Oh dear its happened again! Jaguar S Type

cpjitservices

New car!

Warrior poorly so this will fill in whilst its off the road (Might be breaking anyone needs parts??) - although I think this is going to stick around as I regret selling the last one I had. 

This one is a fine 2.7 TDV6 on 05 plate with rare Perforated Black and Grey interior.

Needs new brake master cylinder and an MOT. Going to be a fun journey!

Great car, great colour! Looking forward to this!

Get the bills out of the way and enjoy it - they do drive great!

Here it is:

image (1).png

image (2).png

image.png

Does anyone know anything about brakes on these?

I have known this car for a while, and when I drove it for the first time I could tell something wasnt right, you could press brak epedal and it would seem to take an age to slow down, if you slammed on it would stop. But under normal braking conditions braking would take a while to apply - now, the ex-owner - had a servo fitted (used) and new vacuum pump and pipes replaced..... since then the brake pedal is hard. You can still stop the car but the brakes are locked on and the pedal is hard (as it would be). Brake lights are on as well when driving unless you fully lift the pedal. I think it is only front wheels which are locked on. 

Knackered Servo? 

Or start looking somewhere else?

Yes, the system has been bled several times.

10 hours ago, cpjitservices said:

Does anyone know anything about brakes on these?

I have known this car for a while, and when I drove it for the first time I could tell something wasnt right, you could press brak epedal and it would seem to take an age to slow down, if you slammed on it would stop. But under normal braking conditions braking would take a while to apply...

Straight away that says master cylinder fault. So they replaced the servo then...

Wheels and door mirrors if it breaks, thanks.

11 hours ago, cpjitservices said:

Whats up with it? Mine has brake issues!

Poor starting and running, excess diesel smoke, lack of power, coolant leak, sporadic warning lights for gearbox, ABS, DSC, electric parking brake non operational and a coolant leak. ECU was rebuilt recently and new battery bought (old one appears fine).

It was all fine before I left the ignition on overnight a few months ago. Lockdown and lack of use/short journeys has done it no favours either.

It's going into the garage on Monday for a wallet emptying session. In spite of all this it's a good, solid, tidy example and I like it. I am hopeful that it will all be fixed by the end of next week, but probably not a wise place to sink my cash...

3 hours ago, stripped fred said:

Poor starting and running, excess diesel smoke, lack of power, coolant leak, sporadic warning lights for gearbox, ABS, DSC, electric parking brake non operational and a coolant leak. ECU was rebuilt recently and new battery bought (old one appears fine).

It was all fine before I left the ignition on overnight a few months ago. Lockdown and lack of use/short journeys has done it no favours either.

It's going into the garage on Monday for a wallet emptying session. In spite of all this it's a good, solid, tidy example and I like it. I am hopeful that it will all be fixed by the end of next week, but probably not a wise place to sink my cash...

Usually Gearbox, DSC, EPB etc are all signs of a weak battery did you get a big one fitted? I often find the heavy duty ones a better on S types the slightest volateg drop and they get knickers iall in a twist! Coolant leak I have one of those aswell and its been on pressure test for 2.5hours and couldnt be found so not sure where it is coming from yet - but does lose a bit. Im not too worried unless it starts getting worse! 

Poor running I would have said could be DPF's but yours is 54 so pre DPF anyway, as mine is (mines an 05 and has the downturned tailpipes whcich = No DPF) WIN!!!!!!!

So Im guessing on yours will likely be manifolds coked up and EGR. 

1 hour ago, cpjitservices said:

Usually Gearbox, DSC, EPB etc are all signs of a weak battery did you get a big one fitted? I often find the heavy duty ones a better on S types the slightest volateg drop and they get knickers iall in a twist! Coolant leak I have one of those two and its been on pressure test for 2.5hours and couldnt be found so not sure where it is coming from yet - but does lose a bit. Im not too worried unless it starts getting worse! 

Poor running I would have said could be DPF's but yours is 54 so pre DPF anyway, as mine is (mines an 05 and has the downturned tailpipes whcich = No DPF) WIN!!!!!!!

So Im guessing on yours will likely be manifolds coked up and EGR. 

It was quite an 019 Enduroline Car Battery 100Ah battery. I did wonder if the gearbox/ABS/DSC fault might be an abs sensor?

Mine's had the EGR mapped out but it could certainly be coked up. It was running fine up until a few months ago. I have done lots of short, stop start journeys in it. Once it's fixed, assuming I'm not quoted a £2k bill, I will try and keep it for longer journeys and maybe fix up a battery charger for periods where it's left.

It just feels so nice to drive and sit in. Fingers crossed for Monday. I hope the shite gods are shining....

3 minutes ago, stripped fred said:

It was quite an 019 Enduroline Car Battery 100Ah battery. I did wonder if the gearbox/ABS/DSC fault might be an abs sensor?

Mine's had the EGR mapped out but it could certainly be coked up. It was running fine up until a few months ago. I have done lots of short, stop start journeys in it. Once it's fixed, assuming I'm not quoted a £2k bill, I will try and keep it for longer journeys and maybe fix up a battery charger for periods where it's left.

It just feels so nice to drive and sit in. Fingers crossed for Monday. I hope the shite gods are shining....

You and me both then, I am booked in for Monday to go use the ramp and tools at the local garage so I will be stripping down the Servo and Master Cylinder to see whats going on! Fingers crossed for us both.

42 minutes ago, cpjitservices said:

You and me both then, I am booked in for Monday to go use the ramp and tools at the local garage so I will be stripping down the Servo and Master Cylinder to see whats going on! Fingers crossed for us both.

Good luck! I hope both turn out to be easy fixes as these cars are great, when they work....🤞

1 hour ago, cpjitservices said:

Does yours have that 'smell'? Mine does, I opened it up earlier to check the mileage..... and got a wiff of that Leather/Jaguar smell.... cant beat it!

It certainly does! The interior is in great nick. If I can't get it fixed I might just sit in it on the drive...

Update = 1

Had the Jag into the garage an on the ramp at the weekend, I had some progress. Brakes are no longer locked on, I removed master cylinder from the servo to see if there was any adjustment and ALAS there was none, its already adjusted so should be fine - no adjustment as in, its already adjusted to pretty much spot on. Servo seems fine, spring etc is fine - had a look inside it with bore scope and all seemed well.

The progress is, now the brakes on the front are not stuck, however the nearside caliper is sticking/dragging - confirmed by putting the car on the brake rollers. 

The other bit of prgress is, the breakes are improved....however when my mate who owns the garage took the car for a spin he said the brakes felt Wooden, but are in the limits on the brake rollers! So its a bit werid and I get what he means when driving it, you press the brake pedal and it is a case of the car slows....slowly and you have  to increase pressure on the pedal but the car seems to slow down slowly including when slamming on! On the computer the diags have said the Servo was circuit open, and not saying circuit closed when brakes are applied, so I guess we may still have a fault in the wiring of the servo somewhere as this Jag has the electronic version. 

After all of this work I got home and coolant decided it would leave the car! Coolant tank was full to empty in about 6 seconds! Looking underneath I feared the worst - Coolant was pouring out from center of the engine so I feared it would be waterpump! It was actually the thermostat housing. Attached is a photo, and at this point I had reached the thermostat housing but not actually touched it... and you can see its completely split in half!

Thermostat housing replaced (£41) at Jaguar Main Dealer... not too bad! 

And then I had to reattach these pipe clamps/clips (In photo) - devils own work! Have ordered the special tool needed from ebay! I also lost the clip for the other side so the EGR pipe is now not currently connected (ordered 4 from Rimmer Bros £15 in delivery) so when those arrive and the tool, everything will be put back together again! 

Main thing is Thermostat housing is replaced and we seem to be no longer losing coolant will keep checking the level! But at the moment can see no leaks!

Hopefully, car going in to the garage this week for a replacement nearside caliper and hopefully no more dragging on that wheel. Then MOT next week!!!!!

File_000.png

File_000 (1).jpeg

5 minutes ago, brownnova said:

S-Types are becoming more and more appealing to me... I fear I won’t be able to resist much longer... 

Find yourself a nice 3.0 Litre with good service history and decent MOT history and your onto a Winner! Out of the range of engines as much as I love the 2.7 TDV6, the 3.0 is the best! Not bad economy either!

There is a V8 4.2 (and in earlier Reg's, a 4.0) which I would like to have one day! 

I would agree that the petrol seems less trouble, especially if you're not pounding the motorways each day.

Mine needs an injector, £200 new, and the mechanic hopes that will sort the running issue. He can then get on and sort the coolant leak, abs sensor etc.

The brakes on mine seem wooden. Extra pressure is needed when approaching a queue of traffic. However, if you press hard it stops quickly so I'm going to ignore this and put it down as character.

54 minutes ago, stripped fred said:

I would agree that the petrol seems less trouble, especially if you're not pounding the motorways each day.

Mine needs an injector, £200 new, and the mechanic hopes that will sort the running issue. He can then get on and sort the coolant leak, abs sensor etc.

The brakes on mine seem wooden. Extra pressure is needed when approaching a queue of traffic. However, if you press hard it stops quickly so I'm going to ignore this and put it down as character.

Well my brakes are the same! Is yours the 2.7 also? if so it could just be a 'thing' with them!

would it being part Yank affect the feel of the brakes????

I reckon they look gorgeous, there was a 3.0 V6 parked on my block when I moved in, used to sound fruity when started..

departed about 6 months ago along with his Lightweigh Landy and 110 Landy!!

Jag was BRG and manual...

2 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

would it being part Yank affect the feel of the brakes????

I reckon they look gorgeous, there was a 3.0 V6 parked on my block when I moved in, used to sound fruity when started..

departed about 6 months ago along with his Lightweigh Landy and 110 Landy!!

Jag was BRG and manual...

Im not sure the 3 Litre I had you could stop it on a 6 pence they where the sharpest brakes I have ever encountered, that being said maybe this is the way the 2.7 is?

It is a good looking car! And see very few now, there was a black one that would hang around here but its long since gone! that was a 4.2 V8 as well and had modified exhaust! Sounded, very nasty indeed but in a good way!

You heard it coming thats for sure!

55 minutes ago, colino said:

Maybe the diesel is different from the petrols, but if I even noticed the effort on slowing down this chunker (heavier than its bigger aluminium  XJ cousin) I would be worried.

I know what you mean, but i think its a charecteristic of the car. It stops.... and when you slam it stops on a six pence! I think it may  have a vacuum switch which only allows certain pressure at certain speeds - so I've read. 

23 hours ago, cpjitservices said:

Find yourself a nice 3.0 Litre with good service history and decent MOT history and your onto a Winner! Out of the range of engines as much as I love the 2.7 TDV6, the 3.0 is the best! Not bad economy either!

There is a V8 4.2 (and in earlier Reg's, a 4.0) which I would like to have one day! 

Yeah definitely petrol for me... a V8 very much appeals!