Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

17 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Bird in the hand or what! He wants to come now AND pay full asking price. 

I couldn't resist but send the guy a message: 

"Just to clarify, in case there was any misunderstanding earlier - I can be with you in about an hour,  and providing the van is broadly as described I will pay your asking price immediately, However you are waiting until Monday for someone to come and view it who has already bartered the price down over the phone. Just so we're both clear"

23 minutes ago, cobblers said:

"Just to clarify, in case there was any misunderstanding earlier - I can be with you in about an hour,  and providing the van is broadly as described I will pay your asking price immediately, However you are waiting until Monday for someone to come and view it who has already bartered the price down over the phone. Just so we're both clear"

Some of these people even have jobs where they make decisions daily. 

1 hour ago, mk2_craig said:

Check this out from a couple of years ago when I was trying to buy a bike for my wife off this tw@t. 

76D00EAA-84F8-478E-983A-CBCB5226241E.thumb.jpeg.6d5c726a7ebe11291be2bd897a2bd0e2.jpeg

A071914D-146C-40C9-B119-51548FC503B7.thumb.jpeg.fd2382b95e2dca1e3c047500cf7a372f.jpeg

FFS MARK MAN!!!

Years ago (when xantias were newish!) I'd arranged on a Friday night to travel from Gloucester to Bristol the next day to view the Xantia.  All correspondence was done by land line and this was long before Facebook etc. By the time I'd got to Bristol at about 10am he'd already sold it to someone who'd come across from London. I was disappointed, no hard feelings, but the guy felt so guilty he'd been unable to get hold of me he gave me £10 petrol money for my wasted trip! Luckily I had a back up in Chippenham at a garage so went and bought that one. Buying and selling these days sounds like a right ballache.

5 hours ago, cobblers said:

Against all odds, I've just managed to buy it, and he was a proper sound bloke. What a strange ending!

8 hours ago, cobblers said:

Its one extreme to another with that sort of situation, its equally common for the seller to say its available. give their address to 10+ people at the same time, and the first to get there secures it, meanwhile 9 others have wasted their time and journey for no reason and they'll either get ignored or told "sorry sold m8"

I'm all for first come first serve, but at least hold it for someone for the duration of their journey once you know they're on their way!

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

Against all odds, I've just managed to buy it, and he was a proper sound bloke. What a strange ending!

I think it was that last message. 

He probably showed it to his wife, who said "Stop being a dick" 

12 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I'm all for first come first serve, but at least hold it for someone for the duration of their journey once you know they're on their way!

I got shafted by a seller when travelling to Glasgow to look at a Ka, I just arrived in Glasgow after driving over 30 miles and the seller called me and told me they had just sold it. Looking back this is was a good thing as the 206 we got instead was a much better car. But at the time it was very annoying especially when we had arranged an actual time to come through with the seller. 

18 minutes ago, rainagain said:

I got shafted by a seller when travelling to Glasgow to look at a Ka, I just arrived in Glasgow after driving over 30 miles and the seller called me and told me they had just sold it. Looking back this is was a good thing as the 206 we got instead was a much better car. But at the time it was very annoying especially when we had arranged an actual time to come through with the seller. 

Fortunately never had this happen to me as I've always ended up buying cars from reasonable sellers!

9 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

As a seller its first with the cash. Rude not to mention to someone who is travelling that there are other people coming though.

As a buyer you know that you are serious, but the seller can't know that.

That works fine when arranging who comes, but it's wrong to arrange for multiple people to come at the same time as you only have one car to sell. 

Its not really right to lead people on and waste their time. 

All I'm saying is it's fine to not hold it for someone before they're coming, but as soon as someone is on their way, don't arrange for others to come also as it wastes lots of people's time and travel costs

You're right of course, but if you were trying to sell a £500 shitter to the general public and your phone number was an autotrader, you would probably get 12 calls a day from people who were "definitely coming now" of which 1 might turn up. 

I'm not saying it's alright but I can see a situation where you would just say yes to everybody and not be able to keep track of all the other people who were definitely* coming

11 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

You're right of course, but if you were trying to sell a £500 shitter to the general public and your phone number was an autotrader, you would probably get 12 calls a day from people who were "definitely coming now" of which 1 might turn up. 

I'm not saying it's alright but I can see a situation where you would just say yes to everybody and not be able to keep track of all the other people who were definitely* coming

Nothing attracts people that piss ball about like cheap cars. 

The most hassle I ever had selling a car was a £50 Fiesta.

I punted it out cheap in the Friday Ad as it had failed its MOT dismally and I just needed shot of it quick-smart.

Even at that price, the fucknugget who eventually rocked up (three hours after he said he would) proceeded to go over it like he was a judge at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elégance, before offering me £40.

The phone didn't stop ringing for about two weeks. Never again.

52 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

The most hassle I ever had selling a car was a £50 Fiesta.

I punted it out cheap in the Friday Ad as it had failed its MOT dismally and I just needed shot of it quick-smart.

Even at that price, the fucknugget who eventually rocked up (three hours after he said he would) proceeded to go over it like he was a judge at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elégance, before offering me £40.

The phone didn't stop ringing for about two weeks. Never again.

I’d imagine your advice, like mine, would be to phone the breakers on the next occasion. 

This was back in 2003 when scrap prices were on their arse and you had to pay a yard to take a scrap car - and I couldn't afford to do that.

I'd thought that a MK2 Fiesta Ghia with a mint interior and decent panels might be of interest to someone, even if only as a source of parts or as a basis for a grasstrack racer.

I'd also hoped it would be priced attractively enough for someone to just turn up quickly and hand me a few grubby notes before fucking off, without needing to ask many questions.

But even the phonecalls were demanding a level of intricate detail and guarantees about mechanical soundness which I really couldn't give... much more so than with other, better cars I've tried to sell.

But yeah, these days scrap prices are such that there's no benefit whatsoever in trying to sell an end-of-life car to the general public.

3 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Yes I see where you're coming from, I guess the trick is to price it keenly enough to get only a few phonecalls from people who are probably genuinely interested and would like to make a reasonable offer of what they'd like to pay which is usually acceptable. 

Whenever I sell a car I add on about 20% of what I really want so that the higher price scares off the timewasters and before long someone will come along with an offer I was happy to advertise it for anyway. 

I've sold a few that way and it worked quite well, all the buyers were polite, punctual and didn't try to barter down any further after agreeing a price already

Granted the last time I sold a car was about 3 years ago, so before the OMGUSEDCARPRICESDUETOCOVID19 chaos, I've only been buying since then! 

The worst thing you can do is underprice a car thinking it'll get you a quick sale. Folk will either ignore it thinking it's fucked or think you are desperate and try and lowball you.

I always do a gumtree search in a 100 mile radius for similar cars and use that as a guide before advertising something and I'll make sure my car stacks up against whatever is for sale at the time. 

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Whenever I sell a car I add on about 20% of what I really want so that the higher price scares off the timewasters and before long someone will come along with an offer I was happy to advertise it for anyway. 

Didn't you get loads of messages from numbskulls telling you that "it is overpriced so you won't sell it"?

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Didn't you get loads of messages from numbskulls telling you that "it is overpriced so you won't sell it"?

Actually I didn't! 

But it wasn't Facebook, it was Gumtree with the email option disabled so that left them the only options of spouting such nonsense was to send me a text message or phoning me 

To be honest, at the end of the market I was selling in, a 20% markup is hardly anything. 

E.g one of them was a Micra, I wanted scrap money + £100 for the remaining 6 months test which I calculated to be around £350 at the time. I advertised it for £450 and a very sensible buyer came along to view it and tried their luck at £400 which I accepted. He thought he got a great deal and I ended up with £50 more than I wanted so that was a win!

Another was my old Rover 45, I wanted £500 + £50 for the replacement alternator I had just put in it, put it on for £650 and the first person to see it brought a friend with them, looked around it for about 5 mins and offered £600. I accepted as I only wanted £550 in my head (which is actually what I had paid for it 2 years prior) and got £50 more than I wanted. Once again, the chap must have been happy being able to get it for £50 less so everyone was happy. 

Had I put them up for the price I wanted, they would have been even cheaper, rang the phone off the hook with interest and I'd still have the 200£ 2nite m8 crew to deal with. 

I just find overpricing it slightly helps filter out the pondlife.

If it doesn't sell - reduce the price, nothing lost by doing that

2 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

"Ha, my mate Darren's pigeon's cousin bought one of those for 12 centimes down the local flea market"

It's almost like them saying "there's one 300 miles away for £50 less will you match it ???"

"No - you could buy their one if you think you're getting a better deal"

"But you're more local to me and I like your one more"

Pay the extra fucking £50 then!

Equally as irrelevant as things like "have the advisories from the MOT in 2013 been done?"

It does my head in but as mentioned above with my 20% extra strategy it seems to filter a lot of it out

When I arranged to look at this Cortina someone else turned up to look at it 5 minutes after I arrived.

They had travelled a similar distance and had come prepared with a trailer.

The seller had hoped we would start a bidding war but the guy with the trailer went ballistic at the seller and I was left standing in the middle. I was prepared to walk away, the car was advertised at reasonable amount but trailer guy had already agreed a lower price and was fuming so much that he eventually told the seller to go fuck himself and left.

I offered the price that the other guy had agreed with the seller then offered to pay by bank transfer and was told that he didn't do online banking.

2022-04-14_06-30-35.thumb.jpg.98c6c0a034c724cff0ccb09758405237.jpg

I think maybe he was in a bit of debt and didn't want the money going straight into the bank but ended up paying half through PayPal and half by bank.

Car was a pile of shit anyway.

12 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

From the boy who offered £2k last week when it was advertised for £2500.

Screenshot_20220415-184919-178.thumb.png.66c13117820f8d2d096cc05873583fa9.pngScreenshot_20220415-184939-691.thumb.png.8bdb237a8e074829a38677a5408dbbae.png

now it's advertised for £2k it's only worth his very generous offer of £500 less than the asking price.

Just fuck off.

I'd bet my bottom dollar "Lewis" would be selling it next week for £2500 as he only bought it recently and an unexpected bill came up/wife said no/neighbour says it's too loud/it upset the dog (delete as appropriate) so it needs to go 🤦

Just now, RoverFolkUs said:

..and it really boils my piss when they try to make an offer without stringing a coherent sentence together.

"1500"

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean?! it's not a question and it's not a statement either!

Maybe he is offering 1500 magic beans, or 1500 toilet rolls or something