Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

That really fucks me off. If I saw a car for sale in Glasgow I wouldn’t expect a discount, that’s my choice to travel. I don’t know if this is correct but it seems to me a cultural habit in some places the whole ‘best price’ bollocks and the idea you’ll get whatever it is for 50% of the price. 

I went to pick a sofa up a while back with a relative, he said he’d given them the ‘best price’ bollocks on the phone before. I just told him it was fucking embarrassing and not to ask stupid questions like ‘what’s the lowest price’ just make a fair offer. 

Is it something that's been caught from watching daytime Bargainshite TV? Simpletons in garish fleeces wander around a muddy field or drafty shed like freshly castrated cattle, a TV crew trails behind and they ask bored traders "What's your best price?" on whatever tat has caught their eye, trader knocks off a bit from the eyebleeding mark-up so it's just a rip-off as opposed to daylight robbery, then they take it to auction where it sells for 20% of what they paid, probably back to the same trader.

I have to admit, the ones where people explain in great detail why your £500 car isn't worth £500 (all of which of course, is made up of 'facts' they've gleaned from their mate's uncle and whatever absolute rubbish fills their head) can be quite funny.

Once they've strung tales of potential woe/impending doom and offered you 80% less, if you just put 'ok' it sometimes leads them to think you're going to let them have it for that. Once they start giving it all the 'I'll come down tomorrow with the cash' you just say you simply meant 'ok' as in it clearly isn't the vehicle for them if they're so concerned about potential problems. It's quite funny when they get upset about it.

Incidentally I always see it as the absolute best result possible when they've spent ages trying to chip you down, you refuse to budge on the price and they say 'I didn't want it anyway, it's fucking shit go and scrap it' etc. Never ever fails to make me laugh that one.

When I posted up on a couple of Vauxhall pages about getting a Cavalier I got several messages, as expected, asking if the Corsa was for sale, how much and so on. 

If it was for sale, I 1000% would not entertain any of them even for a second.  All out to get something for nothing. It would be redtopped in a month and broken for spares 6 months after that.

What they are really after are the wheels though, which, regardless of what I sell to take me back down to 4 cars, will be staying with me or at best sold separately, for actual money to someone who isnt a potless twat.

I've just been through this lot again yesterday!

We sold Mrs Knott's Citroen C1 to make room for the roffle win Golf GTi, I purposely under priced it slightly for a quick sale (It worked) That didn't stop about 5 or 6 chancers messaging in the space of 90 minutes asking if I was "Open to offers" or would accept less. For the record, I don't mind people making an offer, but for heaven's sake come and actually look at the car first! It gave me a certain amount of pleasure to message each of them back to say it had sold, at full asking price, within an hour of the advert going up!

To give a bit of balance to this thread, I once had a nice message when selling a 15 year old Alfa, from the first owner!

alfa.jpg.94bd99d9b95411fe8ff66f96b8fd6e9a.jpg

It was a 75 which I sold in 2005, and the in-laws had owned it from 1991 to  2002, before passing to me.  I'd written a detailed advert which mentioned the only two problems with the car; the carpet going 'bald' underneath the driver's floor mat, and a faded rear quarter where it had obviously had paint in the past. It turned out that the carpet damage was from some lubricant spill during the first service, and the paintwork was from when it had been run into in a petrol station at 6 months old! Good to hear the back story after so long.

8 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

To give a bit of balance to this thread, I once had a nice message when selling a 15 year old Alfa, from the first owner!

alfa.jpg.94bd99d9b95411fe8ff66f96b8fd6e9a.jpg

It was a 75 which I sold in 2005, and the in-laws had owned it from 1991 to  2002, before passing to me.  I'd written a detailed advert which mentioned the only two problems with the car; the carpet going 'bald' underneath the driver's floor mat, and a faded rear quarter where it had obviously had paint in the past. It turned out that the carpet damage was from some lubricant spill during the first service, and the paintwork was from when it had been run into in a petrol station at 6 months old! Good to hear the back story after so long.

I hope it survives, really like those 75’s, a proper Italian Car, all the switches in odd places and a rorty engine. 

Sadly it lasted a month after selling it, so I can only assume the new owner crashed it, or was crashed into :-( It was probably the nicest car I've owned - the V6 engine was an absolute peach and with a sports exhaust sounded glorious! But electric window switches in the roof?!

It always made me laugh that not only was there a warning light to tell you the warning lights weren't working correctly, there was an actual button to cancel the big flashing main warning light (for when the spurious warnings became too much!)

Sold a project car on an eBay auction, buyer pays £200 deposit with little to no communication and then silence for about a week. In the end I send him a message asking what the plan is. 

'Does it drive?'

'It runs, but it's out of MOT and it's been off the road for a couple of years.'

'Would it get me to London?' 

'I wouldn't have thought so, you'll need to trailer it.'

'Ah, okay, I thought it drove.'

I go onto explain that all the info was in the advert, he was free to look up the MOT history etc. Another long silence. By this point, the car not being picked up has piqued a mates interest and he's got cash on the hip and just so happens to own the unit where said vehicle is stored, so no need for messing around transporting it etc. Nonetheless, I decide to give the buyer one last chance. Again, I enquire what the plan is. 

'I'm going to look into getting it trailered.'

'That's fine, but it's been [however many weeks by this point] and I've got a mate who's asking about buying it.'

'Does he want it?'

'Well, yeah.'

'Oh well, he can have it then. Don't worry about the deposit.'

Never heard from him again. Car remains where it was to this day. 

When I sold our MK1 Pajero last year I had many many messages offering about 3p. I had a long and elaborate message from a man who described in detail the logistics of how he was going to collect it. The point of his story was he wanted to knock the petrol money off the price.

By the time I got to the end I was so emotionally invested in this mission I was nearly tempted to agree!

Several pictures of a motorbike with no engine in it and other pictures of the engine in quite a few pieces on the same advert.

'Does it run?' from more than one person. One of them was told if he comes up and rides it away he can have it for £50. Never heard from them again.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, sierraman said:

That really fucks me off. If I saw a car for sale in Glasgow I wouldn’t expect a discount, that’s my choice to travel. 

Totally agree with this. I always tell anyone who tries it on that their travel costs are not deductible from the asking price. You don't go to the supermarket and then expect a discount when you get to the till based on your postcode.

On 06/03/2021 at 09:58, sierraman said:

I’ll be honest I think going to someone and expecting a discount because a relative has died (supposedly) is absolutely fucking shameful. I’d  be surprised if he isn’t lying his tits off, you can’t underestimate how low people will go these days. 

Two things spring to mind. 

1) Can i see the death certificate? 

2) Are you included in will? 

Followed by. 

In the unlikely event that 1) is yes and 2) is no, then I'm happy to knock £5 per fault if I have failed to describe the fault in the advert.  I'm happy to give a Cavcraft warranty. (End of the road or 3 mins, which ever is shorter) and delivery will be £2.50 per mile cash in advance. 

On 3/6/2021 at 1:14 PM, Split_Pin said:

When I posted up on a couple of Vauxhall pages about getting a Cavalier I got several messages, as expected, asking if the Corsa was for sale, how much and so on. 

If it was for sale, I 1000% would not entertain any of them even for a second.  All out to get something for nothing. It would be redtopped in a month and broken for spares 6 months after that.

What they are really after are the wheels though, which, regardless of what I sell to take me back down to 4 cars, will be staying with me or at best sold separately, for actual money to someone who isnt a potless twat.

HoW mUcH 4 dA wHeLz MaYtE? 

On 3/6/2021 at 1:14 PM, Split_Pin said:

.... I 1000% would not entertain any of them even for a second.  All out to get something for nothing....

This is something that the internet has a lot to answer for,  because it has frequently driven the something-for-nothing culture. That's partly why "influencers" exist....

I've lost the screenshot, but when selling my old Corsa B, I had this exchange with a potential buyer. 

Young yobbo: Best price mate? 

Me: Can't really let it go for less than £250,sorry. 

Young yobbo: What's the fuel like? 

Me: Sort of golden and smelly. 

Funnily enough, he still bought it - he looked about 12 years old, but then that is probably cos I'm old. 

I had a nice one where someone sent a message and offered a 3rd of the asking price. I told him that I can get the same amount he offered from a scrap yard, to which he replied asking which scrap yard he could expect to see my car in. At that point I simply laughed and told him his comeback was excellent which made him happy as well. He didnt buy the car but at least it was one of the very few conversations that didnt end in frustration.

The way I got around this when selling the Saab 900, was putting a higher price on the advert.  I wanted £300 for it IIRC, so I put it up for £400. 

Young lad came round for it, gave him an honest appraisal, showed him a timestamped video of it running earlier that day, then he offered me £350.  I agreed to split the difference, plus I had kept the wheel trims to one side, and sold them for about £70 IIRC.  

Don't think it saw the road again, sadly.

I got all sorts of shite offered to me when I was selling the 1st Prelude.  Luckily I managed to get way, WAY over what it was worth on px for the Lexus. 

I was idly looking at local cars on the Gumtree app on my phone for no good reason a while back. Saw a Merc W201 and while checking out the photos managed to accidentally tap the automatic "Hi, is this still available?" message button. Seller responded quite quickly and I had to explain sheepishly that I wasn't actually interested in buying his car...😳

9 hours ago, Alusilber said:

I was idly looking at local cars on the Gumtree app on my phone for no good reason a while back. Saw a Merc W201 and while checking out the photos managed to accidentally tap the automatic "Hi, is this still available?" message button. Seller responded quite quickly and I had to explain sheepishly that I wasn't actually interested in buying his car...😳

I did that with a house in Wales after looking at the shitemove thread. 

After selli g a car stereo back in the day, the boy haggled, searched internet, called at least three folks, then an offer was made for it as it was not seen working just over half aski g price i said no and walked away, then  the prospective purchaser asked if i could fit it. No problems i said as i was in that business anyways. (think he was calling my bluff)

So purchaser calls someone for some more cash to be dropped off to buy the stereo. ( who ac5ually goes to buy something with lack of funds...)

Eventually the deal is done. He hands over the cash in coins, i hand over the stereo and associated wires, no problems. (Alittlemmiffed and heavier with the loose change) Then i said so what car is it going in... 

He said it was going in his nissan primera that was en route... waited an hour for it to arrive, then went inside the house amazed at the brass neck of the boy.

Two weeks later i heard from him again. Saying that i was  a crook as i never fitted the stereo.

Lost the plot by then and needless to say i never fitted it....

Still got a jar of 5p,10p,20p,50p coins somewhere..

• 4 weeks later...