The free Golf V5 now turns into money pit

Vince70

I started the car up for the first time since bringing it back from its MOT last week and even after just one oil change things are improving.

The engine sounds fantastic and although the oil is dirty it’s isn’t that horrific so come April I will use it for a month and try and get 500 miles in and drop the oil and filter again

The journey down to East Kent and back  alone should put close on a couple of hundred miles on the old girl.

4E33A518-F2FA-44CA-99AC-533DC6516F76.jpeg

48AB8FAF-FC31-4CC0-B754-931AE9A2E526.jpeg

Not much to report on the golf at the moment but I went all high tech and splashed out £4 on a Sat Nav for it as I can never get on using my phone as it always ends up in the footwell of the car if I need it for directions.

Also i fitted a new aerial base today as the old one was looking tired and the seal had gone and the aerial was snapped off anyway.

Its a cheap Chinese copy which I paid about £3 for as I went for the shorter aerial as I wanted the boy racer look and it works a treat also the longer aerial and base was another quid lol.

1F0BC22C-D234-4AC0-9223-02341A3F81CF.jpeg

4EBBB9E7-075D-438E-AB6E-4CB2B9F3C4FF.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I actually thought I might as well start using the V5 today and although I prefer driving my old Compact I would say the build quality is way ahead of the BMW as although neglected it feels a more expensive car although a bit boring to drive but it makes up for that with the lovely 5 pot burble.

I cleaned behind the arch liners yesterday and although it was full completely of mud I couldn’t find any rot which surprised me so while it was apart I gave it a coat of waxoyl.

I also put a new set of centre caps on the old girl and gave it a polish and removed the interior door handles as I wanted to remove the horrible rubber stuff that covers them.

I also popped over to my mums today and took her shopping in it and couldn’t believe the difference and was telling me my father was a real boy racer in the thing as he didn’t like to be beaten away from the traffic lights in it.

064C8041-E759-421F-9FF7-F58D6566508F.jpeg

6DF54F4C-3021-436D-A50E-BB0DD60B5108.jpeg

FF1236AB-85B8-47D6-B5C3-DE42C68C731F.jpeg

705E3C93-3D40-4D0A-A485-099FA802855D.jpeg

• Vince70 changed the title to V5 Golf is now getting used but has a dodgy temperature gauge.

Today it went for its first long drive in years and got 29.7 according to the computer and didn’t think that was bad for a 2.3 auto but I was doing a steady 50/60 mph and tried not using kick down if I could help it.

I did have one problem though and that was the temperature gauge fluctuates between quarter and a half and wondered if it’s got a dodgy thermostat or temp sensor.

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

I've had both fail - how quickly does it fluctuate?  If it drops quickly it's the sensor. Should be an easy fix, they normally push in with a clip to retain it

It seems to get up to the 90 halfway mark then I can see the temperature gauge drop down to the quarter mark in about a minute then when I turn the engine off and back on again it’s sitting at 90 again.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been using the car quite a bit lately and it’s been great and I can achieve 30 to the gallon if I don’t give it a kick down to often for a bit of 5 cylinder warble .

But I had a result the other day as I was on Facebook marketplace and a spare set of rear recaros in mint condition came up for free to collector as they’ve been sitting in the guys loft for years so went and picked those up yesterday so if I ever get a rip in one of my front seats or damage the rears I now won’t have a problem sourcing the material or I can just replace the rears.

At the moment though it’s at the garage as I’ve started getting a knock when hitting potholes from the front suspension and the ABS light has now decided to come on permanently and my cheap code reader says it’s a near side front sensor and I’m hoping the knock is just drop links and roll bar bushes.

A4085CDC-870B-4DA5-83BA-3812A2EBA326.jpeg

• Vince70 changed the title to The free Golf V5 now gets a freebie interior
  • 3 weeks later...

I went and picked the Golf up from the garage as it had a wiring problem with the ABS and it also needed a sensor plus the front suspension was clonking badly so the bushes need refreshing.

The drive back home is about 25 miles and I couldn’t believe how much better the car is to drive as it’s now so smooth and the steering seems  so much more precise it actually feels like a completely different car to drive and the journey back I achieved 32mpg.

• Vince70 changed the title to The free Golf V5 now turns into money pit

Yesterday while the weather was nice I decided to give the car another oil and filter change to clean the last of the sludge out and all went well but while I was at it I thought it was best to give the car a set of new plugs.

I went to take the engine cover off and found that someone had been there before and the cover was broken with only one loose bolt holding it on so I’ve got to find some bolts for that and when I took the leads off I found one was worn through to the core and the leads on these are not cheap.

Also one of the breather hoses has collapsed plus it  had a hole in it but when I type the part number PX0 416 487 I can’t find anything online.

Also the abs light has now come back on  and it’s a fault saying nsf again but the wiring has been repaired and the sensor replaced and you can feel the brake pedal kind of grabs just before the light kicks in.

0E96D895-6648-4589-80A1-05B66F229EB0.jpeg

6A6B966A-580A-4C0D-99F8-1C5434C2DC8D.jpeg

1736D18D-84C7-47C0-B0EF-6F0DBC5DE3C7.jpeg

EFFC8011-3608-43F4-8698-6AC0084E5D45.jpeg

BCA14945-C410-437F-A028-C2FCC2F7ABC6.jpeg

Is there a chance someone's been in there before and put something on that shouldn't have been there? 

I've found the VW part number for it but can't find a supplier in the UK. Pelican parts in the USA have it but it's $100 minus all the cost of getting it over here. 

071 103 474 is the part. Is it bodgeable with a off the shelf T piece? 

Screenshot_20210603_111529_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Thank you very much for all your help.

Today I managed to repair the engine cover with a bit of two pack adhesive  as someone had by the looks of things broke it previously and lost most of the bolts in the process and  I also put in a new set of plugs but was presently surprised that the old ones came out okay and didn’t look that bad.

One of the leads looked in a bad way and had a cut right through to the core so I taped it up for now till my next payday as it’s £56 for a set of leads for this old girl.

I phoned up my local VW main dealership who were really helpful and are part of the same group as my old BMW and I can get spares relatively cheaply through them for the BM but the dealership couldn’t help when it came to the V5 but gave me the proper part number which was nice of them and gave me a phone number to try as VW don’t keep stock in general pre 2005 these days also VW heritage couldn’t help and was told it’s hard to get early V5 bits.

At the moment I’ve put a  bit of insulation tape around the lead and the hole in the breather pipe and it’s running okay and will go with spurious’s idea and put a stent in the breather pipe. 

Also I phoned up the lovely garage I use who are fantastic and they said bring the car in anytime and leave it with us and they will try and get to the bottom of the ABS problem which means I get to drive my lovely E36 or my Z3 so that’s a win in my books.

9B825279-B4DF-49BA-B8A1-24F017267D68.jpeg

E30616DB-EB46-4804-A818-6ADE4BC1688E.jpeg

6BB4E64A-E78F-4214-8B16-909D5FA55FD0.png

The good old Golf self repaired itself today as I stopped off on the way to the garage and turned the engine back on and the abs light turned off and hasn’t come back on since.

But I still popped into the garage and there wasn’t much that can be done so on my way I went 

On the way to the garage I went through some big puddles as it’s been pouring down here so I’m putting it down to it getting a wash underneath lol.

I took spurious’s good advice and went for the silicone t piece hose he put up and for some reason all of them are a tenner apart from the one I want as long as I don’t mind red as that one is 99p delivered to my doorstep so I’m deeply grateful for the link.

Also on the way over I pressed a button and cruise control activated and it was weird going all Tesla and having a self driving car and that heater auto climate thingy is witchcraft lol.