Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

Just now, Dick Longbridge said:

Lots of time her for old school Nokias although more as items of intrigue rather than useful pieces of equipment. I've still got my very first mobile stashed away in the cupboard  - a Nokia 5110. Battery still lasts well!

Ooooh I'll post the photos of the ones I have stashed on the 'Techy Corner' thread. :)

38 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Currently not, but that could change in a wee while. My daily is a touch screen Samsung thingy, but with the prices of phone contracts and that, I think the Nokia will be picking up some ground here. :)

There's some very cheap SIM only contracts nowadays, if you don't include the phone itself into the contract and buy your own separately you can get unlimited calls/texts with a decent amount of data for around a tenner a month.  Up until now I've always stuck with PAYG as it worked out cheaper since I'm almost always on WiFi anyway, however with texts and calls being hiked to 10p rather than 2p/3p respectively I'm probably going to pull the trigger and go to a contract. 

I'll need to factor in a new phone as my android Nokia is beginning to expire (only about 3 years old, but that's modern technology for you :() but I still think it will work out cheaper and better value for money than topping up £10 every month as I now seem to be doing. 

Its a task for when I can be arsed! Anyway, complete thread derail so I apologize to everyone for that on my part! :D

9 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

There's some very cheap SIM only contracts nowadays, if you don't include the phone itself into the contract and buy your own separately you can get unlimited calls/texts with a decent amount of data for around a tenner a month.  Up until now I've always stuck with PAYG as it worked out cheaper since I'm almost always on WiFi anyway, however with texts and calls being hiked to 10p rather than 2p/3p respectively I'm probably going to pull the trigger and go to a contract. 

I'll need to factor in a new phone as my android Nokia is beginning to expire (only about 3 years old, but that's modern technology for you :() but I still think it will work out cheaper and better value for money than topping up £10 every month as I now seem to be doing. 

Its a task for when I can be arsed! Anyway, complete thread derail so I apologize to everyone for that on my part! :D

Lebara do a package deal, you get a PAYG SIM and set it up so you put £5 a month on by DD.  For that you get unlimited texts, 100 mins of calls and 3 gig of data.  Other companies do similar but nothing quite as cheap, I think you get a few international minutes too.  I've got 3 of them running for me and the girls.

I have a feeling that I can get us both a little more off by signing up friends and using a code so drop me a PM if interested.

5 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Lebara do a package deal, you get a PAYG SIM and set it up so you put £5 a month on by DD.  For that you get unlimited texts, 100 mins of calls and 3 gig of data.  Other companies do similar but nothing quite as cheap, I think you get a few international minutes too.  I've got 3 of them running for me and the girls.

I have a feeling that I can get us both a little more off by signing up friends and using a code so drop me a PM if interested.

Thank you, I'll bear it in mind. Unfortunately Lebara are run by Vodafone who receive the worst signal in my area, it's really got to be Three, EE or a piggyback of them

14 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I've been playing around with a OnePlus Nord 5 for work the last couple of days.  Doing some InTune device management work on it to make it into a dedicated locked-down camera with some secure file storage stuff going on (Microsoft Flows for the win!) but I have to say, that for £300, I've been really impressed with it.

I don't know much about Android phones and I haven't had to 'live' with it at all but the hardware feels really good quality, the display is great and it's been very responsive.  Not sure on battery life as that's irrevelevant for its eventual use-case but if you are looking and have that kind of money to spend, I'd put it in the comparison list.

54 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I've been playing around with a OnePlus Nord 5 for work the last couple of days.  Doing some InTune device management work on it to make it into a dedicated locked-down camera with some secure file storage stuff going on (Microsoft Flows for the win!) but I have to say, that for £300, I've been really impressed with it.

I don't know much about Android phones and I haven't had to 'live' with it at all but the hardware feels really good quality, the display is great and it's been very responsive.  Not sure on battery life as that's irrevelevant for its eventual use-case but if you are looking and have that kind of money to spend, I'd put it in the comparison list.

Thank you, I'll bear it in mind. £300 isn't bad for a decent phone! :) After all it does get used every day

4 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Whilst looking up that OnePlus, I came across a new Moto release, the G82, £290 from Motorola.

I'd ought to catch up with what phones are currently going, haven't been in the market for one for years. That looks good although I wasn't previously a fan of phones with amoled screens (hopefully that's not just complete jargon to you!) - they always get screen burn and look yellowish which is why I steered away from Samsung a few years ago. 

I've had a few Motorola's, they were ok but found battery life quite poor. Though fully realize they may have improved that in recent years

Why is it that people on Gumtree and the likes feel they can phone you at any time they like? As if we're going to jump to their demands? Don't they think some people might be at work or with family and that it may be an inappropriate time to talk?

I've got a couple of items up on Gumtree at the moment and just had a sodding phone call asking how far I am from them (how the fuck am I supposed to know that?!) Then asked me if I could deliver. I asked where they were, as it turns out only 10 miles or so. 

He seemed very miffed that the earliest I could take it to him is tomorrow lunchtime.... so to begin with these people are phoning up on a Saturday at nearly 8pm then expect me to hop out in the car and take this sodding item to them at this time of evening? 

In the end he seemed fine with me taking it tomorrow, we then exchanged text messages arranging a time, then I asked his address for delivery... Radio silence. 

Utter fucking timewaster

14 minutes ago, Garythesnail said:

Has he paid already?

No, but it's generally ok in my experience.

I only ever accept cash on Gumtree, using PayPal or giving your bank details is too open to fraud. PayPal can be charged back, PayPal F+F can also be if they charge back their credit card, bank transfer can also be if they flag it as fraudulent, which is easy for organised criminals. 

Whilst it's a pain, cold hard cash can't be recalled

14 minutes ago, Garythesnail said:

Agree with that - I was more concerned* that you go out of your way (if ever you get the address) only to find he's changed his mind or wants to haggle.

I can't see why he doesn't make the small effort to come to you.

Oh for sure it's definitely a risk that my time would get wasted, and it probably will eventually inevitably, but on the times I have done it I've stressed in advance it's the agreed amount in cash only and I only set off once they acknowledge that. It's worked up until now. 

Amusingly, after 2 hours of radio silence, the fucker has just messaged me. First message is to the tune of - his girlfriend has just bought one brand-new online unbeknownst to him while he was out, then 2 minutes later another message comes through saying his partner doesn't like the colour after all so they will keep searching. 🤦

So it seems he's collectively messaged/called as many people as possible, asked for delivery, wasted their time and now is making up multiple lies and sending them around to those people as excuses without realising he's already told a different lie to me already 😂

I absolutely agree it seems logical to go to the seller and pick something up if you want to buy something from them. Not too sure why he couldn't/wouldn't just want to pick it up but tbh I'd rather just drop it round then there's no hassle if they decide they don't like it then try to say it's faulty and all that crap. 

Edit to add - he never did send the address for delivery, and went silent after I asked despite replying every few minutes beforehand. Clearly wasn't a genuine change of heart

32 minutes ago, Garythesnail said:

Agree with that - I was more concerned* that you go out of your way (if ever you get the address) only to find he's changed his mind or wants to haggle.

I can't see why he doesn't make the small effort to come to you.

Did that with a broken petrol strimmer I sold on Shpock when that app first came about. Lived about 10 mins away so I agreed to drop it off. Bloke was in his house, I could literally see him… just ignored the door.. I stood banging on his lounge window holding the shitting strimmer up at him to see it was me dropping it off, just ignored me.

Last time I agree to deliver.

2 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/sim-only-deals

I have their £6 per month deal. Works a treat.

Oh that's great, I'm currently with Three anyway who ID piggyback off. That's just what I was thinking of, thanks! Will go with that once I've used up the remaining credit I have

12 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Did that with a broken petrol strimmer I sold on Shpock when that app first came about. Lived about 10 mins away so I agreed to drop it off. Bloke was in his house, I could literally see him… just ignored the door.. I stood banging on his lounge window holding the shitting strimmer up at him to see it was me dropping it off, just ignored me.

Last time I agree to deliver.

I've had it once actually where I agreed to drop something off to someone, parked in the (public) car park, was a block of flats. Sent a message, no response, then an aggressive bloke came down asking who I was and why I was there. It was clearly him as there was no reason for anyone to bother me since I was in a public car park and not in anyone's parking space etc... Nothing lost and no time wasted as I was actually heading his way anyway, just very bizarre! 

30 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Been impressed with my g3, the g4, and the g6 i've had for over 3 years now, battery life good if you're not watching vids all day.

I think the ones I had were a first gen Moto G, (so not really a fair comparison, that must be 10 years ago now!) And about 5-6 years ago the X Play and X Style, so pretty old models regardless. I expect they have improved since then. 

I recall the X Play's battery used to die at 30% or so at no warning, which was annoying. 

Only used to get 2-2.5 hrs screen time out of them. For comparison, I currently have a Nokia 7 Plus which got about 7 hours screen time when new, but that's more like 4-4.5 hours now

I've had 2x G1, G4 play, G4 plus and currently a G5 plus and the girls have a G6 and G7, as you can tell I'm a fan.

This G5 is starting to feel old as the memory is constantly nearly full and it often needs to pop on the charger for a bit when I get home from work but it was £50 on here 2 or 3 years ago so not a bad purchase.  The G6 is lovely but switches itself off at 20% battery sometimes which drives my daughter mad.

4 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

The G6 is lovely but switches itself off at 20% battery sometimes which drives my daughter mad.

That's been a constant feature with Moto Gs. The weird thing with one of mine was that if you charged it for a couple of minutes after switching itself off it would then go up to 35-40% and not switch itself off again until it had gone down to 1%. 

On 5/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, DavidB said:

I'm the seller, the other place it was for sale was on here, it never sold here because it wasn't sub £200. Have never pulled an auction. There was a reserve which it surpassed by about £1500.

Are you insinuating we never pay more than £200?

We are trying, collectively, to give you much more than that for your Micra, but you seem to be ignoring us.

I have this after market cat from my Peugeot 107 taking up room in storage. I know full well it’s after market, it’s obvious its after market. It makes the car run like shite so it came off in exchange for a £60 genuine one I got off eBay years ago.

I’m asking for a rough price. I got given a rough one years ago of £5, so I know it’s not worth a fat lot. But even £10 is two pints of lager, so why not?

851FD3F2-BE96-4CDE-AD65-25BF16E22121.thumb.png.f40d2f9d87c56da0a1cbb94db5598867.png

Personally, the one offering £180 is smoking something that Podge has sold him. Although I’m half tempted to sell the genuine one I’ve got if it’s worth that, but I also know that down the line if the car needs a cat in the future I’m not going to have £600 to buy one!

I mean, just give a fucking answer. Where does “any idea of a rough price for this?” Invite being told “aftermarket”. What currency is that?