Top Gear BL Shite Special

Twinspark

Just saw this thread in another place I frequent:http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=426305I really hope the rumour isn't true.....

Yes, I also hope it isn't true, why do they have to pick on & destroy things for fun?? What exactly are they trying to teach us? That vandalising what you don't like is acceptable? I'm assuming that they went undercover to get hold of this car because it had obviously been looked after otherwise it wouldn't be in the condition it's in. No-one who had spent the last 26yrs looking after that car or having a hand in it would willingly hand it over to be obliterated!However, reading through the comments, I'm not a fan of this particular person, may they never get an invite to this forum!

Fair play if they were going to trash a 120k mile shitter of a Princess, but one with 26k??? There are probably more Veyrons in the country than low mileage Princess' in good condition. I'd be far happier if they were to trash a Morris Ital. Or a FSO Polonez. Or a SEAT Marbella. Or a Renault 14. Or....or.......

:twisted: (I may not 'dig' certain cars on here that other's may like, but I'd never wish any old car that has somehow made it this far, to be destroyed! It goes against the grain no-matter what it is. It's not about like or dislike, it's about principal. For example David Bellamy or Gerald Durrell could not claim to be nature lovers if they pour salt on slugs for example - I'm afraid it's all or nothing.

Sounds a bit too far fetched for Top Gear to me, I can imagine them bringing it on and giving it a good slating but I doubt they'd wreck a car of that condition. I don't watch it regularly but the cars I've seen them wreck were usually fairly tired examples.

I don't watch it regularly but the cars I've seen them wreck were usually fairly tired examples.

I can say from first hand experience that the Herald that became boat was restorable but was tired and they paid the going rate for a car advertised on the open market. It could be that they've bought the wedge for a road based driving challenge. They don't always wreck the cars. I can well imagine James May "choosing" to do some competitive events in some BL shite.

I am amazed at how many people on that thread want to see it destroyed I can understand them not wanting to own, drive or be seen dead in a princess (more fool them ) but actively wanting it to be destroyed just seems wrong

Because they all think a new silver BMW, Mercedes or Audi are the only cars that should be allowed on the roads :roll::evil:

I got annoyed at first, mainly due to the titbags on there saying "yes! destroy it! " But I`ve since heard that the car is not going to be destroyed on the show, I know it sounds a bit Avante Garde for Top Gear to feature a car worth less than fifty grand and more than a week old and not blow it up at the bottom of the sea or something but hopefully this will be the case.

That would be an absolutely appaulling act of vandalism if Plop gear decide to trash the Princess, just to raise a jocular laugh from the Impreza/EVO driving dullards they have in the studio. :roll: Yes, its from the time when BL products had a bit of a ahem, reputation, but does look to be a fantastic example of a rare survivor and deserves saving as a reminder to when we actually had an indigenous motor industry in this green and pleasant land....

Apparently the car might not be trashed, simply used in several 'tasks' with an SD1 and a Dolomite Sprint....Top Gear is a programe about three middle aged men trying to cope with their 'mid life crisis' in different ways. Clarkson's rants about most things BL/Rover are simply the same old tosh churned up in slightly different sequences. Hopefully the show will deonstrate that a Princess has more rear leg room than most modern shiters, a Dolly Sprint's performance will embarass shit a fraction of its age and the SD1 will stun viewers with its veltilated sill technology..... :D

I hope they don't wreck it.As a BL fan, I winced seeing Clarkson wreck a TR7, Marina and VP Allegro on youtube. Look them up- not for the faint hearted shite fans!I hope that rumour about some kind of Princess/SD1/Dolly Sprint challenge is true, as long as its not too destructive.R.

• 1 month later...

No, that was 5th Gear. Top Gear destroyed a load of other tat - including a Celica convertible if I recall - shooting them off air cannons to hit a target.5th Gear seems more preoccupied in smashing stuff up, but I don't watch it regularly because the presenters (with the exception of Jonny Smith) annoy me.

What about the one where they turned an E34 5 Series & a Ford Scorpio into giant radio controlled cars & bashed them into each other?

Are you talking about the crash test between a BMW and a Volvo 740?
The radio controlled BMW/Volvo crash test was on Fifth Gear when Quentin Willson was on it.A friend of mine was recently involved in the building of a radio controlled G-Whiz and Renault Alpine. They also fitted a Rover 200 with a turbocharger that was as nearly as big as the engine :shock: This was all for the latest Clarkson DVD.He also had a hand in rebuilding Hammond's (Camper van) and May's (Herald) boat vehicles for crossing the channel in the new series....

What about the one where they turned an E34 5 Series & a Ford Scorpio into giant radio controlled cars & bashed them into each other?

No on TG, it was Hammond Vs May one controlled an early 90s white 5 Series and the other controlled a black or blue frog face Scorpio. They stood at the side of this oval mud track & had to race each other remotely. They ended up shunting each other whilst this kid who was an expert took another car......possibly an Omega or something & showed them how it was done.I don't watch 5th Gear or any of the others, so it was definitely TG!

• 2 weeks later...

No on TG, it was Hammond Vs May one controlled an early 90s white 5 Series and the other controlled a black or blue frog face Scorpio. They stood at the side of this oval mud track & had to race each other remotely. They ended up shunting each other whilst this kid who was an expert took another car......possibly an Omega or something & showed them how it was done.

I don't watch 5th Gear or any of the others, so it was definitely TG!

This sequence was re-shown tonight on a repeat at 8pm on the new channel called 'Dave' on digital (freeview 19 and sky 111 I think)which shows popular repeats from comedy etc.

On 5th Gear they trashed an old 1.0L Charade by having that slightly wonky-faced car woman thrashing it around in Wales. Not sure what it was to prove exactly.What was funny is that despite them trying to put on a show by smashing it over bumps, doing big jumps, leaving it in 1st gear bouncing off the redline for absolutely ages, then even putting gravy and rubbish into the fuel tank, it just kept on going.Totally wasted their time I reckon - fantastic!

I missed most of the shows featuring that Hilux so I don't know exactly what it looked like when they first got it, from what I did see though it looked pretty tidy in the first place, bet they wouldn't have proved their point with a shagged out ex pikey wagon example with a hundredweight of concrete still stuck to the load bay.