Most stupid message while flogging a shiter

Alan Prost

I personally think German should move with the times and make all nouns gender fluid.Ā  Then people could use whatever definite (or indeed indefinite) article they pleased, which would make things a lot easier for those trying to learn the language.

Still wouldn't help with the Facebook Marktplatz morons though I suppose.

14 hours ago, captain_70s said:

I like the way the art of haggling has bottomed out at simply asking "wuts ur last price" straight out of the gate. Dribblers.

Also, what even the fuck is a "last price"?

Itā€™s a really common Arab haggling technique. Walk into a shop in the souq, ask for last price and the (ridiculous marked) price will usually drop about 30%. And only then does the teeth sucking and negotiation start. ā€œOh my boss will kill meā€ etc.Ā 
Ā 

ā€œLast priceā€ when selling a car is a fucking nightmare for this reason. Whenever I sell a car i always write ā€œLast price is what it says in the ad so donā€™t ask.Ā I might negotiate slightly with serious buyers after youā€™ve been and lookedĀ at itā€ but even then you get the chancers who will turn up and without even looking at it ask what your last price is. Thereā€™s a lot who really do expect 50% off the asking price.Ā 

Anyone had the buyers who are on a ship at sea and want to buy the car for their son/daughter/friend/whatever?Ā  It is some sort of scam but although I have had two of the enquiries, I've never got far enough to see how the scam works.Ā  I did send one a load of photographs, I was very suspicious but nothing to lose by sending pictures.Ā  Second time, I just dismissed it.Ā  How many people on ships at sea want to buy cars unseen?Ā  But someone must fall for this, or it wouldn't be worth their while.Ā 

Just now, lisbon_road said:

Anyone had the buyers who are on a ship at sea and want to buy the car for their son/daughter/friend/whatever?Ā  It is some sort of scam but although I have had two of the enquiries, I've never got far enough to see how the scam works.Ā  I did send one a load of photographs, I was very suspicious but nothing to lose by sending pictures.Ā  Second time, I just dismissed it.Ā  How many people on ships at sea want to buy cars unseen?Ā  But someone must fall for this, or it wouldn't be worth their while.Ā 

I think they'd send you a fake Paypal message saying you had funds in your account, then some 9ft square bloke would turn up in a 20 year old rusty Transit beavertail and take your car away.

19 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

@DodgyBastardĀ did you get that clueless fucking simpleton from down the south of EnglandĀ after your Lada? I can't remember his name, but he seemed to be pestering anybody selling one with his amazing* knowledge of the values etc. Absolute turnip who basically had a budget of about 15p and wanted delivery, the moon on aĀ stick and diamond encrusted unicorn.Ā 

I heard his budget was 3p plus a Mars Bar šŸ˜‚

I have also done this.Ā 

In fact I saw my Cortina on ebayĀ in about 2002 when comms were much more rickety offshore.Ā  The auction ended during an extended period with no internet and i sent a rambling email to the seller about how i could pick it up in a week or two.Ā  Must have come across as genuine as we managed a deal in the end.

2 hours ago, cort1977 said:

I have also done this.Ā 

In fact I saw my Cortina on ebayĀ in about 2002 when comms were much more rickety offshore.Ā  The auction ended during an extended period with no internet and i sent a rambling email to the seller about how i could pick it up in a week or two.Ā  Must have come across as genuine as we managed a deal in the end.

Ditto, although only twice as my shiting tendencies are glacial by AS standards. Sniping with gixen takes away the risk of auction fever and the ever-presentĀ risk of the goon on the bridge deciding to turn the ship and confuse the hamsters in the VSAT dome.

• 3 weeks later...

/\

When someone says they've just realised your miles away, it's a hint that they want you to deliver for about 8p, or take 1/20th of the asking price. The other old favourite is 'I'm interested but will have to sell my (car/van/motorbike/moped/horse/house/kid/heroin/telly) first as they are hinting at you offering a deal with it.

Ā 

Ā 

anyone else noticed the sudden amount of 'small dealers' that advertise on FB and the such, but will Only deliver "due to covid" but get all shy when you ask actual questions about their vehicles..they stick 5 pics up, none of the interior or engine and expect you to throw Ā£1499 down based on that...also most cars are pictured Wet...Hmmm wonder why that is!!

Or the "Previous owner has misplaced the logbook" even though the car has Copart writing all over the screen!!!!

9 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

anyone else noticed the sudden amount of 'small dealers' that advertise on FB and the such, but will Only deliver "due to covid" but get all shy when you ask actual questions about their vehicles..they stick 5 pics up, none of the interior or engine and expect you to throw Ā£1499 down based on that...also most cars are pictured Wet...Hmmm wonder why that is!!

Or the "Previous owner has misplaced the logbook" even though the car has Copart writing all over the screen!!!!

LOLZ - Neighbour bought a Focus hatchback on that basis. Windscreen chalked up with co part stock number etc on it.

I don't know. Messages are well written, articulate and quite specific about what he wants and why, maybe I'm a fool but it sounds legit to me. Have you checked how much it would cost you to get the car to him?
The event he is entering costs over Ā£3k to participate and he wants to haggle over a couple of hundred quid.
I couldn't give a flying fuck about his sob story.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I don't know. Messages are well written, articulate and quite specific about what he wants and why, maybe I'm a fool but it sounds legit to me. Have you checked how much it would cost you to get the car to him?

An extended fairy story about how he's going to do a lot of work for charity? It's panhandling, just short of asking for the car for free.

On 12/02/2021 at 05:37, Rod/b said:

Itā€™s a really common Arab haggling technique. Walk into a shop in the souq, ask for last price and the (ridiculous marked) price will usually drop about 30%. And only then does the teeth sucking and negotiation start. ā€œOh my boss will kill meā€ etc.Ā 
Ā 

ā€œLast priceā€ when selling a car is a fucking nightmare for this reason. Whenever I sell a car i always write ā€œLast price is what it says in the ad so donā€™t ask.Ā I might negotiate slightly with serious buyers after youā€™ve been and lookedĀ at itā€ but even then you get the chancers who will turn up and without even looking at it ask what your last price is. Thereā€™s a lot who really do expect 50% off the asking price.Ā 

I've previously said or typed, "If you find any faults that I haven't put in the advert, I'll knock Ā£10 a fault off"Ā 

6 hours ago, DodgyBastard said:

The event he is entering costs over Ā£3k to participate and he wants to haggle over a couple of hundred quid.
I couldn't give a flying fuck about his sob story.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk
Ā 

Itā€™s also not for another 9 months so heā€™s got plenty of fucking time to save up for delivery or to come and get it (if you havenā€™t made a video of youĀ feedingĀ it it into a metal shredder to send to him before then)

I've been clearing out crap from the workshop as its become abit too much, the recipe for buyer engagement always seems to follow an enquiry to its availability with silence, most of these are coming in at early hours of the morning for things like kart wheels, mower engines etc.

I've also shot myself in the foot with a small engine and clutch, a chap from the lake district came on wanting it but he's planning on getting it when lockdown ends, at the time I didn't give a shit whilst in hospital as his enthusiasm was positivity that I appreciated however now I'm back home I'm thinking that it's going to hang around for potentially 6months or more, I did think toĀ see if he wants it posting but that's inviting a host of labour I want to avoid so I'll file it away for however long.

Ā 

Iā€™ll be honest I think going to someone and expecting a discount because a relative has died (supposedly) is absolutely fucking shameful. Iā€™d Ā be surprised if he isnā€™t lying his tits off, you canā€™t underestimate how low people will go these days.Ā 

Iā€™ve had aĀ load recently when Iā€™ve been selling a Rotavator of all things. I donā€™t know why but itā€™s caused all sorts of dicks to come out of the woodwork. I had this one the other day (a new Rotavator like this one is actually Ā£250 minimum)

008EFD47-41D1-465F-9CDF-326CB4CF667A.png

8 minutes ago, colc said:

On here, just now, .... ā€œIā€™m not going to buy your Rover because it shows

up on a ten year old HPI check....ā€

From a lurker on here

If for Ā£500 thereā€™s no free pissflaps, 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, a Christmas Card, 5 years free servicing and a bunch of flowers on the back seat for the wife then Iā€™m out.Ā 

Actually elaborate reasons why a lower price should be accepted are a good one. The only one Iā€™ve had on gumtree is the commonly deployed distance card-

Im coming from X so will you acccept Y

Im sure there are much more short story worthy corkers out there