Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

15 hours ago, Jikovron said:

Yeah that would have worked, so far I'm 50 messages in and almost all off them are crying about it being a pre cat car.

At least they're trying to buy a car for the cat. 

Most of them just rock up outside your Honda CR-V and help themselves to it. 

34 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

As a vehicle yes, as a prospect for chopping the cats off to weigh in, no.

As a side note on the subject of cats on "end of life" vehicles, I've noticed that CTB are offering derisory amounts for Hondas now, possibly because they've realized the OEM cats have either been previously nicked and replaced with a worthless aftermarket one or removed outright 

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

As a vehicle yes, as a prospect for chopping the cats off to weigh in, no.

Thanks.  It's still somewhere around 1994 in my head, so remain under the impression that cats of the non-feline sort are nasty things to whip off and bin in favour of a straight piece of pipe.  

43 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

Thanks.  It's still somewhere around 1994 in my head, so remain under the impression that cats of the non-feline sort are nasty things to whip off and bin in favour of a straight piece of pipe.  

Feline type cats can also end up in bins...

image.png.e8efb024a61f6a7263a9a548e1ee9209.png

Not your local go-faster garage.

52 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

It is still kinda like that but instead of putting them in the bin you take them to your friendly metal recycler and trouser about £200 per cat.

For bonus points try to re-sell the car with the bodged in straight pipe for the same amount you just paid for it using your most honest face and most MOT-compliant EML tape.

35 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

It is still kinda like that but instead of putting them in the bin you take them to your friendly metal recycler and trouser about £200 per cat.

For bonus points try to re-sell the car with the bodged in straight pipe for the same amount you just paid for it using your most honest face and most MOT-compliant EML tape.

For double bonus points advertise the car you've chopped the cat off, whilst still on the back of your transit recovery truck, with a vague"Exhaust blowing" comment in the shit for sale ad. 

The cats off my old S4 went for not far short of a grand so I see why folk would do this to be fair. Still annoys me when a car is effectively scrap because of a missing cat. 

On 4/6/2022 at 11:43 AM, Spurious said:

I had about 5-6 guys message me asking if the cat was still on the now @2MB Primera when selling it. Usually followed with a message of 300 tonight. Or some other cheeky figure. 

The cat buying demographic wouldn't be the most respectable individuals.

That is number 1 on the list of why I don’t sell shite on Facebook marketplace, scumtree, any of the others anymore. Give out address to potential keen buyer who doesn’t show up, has no further intentions, then spend the next 48 hours worried it’s getting robbed/going to get torched/sleeping with a shotgun at the end of the bed. So glad I don’t do it anymore. 

7 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Give out address to potential keen buyer who doesn’t show up, has no further intentions, then spend the next 48 hours worried it’s getting robbed/going to get torched/sleeping with a shotgun at the end of the bed. 

I give out first half of the postcode, and say "Text me, as you are about to leave, and I'll text you back the full address" and if they text me, I text back with the full postcode but not the house number with "phone me when you arrive, and I'll come out and wave you to the right house" 

27 minutes ago, New POD said:

I give out first half of the postcode, and say "Text me, as you are about to leave, and I'll text you back the full address" and if they text me, I text back with the full postcode but not the house number with "phone me when you arrive, and I'll come out and wave you to the right house" 

Yes done that a few times in the past. It does scavenge out the pond scum somewhat. Just gave up entirely, too much like hard work for some people. 

I know our mothers taught us not to judge a book by it's cover but the one advantage of marketplace is that you can at least have a quick snoop on their profile beforehand to get a feel if its worthwhile taking their enquiries any further. Getting a full name and photo is even better. Jackpot if they leave their mobile number to Google. 😂

Poundland Magnum Pi. 

When I looked at selling the 1100 last year one of the guys wanting to come see it was convicted of possessing something silly like £200k of heroin and had other previous convictions for assault. Maybe he was a lovely guy when he wasn't flogging smack, but was I fuck giving him my home address. 

11 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

That is number 1 on the list of why I don’t sell shite on Facebook marketplace, scumtree, any of the others anymore. Give out address to potential keen buyer who doesn’t show up, has no further intentions, then spend the next 48 hours worried it’s getting robbed/going to get torched/sleeping with a shotgun at the end of the bed. So glad I don’t do it anymore. 

Depends what you are selling, if it’s a 2018 Range Rover 100% you are right. If it’s a £10 roof rack then it would suggest you weren’t worth robbing. 🤣

29 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Depends what you are selling, if it’s a 2018 Range Rover 100% you are right. If it’s a £10 roof rack then it would suggest you weren’t worth robbing. 🤣

Yeah sorry I meant cars below £1500 generally. Never sold anything more expensive like a 2018 Range Rover. When I sold 3 cars off my fleet, the Mercury went on here, the Carlton went to another Carlton lover, and the discovery went to a work colleague. All smooth and stress free sales. If it can’t be sold on here or by word of mouth, it gets traded in or bridged. 

One I've just had while trying to buy a newish van from a fairly local private seller:

"I'm sorry, you can't come and view it right now because there's someone coming on Monday who sounds very serious about buying it". 

Are these people for real? I explained I was sat in the car with a bag of cash ready to set off over to him. I'd be there in under an hour!

"No sorry he seems quite serious"

Just now, cobblers said:

One I've just had while trying to buy a newish van from a fairly local private seller:

"I'm sorry, you can't come and view it right now because there's someone coming on Monday who sounds very serious about buying it". 

Are these people for real? I explained I was sat in the car with a bag of cash ready to set off over to him. I'd be there in under an hour!

"No sorry he seems quite serious"

I’ve had that before. These people cannot have ever sold a car in their life, the score is whoever turns up with the money gets it. It’s not a fucking audition to emigrate to Australia.

48 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I just don't get it, it absolutely boggles my mind that he'd turn that down.

I get it - how does he know you are serious? Maybe the guy coming on Monday sounds more serious on the phone or via chat? Were you offering asking price? Complete strangers who haggle before they turn up to view are always low in my list to respond to.

I had this recently when selling my Mini on Facebook - the first genuinely interested guy (asked questions about the car, no mention of money or attempting to haggle before coming) couldn't come until the Friday after I'd listed on the Thursday. I had two people say "But I could come tonight" so I said OK, and neither of them turned up. Sold it to guy who couldn't come until the Friday. 

Only a single example I know but just playing devil's advocate.