Oh dear its happened again! Jaguar S Type

cpjitservices

3.0 is no worse on fuel than the 2.5 but has quite a lot more performance, the S is a heavy car.

I'd go 4.2 over the rest, less high maintenance than the R or 2.7d, same MPG on a run as the 3.0, but a bit worse round town, and a lot more easy going, doesn't kick down all the time when asked to get a move on.

21 hours ago, Cento16v said:

3.0 is no worse on fuel than the 2.5 but has quite a lot more performance, the S is a heavy car.

I'd go 4.2 over the rest, less high maintenance than the R or 2.7d, same MPG on a run as the 3.0, but a bit worse round town, and a lot more easy going, doesn't kick down all the time when asked to get a move on.

Absolutely! Spot on!

I was impressed with the 3.0 I had (which now resides with Mr. Hotson of this parish) - low to mid 30s on a run depending how it was driven, plenty of go and a nice sound - but you did need to rev it to make it give its best so I imagine a V8 would indeed be better for wafting.  They're quite a bit more expensive to buy though.

I still want an S Type R one day.  The chap who I bought my Mitsubishi Delica off back in the day picked me up in his and ran me up the M40 and it absolutely fucking flew, and that was a bog standard one.

I had a 3.0 V6 manual S-type in British racing green for a short stint. It was a non-rusty car and quite nice to drive, reaching nearly 35 MPG on a careful cruise. The V6 is a very good engine all things considered, but I would argue for going with a base spec XJ6 X350 over the S-type at this stage. It will have it's own set of problems to look out for, but buy one carefully now and you will get better value for money. I would love to try and S-type R, but they are getting a little more expensive (still achievable though). I've driven 4.0 V8 S-type and that was actually quite good. It kind of shrinks round you to feel a bit like a pocket rocket. It had enough get up and go to feel a little special.

Only thing I'd say is both a 3.0 manual or a 4.0 V8 will both be pre facelift.

The post face lift, and especially the post 2nd facelift cars are vastly superior, in both reliability, interior quality and in how they drive.

If you have any chance or option, definitely go at least post 2002.5 MY.

X350 XJ's aren't far off the same money to buy, and don't rust for obvious reasons, but they do corrode! And the suspension, although mainly reliable, can throw big bills.

17 hours ago, Cento16v said:

Only thing I'd say is both a 3.0 manual or a 4.0 V8 will both be pre facelift.

The post face lift, and especially the post 2nd facelift cars are vastly superior, in both reliability, interior quality and in how they drive.

If you have any chance or option, definitely go at least post 2002.5 MY.

X350 XJ's aren't far off the same money to buy, and don't rust for obvious reasons, but they do corrode! And the suspension, although mainly reliable, can throw big bills.

Definately agree, my first S type was 2001, and althogh the interior was nice... I had my Blue Facelift one at the same time and the difference was remarkable... the facelift interior is definately a lot nicer and a lot more odern than the pre facelift. The only thing I dont like about it is the electronic handbrake.... I'd rather still have an atual Lever, rather than a button which all of the early years S types had (pre-facelift). 

It's the little things such as the feel of the steering wheels is much, much nicer in the Facelift! 

Update.

Car is driving like its brand new, lovely now that I can feel the benefits of its previous owners remap. 263 BHP and 518NM of torque! (Paperwork to prove) Not bad which I think you'll agree!

Brakes are no longer dragging due to the new caliper.... Brakes still feel wooden and it seems the brake pedal is 'sticking' as its returning to its resting position - Now and again have to lift it slightly - its enough to slightly hold the brake on and the brake lights are on as well. Lift the pedal to its rest and all is well... Pedal is not quiet either so I think its probably needing lubrication on its gubbins! Mind, it does this now and again so not happening all of the time. 

The next job once the postie has been, is to upgrade/modernise the head unit! I have ordered A Pioneer double-DIN (Android based) unit with facia and interface to keep the steering wheel controls. 

49 minutes ago, cpjitservices said:

Update.

Car is driving like its brand new, lovely now that I can feel the benefits of its previous owners remap. 263 BHP and 518NM of torque! (Paperwork to prove) Not bad which I think you'll agree!

Brakes are no longer dragging due to the new caliper.... Brakes still feel wooden and it seems the brake pedal is 'sticking' as its returning to its resting position - Now and again have to lift it slightly - its enough to slightly hold the brake on and the brake lights are on as well. Lift the pedal to its rest and all is well... Pedal is not quiet either so I think its probably needing lubrication on its gubbins! Mind, it does this now and again so not happening all of the time. 

The next job once the postie has been, is to upgrade/modernise the head unit! I have ordered A Pioneer double-DIN (Android based) unit with facia and interface to keep the steering wheel controls. 

The brakes pedal on mine makes a creaking noise, which I've not got around to looking at.

How will the stereo work with the display screen?

Also, do you know where the remap was carried out as that sounds interesting... 😀

Just now, stripped fred said:

The brakes pedal on mine makes a creaking noise, which I've not got around to looking at.

How will the stereo work with the display screen?

Yeah mines creeking a bit and clicks as it gets to the top.. most annoying!

You only lose the bottom half of the main panel so the climate control doesnt get touched!

Watch this: 

16 minutes ago, stripped fred said:

That will look good! I'll watch some other of his videos as I need to get my parking sensors working again.

Do you know who did the remap on yours?

It was a company called BR performance - though may not be around now or under a different name as it does not show on the internet.

Yeah Alejos channel is a good one to follow for S type stuff!! 

I bought al the gear he left in the description so should just go straight in!

2 hours ago, cpjitservices said:

Update.

Congratulations on getting it all sorted out. That is a really impressive amount of torque, it must be quite an effortless cruiser!!

17 hours ago, stripped fred said:

Wow, it looks like a factory install! Was there any swearing involved...?

Only once I'd put it all back together and the USB icon was greyed out... Lots of swearing ensued.... then realised... I had not plugged in the USB Lead! More swearing ensued at myself! Had to dismantle it all again and plug it in and then the USB icon lit up - LOL

• 1 month later...

Update. (Hasnt been one for a while).

I managed to source a brand new - old stock servo (cost me £480, mind) and it is getting fixed/fitted today - just had new thermostat housing as well as the one that was fitted split. Common problem apparently. 

Few bulbs to replace as well and need to trace A Coolant leak... which has appeared only after the thermostat housing was replaced. Weirdly. 

So today we should have a clean bill of health and a very nice, sublime driving car!

:)

Update later.

1 minute ago, colino said:

The next culprit will be the expansion tank then.

Yep, they do have a habit of splitting on the bottom side. Its definately possible.... in fact it could be that because when the car is cold it leaks.... when the car is warmed up it doesnt - hence, there could be a crack in the tank and when its warm the crack is not showing.  And also when the garage pressure tested the engine was warm - as they found no leak.