaimed, if they feel as if a fraudulent transaction or scam has took place. It’s not impervious to there being an issue after the act. 

It can, but it’s extremely rare. I don’t know who you guys are selling cars to but the kind of people capable of properly defrauding the banking system aren’t going to be buying shagged old Mondeos with their ill gotten gains, on the whole. 

To be honest I really don't care and am not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just stating the reasons why I refuse to accept bank transfers from strangers. 

You guys go ahead and take your bank transfers, I'll stick to taking cold hard cash and paying it into the bank myself 

Once the cash is in your hand, if they're not counterfeit you're good and the deal is done and going nowhere. 

People will go to extreme lengths to defraud a few hundred quid if they're desperate enough!! Even if it involves a fucked Mondeo...

5 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

It can, but it’s extremely rare. I don’t know who you guys are selling cars to but the kind of people capable of properly defrauding the banking system aren’t going to be buying shagged old Mondeos with their ill gotten gains, on the whole. 

It’s not applicable to me as I scrap the fuckers once I’ve done.

2 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

We bought a car last weekend , due to both my and my wife’s ineptitude with phones and apps , the poor woman got £3000 from one account £1500 from another , then the contents of my pockets and wallet . Although she did draw the line at coins, this still left a shortfall of £1300 of the £6500 total. The lady selling the car said to take it and pay her tomorrow, we pointed out this wasn’t a good idea and luckily were able to phone  one of my kids to transfer her some funds( I knew having kids would be useful one day)

This was still easier than the days you had to order cash from your bank and then the recipient would have to hide it in the fridge until the next day when they had to put it back in their bank.

£6500 is a lot of money and I wouldn't expect anyone to pay that in cash, fair enough. 

If I had something worth £6500 I wouldn't be selling it on Gumtree or Facebook, too much hassle, either sell it to a trader or through a trusted owners club

3 hours ago, Sham said:

and never hand over the keys or V5 until the money is there.. even if you have to sit and drink tea with them.

That's part of the issue, if an unwise person has succumbed to a fake banking app, the crooks behind these scams can be pretty intimidating to someone who's not 6'6" and 20 stone and waiting around may not be an option. It's not just cars, I see people posting up on Facebook about this shit all the time, upset that someone has coerced them into handing over an iPad, MacBook or whatever worth £500 because the money is "on its way" 

They're organized criminals who know what they're doing, and a few hundred quid is still a few hundred quid 

You're right, but they're also the sort who will carry dodgy cheques or cash.

Bank transfer is still safer, and infinitely more traceable if actually done.

A crook will intimidate goods from you whatever way he chooses to not pay you. A fake transfer, a dodgy cheque, fake cash... A scam is a scam.

For non scammers, transfer is easily the safest for both parties.

11 minutes ago, Sham said:

You're right, but they're also the sort who will carry dodgy cheques or cash.

Bank transfer is still safer, and infinitely more traceable if actually done.

A crook will intimidate goods from you whatever way he chooses to not pay you. A fake transfer, a dodgy cheque, fake cash... A scam is a scam.

For non scammers, transfer is easily the safest for both parties.

Yeah I think I agree.

The kind of 6'6" 20-stone organised crime lord who intimidates someone into handing over keys/goods before cash has landed in an account because they've gone to the trouble of installing a fake banking app will also......just punch you in the face and take back the pile of cash they just gave you.

1 minute ago, mercedade said:

Yeah I think I agree.

The kind of 6'6" 20-stone organised crime lord who intimidates someone into handing over keys/goods before cash has landed in an account because they've gone to the trouble of installing a fake banking app will also......just punch you in the face and take back the pile of cash they just gave you.

Nope, they're not going to pay cash. 

They come for the sole purpose of using the app. If you don't accept it, they'll move on

one of the bouncers at a place i worked years ago did a bit of part time car trading, he occasionally stuck his head round the office door and asked for a handful of the plastic envelopes we used to bank cash. 

turns out when buying a car, he would withdraw cash from the bank, open the sealed envelopes of £1000 and reseal them in a new one containing only £800.

i wonder how many people got caught out by not opening the bags straight away ?

CF5F4D92-2159-4BEE-908C-E7FC4D6F1BEF.jpeg.193d682d1eac2b98ea74ef8b0a777eb3.jpeg

The cash isn't going to be stolen from them? 

Two options: 

Bank transfer - 1) your account details could be stolen and used for other fraudulent purchases. 2) The transaction could later be reversed 3) They can report it as fraudulent, your account gets temporarily frozen 4) A fake banking app 5) The transaction could take an age to go through and waste a lot of time. Especially irritating if the buyer has traveled a long way. 

Cash - 1) the notes could be counterfeit. 

Is it really the safer/most convenient option? What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Two options: 

Bank transfer - 1) your account details could be stolen and used for other fraudulent purchases. 2) The transaction could later be reversed 3) They can report it as fraudulent, your account gets temporarily frozen 4) A fake banking app 5) The transaction could take an age to go through and waste a lot of time. Especially irritating if the buyer has traveled a long way. 

In the same way you have a gumtree phone to avoid gumtree nonsense invading your personal phone, I’ve ended up with a spare debit account through Swift that I only really use for taking payments on things. I have another account with Monzo which is the car/beer fund. My pay goes into/personal bills come out of an account with halifax. I have a savings account with halifax for rainy days/sick dogs/life events (which usually has fuck all in it as there’s always bloody something needs sorting).

If someone wants to transfer money for a car, it goes into the swift account. Once it lands it either goes into the Monzo beer fund or the halifax rainy day fund if my mrs asks.

I’m not really sure how that could go wrong? If someone wants the details of an empty debit account then I’m not sure what they can really do with that. Likewise, can anyone really recall funds that I’ve moved on immediately?

Payments have always landed within a few minutes. I’ve never let anything leave my sight/owner hold the keys after test drive until the money has landed. If someone wants it that bad and is using a fake banking app then they’ll have to beat the shit out of me on my driveway in front of the neighbourhood I’m afraid… will it ever really go that far though? My only particularly sour memory that springs to mind is I once had to tell a group of lads trying it on over my old 5 series (full car of them, all poking and prodding the car, HGF M9 kesh now we take your problem) to fuck off. After a couple of goes of shouting at someone to get the fuck off your property and neighbours poking heads out doors/curtains I reckon most scrotes will realise it’s not going to work out and just move on to the next person.

All of that said, I haven’t sold a car in ages as I just fucking hate dealing with people 😅

5 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

In the same way you have a gumtree phone to avoid gumtree nonsense invading your personal phone, I’ve ended up with a spare debit account through Swift that I only really use for taking payments on things. I have another account with Monzo which is the car/beer fund. My pay goes into/personal bills come out of an account with halifax. I have a savings account with halifax for rainy days/sick dogs/life events (which usually has fuck all in it as there’s always bloody something needs sorting).

If someone wants to transfer money for a car, it goes into the swift account. Once it lands it either goes into the Monzo beer fund or the halifax rainy day fund if my mrs asks.

I’m not really sure how that could go wrong? If someone wants the details of an empty debit account then I’m not sure what they can really do with that. Likewise, can anyone really recall funds that I’ve moved on immediately?

Payments have always landed within a few minutes. I’ve never let anything leave my sight/owner hold the keys after test drive until the money has landed. If someone wants it that bad and is using a fake banking app then they’ll have to beat the shit out of me on my driveway in front of the neighbourhood I’m afraid… will it ever really go that far though? My only particularly sour memory that springs to mind is I once had to tell a group of lads trying it on over my old 5 series (full car of them, all poking and prodding the car, HGF M9 kesh now we take your problem) to fuck off. After a couple of goes of shouting at someone to get the fuck off your property and neighbours poking heads out doors/curtains I reckon most scrotes will realise it’s not going to work out and just move on to the next person.

All of that said, I haven’t sold a car in ages as I just fucking hate dealing with people 😅

A pay as you go SIM card with £10 credit on is a little bit less hassle than opening up another bank account for the purpose of accepting a payment. I sell a car every 2 years or so on average? 

I'd rather drag my sorry arse to the bank to pay some cash in than open a bank account to be used once every couple of years. 

A dormant bank account a better solution, but doesn't make it any less hassle in my eyes. If it works for you or anyone else, cool!

43 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Two options: 

i) You should use multi-factor authentication on every account that you can and in particular, banking apps where it has been the industry standard for over a decade and almost completely mitigates issues around your account details being stolen.

ii)  The transaction is highly unlikely to be reversed and banks only usually accept this if it's proven fraudulent.  Particularly if it has come from a current account.

iii)  See also ii)

iv) Fake banking apps are very, very rare and where they do exist, tend to exist on Android smartphones that are hideously out of date and should not be used.  Please provide an example of where you have seen numerous fake banking apps.

v) I've never had a transaction take more than 20 minutes, including transactions of over £10,000.

1 minute ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

i) You should use multi-factor authentication on every account that you can and in particular, banking apps where it has been the industry standard for over a decade and almost completely mitigates issues around your account details being stolen.

ii)  The transaction is highly unlikely to be reversed and banks only usually accept this if it's proven fraudulent.  Particularly if it has come from a current account.

iii)  See also ii)

iv) Fake banking apps are very, very rare and where they do exist, tend to exist on Android smartphones that are hideously out of date and should not be used.  Please provide an example of where you have seen numerous fake banking apps.

v) I've never had a transaction take more than 20 minutes, including transactions of over £10,000.

Jesus christ. The guy prefers cash. Why are people so militant about this?

1 minute ago, petermcpete said:

I have no problem with the prefence for cash, that's up to the individual.  It's just that the reasons cited for not trusting online banking are both out of date and spurious.

3 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

And if he’d said “I prefer cash” rather than listing a load of utter man in the pub drivel about why bank transfers are bad, I suspect it would’ve been left at that! Some people clearly spend far too much time taking everything Sharon on Facebook says as gospel. 

8 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

And if he’d said “I prefer cash” rather than listing a load of utter man in the pub drivel about why bank transfers are bad, I suspect it would’ve been left at that! Some people clearly spend far too much time taking everything Sharon on Facebook says as gospel. 

Bank transfers are great for transactions between trusted individuals, such as paying for goods or services from businesses or giving money to friends or family. 

Strangers from the internet? No thanks